Who here had an exercise induced set back?

[ra...]

Rancom I know you meant no offense and I never felt offended by you! I'm doing all that but after my crash last summer I had to updose and I've been holding four months. Will probably hold for one whole year. I just have to be functional. There's no one to do all this for me. I thank God that my updose and hold is keeping me functional in spite of feeling anxiety and fear all day as if I was plugged to the electric current. However, can you believe that after eating too much yesterday, croissant included, last night I slept eight hours for the first time in months? Weird. Maybe it's some sort of semi window. Today I hope I gather strength to do a leg workout. I'll inform.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [ra...]

• [De...]

• [Te...]

I haven't even been able to exercise the way I'd like to, especially with using weight-resistance exercises and stretching. About the only thing I can do is walk.

The first thing I thought of was using coffee as a setting-off point because I could better control that. I have still not been able to drink coffee every day, though gradually it's getting better. Last week I drank too many days in a row and started feeling like I'd taken LSD or something. A very uncomfortable feeling in the head, and pushing it, I knew, would NOT be good. I had to quit for a few days.

It's a very delicate dance we have to do around exercise and drinking coffee, for those who are very sensitive. And I've kindled because of dropping a number of bp pills too fast.

When the terrible feelings start coming up, it's best to lay back for a bit on the exercise. See if you can start it up again within a few days. If not, wait a little longer. You may not have to quit for that long of a period of time IF you heed the warning signals. I believe that if you don't heed them and continue to go full-bore, the longer it will take to recuperate.

For me it's been starting and stopping, over and over again. The time between stopping and starting up again has been shorter as I've gone along. But it's taking a hell of a long time. I just want my body to be able to take stress again without going berserk.

I haven't even been able to exercise the way I'd like to, especially with using weight-resistance exercises and stretching. About the only thing I can do is walk.

The first thing I thought of was using coffee as a setting-off point because I could better control that. I have still not been able to drink coffee every day, though gradually it's getting better. Last week I drank too many days in a row and started feeling like I'd taken LSD or something. A very uncomfortable feeling in the head, and pushing it, I knew, would NOT be good. I had to quit for a few days.

It's a very delicate dance we have to do around exercise and drinking coffee, for those who are very sensitive. And I've kindled because of dropping a number of bp pills too fast.

When the terrible feelings start coming up, it's best to lay back for a bit on the exercise. See if you can start it up again within a few days. If not, wait a little longer. You may not have to quit for that long of a period of time IF you heed the warning signals. I believe that if you don't heed them and continue to go full-bore, the longer it will take to recuperate.

For me it's been starting and stopping, over and over again. The time between stopping and starting up again has been shorter as I've gone along. But it's taking a hell of a long time. I just want my body to be able to take stress again without going berserk.

Terry I think you're right about the exercise. I was really feeling much worse and I'm taking a break from exercising until my brain tells me it's ok to try again. I do walk every day though. Walking kept me alive when I crashed last summer. Thank God I can walk. I agree what you say about exercise but are you sure you want to drink coffee in withdrawal? I take decaf, but coffee? Wow, you like to walk on the wild side  ;)

Valium, I'm just incredibly stubborn and impulsive. I used to drink coffee, no problem, before benzos every day. I refuse to back down on this. I'm stubborn as a mule!! Yes, it's been perilous, and my CNS has gone ballistic plenty of times. But luckily I've backed off the coffee before hitting the critical point-of-no-return in terms of being set back for weeks or months. The good news is that I'm able to shorten the time between not drinking and drinking. It's taken plenty of time and persistence. After I'm able to withstand coffee, my next step is to start exercising with weights and do yoga. I'm not sure if the coffee drinking will help this. Time will tell.

Well Terry, as stubborn as you are with coffee I am with carbs. I will NEVER do the ketto diet. I'd love to see your progress. I'll post when I exercise again and the effect on my sxs. Now my wave was getting worse and I had important errands to run. Gnight everybody.

I'll never do the keto diet, either, Valium. Yes, I'd like to see your progress and learn from you, too!

Goodnight - I hope your wave settles down soon!! :smitten:

I'm quitting coffee for now, Valium. It does nothing for me. I used to have a fired-up brain with it Now I fall asleep and then have a toxic wakeup. It's not worth it.

