Stabilize before titration?

[Dr...]

Do I stabilize before attempting and decreasing dose?

It would help a great deal if you could fill out your signature so we can easily see your benzo history. I read through your posts and see you recently detoxed through a rehab. Have you reinstated? What dose are you currently taking? Yes, it is generally best to start a taper from a stable point.

I reinstated and left both programs in under 10 days. I filled out my signature. so to stabilize I am unsure because at current doses I feel I'm at tolerance, but who know because I've just tried all I could and I keep hitting brick walls.

I tried cold turkey and a detox and a rehab. I experienced PAWS and left the programs. I'm currently trying to find a Dr. to take me as a patient.

Dragonflywings (love that username), would you add the CT, detox, rehab details to your signature? Is this 3 different events? Did you come completely off and then fully reinstate 3 times? When did each of these events happen (month and year)? Did reinstating bring you back to stable or were you worse off after each event? Also, have you found a prescriber?

Gardie :)

I tried cold turkey and a detox and a rehab. I experienced PAWS and left the programs. I'm currently trying to find a Dr. to take me as a patient.

Dragonflywings (love that username), would you add the CT, detox, rehab details to your signature? Is this 3 different events? Did you come completely off and then fully reinstate 3 times? When did each of these events happen (month and year)? Did reinstating bring you back to stable or were you worse off after each event? Also, have you found a prescriber?

Gardie :)

:thumbsup: Ah, I see the details now.

It's late here. Bump this tomorrow, OK? I don't want to lose this thread.

Dragonfly, I'm sorry about those awful detox experiences. They were so close together and so recent. I think it's likely that the severity of you current symptoms are from those.  Have you looked at Long Hold Support Group? These are people who got destabilized and are holding or who have held in the past to get stable. I think you should post there. They are a chatty bunch, so it is probably easier to post a question and watch for answers than sort though the posts already there.

I'm sorry, I don't really have experience with tolerance. This would be a good place to ask for peoples experience with that. Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

If you just want my gut reaction to your situation, I think you should hold for awhile because of your recent with dramatic reduction and reinstatement. A wild guess, a month. After a month, reevaluate your situation. You may decide you are able to proceed with caution. I'm sorry I can't be more exact than that. Each person is so different.

Please keep in touch.

Gardie :smitten:

P.S. Getting a prescriber is urgent. I suggest you look for one who will prescribe and not ask him about tapering just yet.

That's where my trouble lies, I can't find a a GP a psychiatrist, anything. where do I go if I can't get a Dr on board, is switching to Xanax after I run out in y'all's opinion not a good option as it will be all I have access to. what is  anyone's experience with ERs or urgent cares?

thank you in advance.

You can try an IOP outpatient program also - they often have psychiatrists that will temporarily prescribe meds until you can find a more regular doctor to take you on.  Why can't you find a doctor?  Just wait times to get in? 

That's where my trouble lies, I can't find a a GP a psychiatrist, anything. where do I go if I can't get a Dr on board, is switching to Xanax after I run out in y'all's opinion not a good option as it will be all I have access to. what is  anyone's experience with ERs or urgent cares?

thank you in advance.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I would never recommend taking an unprescribed benzo. It usually just leads you deeper into trouble. You can't get stable if you don't have a stable supply of legitimate medication. Your dosing will be inconsistent. You won't know if you have a legitimate medication. I really urge you not to do that. I think you will end up much worse off than you are now. And you will still go through withdrawal, only from a worse place.

A question, are you about to run out? How much do you have left? Perhaps you could add that to your signature.

Regarding the ER, if you are having a medical emergency, such as a seizure, you should call 911 or have some take you. I haven't done it, but I think there are people who have used the ER during withdrawal for other reasons. You're more likely to find them on one of these this boards:

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper (If you are tapering.)

Cold Turkey, Rapid Withdrawal, and Detox (If you are out or nearly out of benzo.)

These boards get a ton more traffic than this one does. I think you will get more help if you start posting on one of them. I really urge you to reach out for support on one of those boards.

Gardie :hug:

Thank you for advice and direction on which boards may be helpful. 

I'm new to forums as a whole so still trying to figure it out. I called my old prescribing Dr who called in both Xanax and Klonopin to help me stabilize. I will see him the 22nd to devise a plan. it's a 5+ HR drive but at this point I'd do anything to stabilize. again thank you and I will check out those boards.

Thank you for advice and direction on which boards may be helpful. 

I'm new to forums as a whole so still trying to figure it out. I called my old prescribing Dr who called in both Xanax and Klonopin to help me stabilize. I will see him the 22nd to devise a plan. it's a 5+ HR drive but at this point I'd do anything to stabilize. again thank you and I will check out those boards.

I am so glad to hear your doctor is willing to prescribe! That puts you in a much better place. When I was badly destabilized by med changes, my new doctor told me to take a consistent dose of each medication at the same time every day without any variation at all. He said, "The brain likes predictability." I imagine your doctor would agree.

Meanwhile, you can take your time, get more informed, and make a plan. Being well-informed is the key to this. The medical community is not very well-informed about benzodiazepines, unfortunately.

Have you seen the Ashton Manual? Here’s a link to it: Ashton Manual Dr. Heather Ashton was a pioneer in tapering patients off of benzos safely. There is a lot of very good info in there for both doctors and patients. I think you will want to read it and share it with your doctor.

I know you are feeling awful, which is scary, but you will get your feet back under you again. Many others have been where you are and have stabilized, tapered, and healed.  :)

Dragonfly, I saw one of your posts on another thread about alcohol use. If you are using alcohol regularly, you may want to include that in your signature. Alcohol and benzodiazepines both act on the GABA receptors in the brain. Many members report that alcohol causes withdrawal symptoms. :(