~ Post Surgery ~ Pre-Med Versed (Midazolam) ~

[Se...]

I had umbilical hernia surgery this morning.  I was at the hospital for six hours. I was extremely anxious the entire week worrying about the surgery and decisions to be made.  After 10 to 15 years on alprazolam, I’ve been off that for 36 days!!  Yeah!  :thumbsup:

I am now tapering clonazepam.  DLMT dose is .73mg/day divided into 3 equal doses. My conundrum leading up to the day was whether or not to have a benzo given as a pre-med for surgery.  I said I wouldn’t.  Too risky.

This morning I spoke at length with my surgeon, two nurses and two anesthesiologists.  Though doctors got most of us where we are today, I took their advice and did have Versed (midazolam) administered via IV given my anxiety status at the time: insane.  :idiot:

I asked what the usual dose was and opted for half the dosage. It’s extremely short acting and feel confident it will not interfere with my tapering journey.

I refused narcotic fentanyl post surgery as well as a written narcotic script for pain management at home. I opted for Tylenol and ice packs.  I’m in a good amount of pain right now but coping.  Really hoping it stays that way.

I’m not going to beat myself up over this.  It’s over and done and don’t believe it will have any impact whatsoever on my current taper.

Now...if I could just feel better!!  Ouch  :-\

Thanks for reading!

Great job, SeptGirl!!! Best wishes for a speedy and increasingly pain-free recovery. I went the same route as you for my surgery last month, and all went well. I was holding at 1.75 mg Valium daily and got the go ahead to resume my taper from 1.75 Valium a day and am currently doing pretty well. I wish the same to you and congratulate you for doing the surgery and making it through!!

Belle67

Hi septgirl,

Thank god its over! You must be relieved. Dont.beat yourself up.you did nothing wrong. You had a surgery and handled it well. Hope your pain lifts for you soon. Best wishes  :smitten:

Great job, SeptGirl!!! Best wishes for a speedy and increasingly pain-free recovery. I went the same route as you for my surgery last month, and all went well. I was holding at 1.75 mg Valium daily and got the go ahead to resume my taper from 1.75 Valium a day and am currently doing pretty well. I wish the same to you and congratulate you for doing the surgery and making it through!!

Belle67

Thanks @Belle67! It was a tough go but I thank God it’s over and I made it!!  Very stressful as you well know.  I’m doing okay despite the expected pain. I hope my taper improves and some symptoms diminish.

Great job for you, too!  We are bad asses when needed.  :thumbsup:

SG

Hi septgirl,

Thank god its over! You must be relieved. Dont.beat yourself up.you did nothing wrong. You had a surgery and handled it well. Hope your pain lifts for you soon. Best wishes  :smitten:

Thanks @Dehytq2!  I am very relieved it’s over.  Going through recovery is painful but I’m managing the best I can. Taper is moving forward and don’t regret my decision for pre-med before surgery.  It was one and done. 

Thanks for the good wishes!  :-*

SG

💜

You did it SeptGirl, and you did it the best way for you!!

I wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery and your continued taper.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Woo hoo, it’s over!  :clap:  And right you are, nothing to beat yourself up over.

@Challis99 Yes...it’s over! Tough recovery for an old girl like me. Lots of pain/swelling but I’m managing. I’m so impatient...it’s day two post surgery!  :laugh:

You did it SeptGirl, and you did it the best way for you!!

I wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery and your continued taper.

pianogirl  :smitten:

@pianogirl...Thanks for the good wishes! Hoping for a speedy recovery.  I’m relieved it’s over that’s for sure!  :D

Just dropping by to say well done for getting through surgery.. It's not something you want to do when tapering, but you managed it, . Well done.

Wishing you a swift recovery , and hopefully it might ease some of the nausea,  If not, it needed  to be done anyway and now it's out of the way.

I hope you are managing to get some much needed sleep, At least get plenty of rest. and you take good care of yourself

Sending you healing thoughts for a fast recovery

Jen

Thanks Jen! It’s been pretty painful with lots of uncomfortable swelling but hoping for improvement every day.  Tough going for an old girl!!

I’m really hoping the nausea eases too!  It would be the answer to some of my prayers.

I hope you’re having better days and nights too.

:smitten:

Sept,

So glad things went well and hopefully the pain is not too bad!  Wishing you a speedy recovery ❤!

Thanks Blacklablady! It’s been a little rough being an old girl who’s in the throws of benzo withdrawal. 

Still sore/swollen but improving a bit each day.  I’d rather recover from this than continue suffering with this tapering.  Still nauseated.  Hoping that improves as I go lower in dose. 

SG

💜