Librium help

[Ma...]

Hi all! I know Librium isn’t one of the more common Benzos out there so not sure if anyone has any experience or advice but all is appreciated!

I was originally prescribed Librium for alcohol withdrawal Oct 5. 10mg. I took that for a few days before seeing my gp who gave me 5mg which I took for another 5 days then stopped. About a week after stopping, my anxiety really ramped up. I mostly tried to push through but there were a few times that I would take one (usually just one every few days). I eventually developed a worrying physical symptom so saw my gp and he said it was anxiety and to start taking the 5mg 3x a day. So I’ve been taking it regularly since Nov 1. Last week I decided I want to come off it so I started spacing out my doses more. I did 2 a day Tues-Thurs (actually a little more spaced out probably every 15-18hrs, one Friday and one Saturday. I was thinking I’d stop there but I started reading about withdrawal symptoms, freaked myself out to where I was close to a panic worrying about a seizure (extreme health anxiety here) so I took one yesterday at 3pm. I just want to get off these things but this is the reason I couldn’t quit alcohol on my own, too afraid of the withdrawal symptoms. Librium doesn’t come any smaller than 5mg so I’m not sure what to do. If you made it this far thanks for reading! Any advice?

Does no one have any advice? Finally got ahold of my gp who told me to just stop taking it...not sure how I feel about that, read to many horror stories. Is opening the capsule and taking part of it out an option possibly? I know this is the lowest of the low when it comes to Benzos and maybe I’m overreacting but I want to do this right.

Hi, I tapered Librium. I have lots of info on it in my progress log here: gardener99's Progress Log. I started on Xanax and ended on Librium so you'll have to turn a few pages. I think start at the bottom of page 2.

I don't think many people have had success with spacing out the doses longer and longer. You end up in withdrawal while waiting for the next dose. Not pleasant.

I would just make sure your prescriber keeps prescribing for now. Investigate how you want to taper. Make a plan. I don't think you will need to make a long, slow plan. You haven't been on it very long. But do make a plan. With a good plan, you will succeed. :thumbsup:

If you are able, please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses, etc.) that will appear appear below your posts. It will help members give you relevant advice. Go to the top of the page and select profile. Then choose forum profile. Then insert your drug history into the text box. Remember to click change profile when you’ve finished.

Gardie :)

I read through some of your progress log. I have no idea what I’m doing and it’s all very overwhelming. One question...as you were tapering you didn’t cut out doses, just dropped the strength of your doses?

I read through some of your progress log. I have no idea what I’m doing and it’s all very overwhelming. One question...as you were tapering you didn’t cut out doses, just dropped the strength of your doses?

Yes, I reduced each dose.

The first post on the top of page 3 explains in detail my system for liquefying and tapering Librium. Just focus on that post for now. It can be kind of information-overload at first, but read it a few times and it will start to make more sense.

If you want to try this method, you should go to the Titration board. That's where people give out advice about liquefying and tapering. You could title your thread Need Help with Librium Titration. People can help with math. I can help with liquefying.

You can also consider weighing your powder. It has been done successfully. Personally, I think it's tricker, but some prefer not to liquefy. If you want to do that you would ask How to Weigh Powder. I'm sure somebody is on here who has done it that way.

So, choose your method and go over to Titration where you will get help.

I'll look for you on the Titration board. If you need liquefying advice and I don't show up, click on HelpDesk and ask for me. Someone will give me a poke. ;)

Meanwhile: If you have a script and your doctor wants you to take it, I think you should just take the script as prescribed and you will be fine while you work this out. You are approaching this right. First learn and plan. Then taper. :thumbsup:

My two cents.......You have not been on long AT ALL and  you should, if possible, try to get off sooner rather than later, and attempt to find other ways to cope with the anxiety.  It hopefully would eventually subside.  If it were me, with a short usage, I would try to taper it over the next 2-6 weeks - whether that's opening capsules, dropping one dose a day, etc.  You don't want to prolong this if you can get off sooner rather than later...... 

I eventually developed a worrying physical symptom so saw my gp and he said it was anxiety and to start taking the 5mg 3x a day. So I’ve been taking it regularly since Nov 1. Last week I decided I want to come off it so I started spacing out my doses more.

Hi Maddox. My advice to you is based on your words above. If you've been taking Librium daily for anxiety for 3 weeks, you may be physically dependent on it. However, as I stated above, you have not been on it long so it is unlikely you need a slow taper.

I see you are on a tapering board and getting some good advice there. :thumbsup: I'll check in with you there.