Rancom, Terry, I want to report that since last wendesday, that means for seven days, I have not done any strength training and have limited my activity to walking in the forest near my place. The reasons have been :flu shot, a bad wave, and a lot of work. I must say that for the past two days I'm feeling better than ever withdrawal wise since my crash last summer. I really have to suspect that the strength workouts were worsening my symptoms. My question is, do the workouts only worsen my symptoms or do they also prevent me from healing? If it's only a worsening in symptoms I'd like to continue working out because I love to be strong. However, I'm hesitant to workout now and possibly hinder my recovery. I'm going to my once a week physical therapy appointment. He's the guy who gave me the leg workout exercises as he's doing a great job helping me recover from a chronic knee tendonitis. I'll talk to him about this and ask him to lower the intensity of my workouts. He seems quite open to believing this bwd thing. He's a smart guy. I want to add that not only leg workouts rev up my sxs. When I do planks they rev up too. A shame, as planks are so good to strengthen the core, good for my back and good for everything. I hope you guys wake up to a beautiful symptoms free morning.

Rancom, Terry, I want to report that since last wendesday, that means for seven days, I have not done any strength training and have limited my activity to walking in the forest near my place. The reasons have been :flu shot, a bad wave, and a lot of work. I must say that for the past two days I'm feeling better than ever withdrawal wise since my crash last summer. I really have to suspect that the strength workouts were worsening my symptoms. My question is, do the workouts only worsen my symptoms or do they also prevent me from healing? If it's only a worsening in symptoms I'd like to continue working out because I love to be strong. However, I'm hesitant to workout now and possibly hinder my recovery. I'm going to my once a week physical therapy appointment. He's the guy who gave me the leg workout exercises as he's doing a great job helping me recover from a chronic knee tendonitis. I'll talk to him about this and ask him to lower the intensity of my workouts. He seems quite open to believing this bwd thing. He's a smart guy. I want to add that not only leg workouts rev up my sxs. When I do planks they rev up too. A shame, as planks are so good to strengthen the core, good for my back and good for everything. I hope you guys wake up to a beautiful symptoms free morning.

Ooh, you live near a forest?

I am jealous of that!  ;)

Ooh, you live near a forest?

I am jealous of that!  ;)

Barbarave yes I know  :smitten:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for that post on what Baylissa says about bwd and exercise. I know someone posted it somewhere recently but now I can't find it. Could someone post it here? I want to translate it and read it to my physiotherapist.

I am going to read the link, but thank you, Valium, for this information on your healing. I feel the same way. Yesterday I was working with weights and felt miserable afterwards. Walking is fine, though. I would like so much to get out of this trap because I know how well I used to feel after working out.

Thank you! :smitten:

This evening I've gone back to leg exercises but not as strenuous. I've talked to physiotherapist and I'm toning it down. I'm really concerned after reading Nov 3 story here and ramcon saying that there are other cases. It's not like I'm even stable to begin with so I'm going to keep doing strength exercises but more carefully. I won't stop altogether because I'll probably be holding and tapering for a long time and my body would fall apart. I have injuries that need to be compensated with exercise :herniated disc, condromalasia and other stuff.

For the record, so far, only Nov3 has had a SETBACK he can pinpoint to resuming exercise.  And again, I am NOT saying I do not believe Nov3, but everyone else has proven to either feel an uptick that dissipates, or had other issues that were probably more influential in the setback.

I till think exercise, as tolerated, does more good than harm

ramcon1

Ativan 1 year.

Pretty shit for 2 years after, but functional. Mostly physical pain and sensitivity. Not many brain symptoms.

About a month or 2 prior to my 2 year benzo anniversary I started hitting the gym hard.

Daily heavy lifting, daily cardio, daily sauna sessions. I wanted to get my body and mind back to feeling sharp. I felt I was steadily recovering from benzos and feeling pretty decent, but wanted to push it back to 100. It felt damn good at first.

About two weeks after the (nearly) daily exercise routine, I started getting waves of this really weird, dizzy, light-headedness. I had random bouts of dysautonomia for the 2 years since benzos, but never as constant and persistent as this felt. I also began noticing some new pains that gradually appeared with the new intense dysautonomia. Pains in locations I never had pain.

Then after a couple weeks of feeling this way, still pushing myself in the gym, I was driving home from my routine one day and shit snapped. I had the most intense feeling of dysautonomia I have ever had. It feel like my consciousness was slapped by some cosmic force. My whole brain and vision like turned on its side. I couldn't see clear or think clear. I pulled over, nearly wrecked. And called my family to take me to the ER. I thought I was having a stroke.

My nervous system continued to act crazy leading up to going to the ER. My chest and head burned. I thought something was seriously wrong; heart attack, stroke, something that was going to kill me... This fueled my panic, which made all the symptoms worse. The light pain I was feeling in my lower abdomen after my work outs became scarily intense and deep. My dysautonomia was worse than I thought was possible. I felt like I would never be the same again. I was sure I would die.

