If I needed Benzo for anxiety what will prevent it when I’m off?

[Ma...]

I have always had anxiety and I have been thankful over the past 30+ years that I had something to stop it.  I never knew how bad the drug was for me.  What will I do with the anxiety (assuming it comes back or is still there) when I am off Benzo?

Hi Marc,

This is such an important question.  Have you checked out the Anxiety board here?  Lots of helpful suggestions.

I'm still in WD post jump so I don't have the answer.  But, in WD my anxiety has reared its ugly 8 heads big time periodically and here's what I've done to find relief and/or fend it off:

Cardio, strength training and stretching (don't push yourself too hard or it will backfire) 

Daily meditation (I use the Headspace app which I LOVE)

Getting tons of sleep

Avoid refined sugar

Avoid alcohol

Avoid caffeine

Healthy diet - whole grains, fish, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit

Supplements - fish oil,  and magnesium mixed in cold water which I sip throughout the day (learned this from            SurvivingAntidepressant group)

Chamomile tea

Reducing stress in my life as much as possible (eg reading the news VERY selectively)

Hydration - I always carry a big water bottle with me

Getting out in nature and getting some sunlight at least briefly every day

Therapy

Mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)  workbook by Forsyth and Effect - excellent book

And sometimes , just cutting myself some slack to get less done in the course of a day than I'd hoped.

Wishing you much healing,

Brighterday

Find other options. Ashwaganda? I think its called..natural stress support...helps rebuild adrenals etc....Go see someone who can teach u how to control your thoughts...thoughts are what make us anxious...or a situation. Learn to be in the moment, not living thinking on the past or future too much.

There are techniques to learn...i saw a hypnotist, not what u think tho...more of a teacher of the things i mentioned above.

Investigate any supplement u may decide to use.

Simply from my own experience, I have always “cycled” my Klonopin, which helped me to not need more (though 2 mg a day wasn't a small amount), so I would do what I used to with my workout and supplements, if I took 2 mg for a few weeks, I’d shift when I took the amount to later in the day. I would drop down to 1.5 for a few days, then 2, then 1.5. I would always take it in the morning on an empty stomach, and when I had a chance to relax while letting it take effect. I would constantly go based on meals, taking it before I ate, instead of being full and often not feeling like it did as much.

Ultimately, I would only take what was prescribed, and try to go for less. Lots of water has helped me too

I guess what I posted wasn’t really relevant, I think I was looking at a different title when I responded.

I know this isn’t a long term answer, and isn’t the absolute best suggestion, but Benadryl has helped me a lot during difficult times, if you are able to take a nap, that can help on a once in a while.

Other possibles... I’ve used St. John’s wart which did have an effect on me, but it’s not always recommended to mix that with other prescribed medications.

Breathing exercises, doing the grip, hold, and release method has worked well for me as well.

find a good therapist and talk your way out of it. I am learning how to cope with anxiety and stress without resorting to popping pills. The benzos lie to us. We are not coping when we take a pill, we're masking the symptoms. The price is too high.

I was thinking about your question as I posted on another thread, that person is 36 now and started benzo's at 21 for anxiety.  You began taking this drug 30 years ago, think about the changes in your life, how you've matured, the tools you've learned to deal with your business, your children and life in general.  Your life experience I think will help you deal with your future anxiety, not the benzo withdrawal anxiety on steriods you're living with right now.

I can see you using this horrific experience as a tool for your future, I think you'll be able to face any future anxiety with a shrug and say, this is nothing compared to what I've endured. 

If you still have some anxiety after this, and that's a big IF, then find the root cause of it. You don't just have anxiety for no reason, humans are designed to have anxiety to indicate something isn't right. And there can be one or more reasons for this anxiety. Find a good therapist and yes, they are about as hard to find as a benzo wise doctor, that will help you find what is causing your angst.

You may find it is something rather small or something that needs a lifestyle overhaul. That's how you deal with it.

I too have had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, that's what got me started on this garbage in the first place, but man I didn't know what a panic attack was until I quit taking Xanax, it wasn't natural, it was like a panic attack on steroids. A normal panic attack was like a walk in a park. I was going to tell you to not start tapering, but since you have, take it slow.

Hello!!

I also have anxiety (thats why I took the med). I can tell you that when you are off its SO much better (I experience it when im in windowns) theres a LOT of things you can do to manage anxoety.

• Nutrition (this is a HUGE one)

• Exercise

• Lifestyle

• Relaxation (yoga, meditation, etc)

• Therapy (CBT, DBT, Somatic Experience)

• Nutritional Supplements

• Nootropics

Hope this finds you well!