Benadryl for withdrawal, yes or no?

[Th...]

I was sure I’d quit taking the diphenhydramine, but now I’m not sure. Almost 3 weeks in cold turkey and feeling pretty poor. It helps a ton. Almost to the point where I don’t feel like I’m in withdrawal. It’s not perfect, I notice some mental confusion and other symptoms, but on the whole I feel much better when I take it. And I was taking it at all hours, just less during the day. I imagine that any benefit it’s giving me is only going to make my time more difficult when I am not on it or stop using it- I have already discovered this after using it for only about a week.

Anyone have experience using Benadryl for withdrawal? Maybe I could do like 1/4 a pill a day just to take the edge off? But yeah, a little scared to trade one evil for another. Feel like you have to choose if you want to pay now or pay later with a lot of these medications, no one gets away

[78...]
I took diphen and doxy (the sleep med in Unisom) during my withdrawal.  They helped a little with my sleep (doxy helped me better than diphen).  I actually took doxy before I started benzos, but it's effectiveness wore off after prolonged use.  I'd assume something similar will happen in time with diphen, although I don't think there's any withdrawal associated with cessation.

Hello! I have been taking benadryl daily for the past 3 months since my cold turkey from klonopin. While it is not perfect, I think I would have been in the hospital a long time without it! I did try to quit it for a few days because it makes me gain weight, messes with my blood pressure, and just causes me to be drowsy. But, by day 4 my horrible head pain/brain zaps came screaming back so I gave in. I have seen people in forums who have used it for up to a year and a half post withdrawal safely. I think its not the cleanest med but its better than benzos and way better than many psyc meds. I don't think it can cause any lasting damage really. I think I am going to keep taking it at the lowest dose I can and just hope I can eventually heal & get off of it. Good luck!

Something to keep in mind with antihistamines is that they can affect hearing and balance. They're on the list of "ototoxic" medications and they're also known as "vestibular suppressants", so if you're getting any ringing in your ears, hearing changes or dizziness, then the medication could be causing those symptoms. Other "vestibular suppressants" are benzos and anticholinergics.

I, for one, have had ongoing balance and tinnitus issues and wouldn't touch those medications.

This link might be of interest:

https://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/vestibular-medication 

I have used benadryl here and there.  I actually don't like the drugged- I have to fall asleep right now-feeling from anything anymore, so I do not really like benadryl. 

• 5 weeks later...
I believe I have read somewhere that Benedryl can help with SSRI withdrawal??? Before benzos, I used to take Benedryl here and there to help with sleep and noticed no adverse effects ….

Well, it wouldn't be a good idea to take it day after day. Like all medications, it can have side effects. See my post above re: ototoxic medications. It's on the list.

I too am leery of taking another med to fix symptoms as that is what got me into this mess. But I have tried Benadryl many times when I desperately want to sleep. It doesn’t really do the job but I am so conditioned to take “something” to get to sleep that I keep trying anyway. Ridiculous, I know.

I’d love to know if anyone else has had success with anything natural as a sleep aid. Someone somewhere mentioned a magnesium spray (or cream)? I didn’t write it down and now wonder what it was. I get so anxious if I can't fall asleep which counteracts the sleep process. Open to ideas!! Thanks everyone!

I took diphen and doxy (the sleep med in Unisom) during my withdrawal.  They helped a little with my sleep (doxy helped me better than diphen).  I actually took doxy before I started benzos, but it's effectiveness wore off after prolonged use.  I'd assume something similar will happen in time with diphen, although I don't think there's any withdrawal associated with cessation.

Bad so ref- can the doxylamine be purchased OTC? Thx!

[78...]
Doxy is the active ingredient in Unisom sleep tabs.  It's also found in NyQuil.  Probably found in some other formulations.  Check the label.

Doxy is the active ingredient in Unisom sleep tabs.  It's also found in NyQuil.  Probably found in some other formulations.  Check the label.

Would you expect in major differences in taking Benadryl vs hydroxyzine??

I believe they are the same thing. Hydroxyzine is prescription Benadryl.

The active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine.

I used to take benadryl every night. A doctor told me to stop doing that. So I stopped. The buzzing I used to get when I woke up stopped too.

The active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine.

The same. What’s the point in that

I used to take benadryl every night. A doctor told me to stop doing that. So I stopped. The buzzing I used to get when I woke up stopped too.