In the ER things continued and I kept panicking. On top of all of the absurd nervous system symptoms that overcame me, I likely began to have an actual panic attack too in the fear of what what happening to me. And that, again, just increased symptoms to their max. They gave me IVs of benadryl.

I woke up the next day, hardly remembered any of it. But the dysautonomia and new physical pain have remained for the past 5 months now. They're better than they were when I first woke up the morning after the incident. I contemplated dying for the first month. It's better than that now. But it is still debilitating. I also now have major fatigue, extreme chemical sensitivity, and extreme intolerance to temperatures and light. None of which I had prior to the setback.

This was a setback because he didn't heed the warning signs which kept going. He reminds me of Jennifer Leigh, who got into a similar bind.

But I don't blame them. We all want to feel better, and so we may keep going with the heavy exercise because we think of ourselves being healthy BEFORE benzos. You have to STOP when you start feeling dizzy, like an LSD trip gone bad.

He says, "It felt damn good at first."

About two weeks after the (nearly) daily exercise routine, I started getting waves of this really weird, dizzy, light-headedness. I had random bouts of dysautonomia for the 2 years since benzos, but never as constant and persistent as this felt. I also began noticing some new pains that gradually appeared with the new intense dysautonomia. Pains in locations I never had pain.

This is the CNS giving out its warning signals, loud and clear. In fact, the first time he felt the "weird, dizzy, lightheadedness," I think he should have stopped right there and waited for the feelings to subside. It's hard to know how long he'd have to wait before starting again, but I bet it would have been a shorter time than what suffering he's been going through.

This is what I hate the most about benzo symptoms. We're caught in a terrible bind. Should we keep going? But the CNS has a different time clock for everything. It's not the same as ours. We have to respect it. But it's very, very hard to keep dialing back the exercise and heeding the signs.

For the record, so far, only Nov3 has had a SETBACK he can pinpoint to resuming exercise.  And again, I am NOT saying I do not believe Nov3, but everyone else has proven to either feel an uptick that dissipates, or had other issues that were probably more influential in the setback.

I till think exercise, as tolerated, does more good than harm

ramcon1

My back is happy to hear that!

Good post Terry, but it's so difficult to tell the difference between the symptoms that are warning us to stop, or those that we should just continue exercising with longer rests between series. How do you tell the difference? And nov 3 was two years of the drug. Anyway I think Rancom is right, only one case so far is not significant enough for all of us to panic and stop exercising. But tone it down? Definitely yes. Yesterday, the most strenuous exercise of my routine I toned down. It's getting up on a bench with only one leg. Up down up down, three series of ten with each leg. It really makes me sweat and lightheaded. My physio said I can skip it, but I found a lower platform to do it, and I felt better. My physio will say yes to anything as I told him this bwd gave me SI in summer, so he doesn't want dead patients obviously.

I don't know if it just me. When I exvercise ot seems like thr mucles never recover. I was doing  stretching and strenthening almost everyday. I could tell i was getting stronger. Plus walking a few rime a week. I had to stop after switching to teva. The muscles are really sensitive. It is so strange. I got a foam roller andit is great. Do our muscles ever recover from the excercise. M8ne always feel strange and painful. 

I don't know if it just me. When I exvercise ot seems like thr mucles never recover. I was doing  stretching and strenthening almost everyday. I could tell i was getting stronger. Plus walking a few rime a week. I had to stop after switching to teva. The muscles are really sensitive. It is so strange. I got a foam roller andit is great. Do our muscles ever recover from the excercise. M8ne always feel strange and painful.

Exactly the same. I never recover. I have sore muscles as if I'd worked out the previous day even though I was resting for seven days.

I'm almost 6 years out, and I still get repercussions from exercise. The only thing is, my bp goes way up. That's my clue to stop and rest. I also get dizziness and have an LSD-type feeling in my head. I'm so scared of getting a setback that I stop right then and there.

It's so awful what these drugs do. We think exercise is going to work wonders and we'll feel all the better for it. Clueless doctors give us the same advice. But the CNS and glutamate are formidable enemies in this. It was never meant to be this way at all, yet I'm sure those who created these drugs saw all this coming and didn't stop it.

• 3 weeks later...

I did.

I started getting facial/jaw spasms and bad DP/DR from overworking at the gym.

Now, it's light weights and a gentle workout, until my receptors heal completely.

I feel okay. Sometimes I get dizzy, but most of the time, I can hack a light workout.

Dave.  8)