Stopped using vodka as a solvent, now using whole milk. Pill won't dissolve

[6e...]

[6e...]

Vodka didn't work for me, it gave me a very bad feeling. I really don't want to use alcohol, even if it's just a tiny bit. Withdrawing 0,1 mg Diazepam is also a 'tiny bit', but if you withdraw that you still feel it like hell, if you have been taking benzodiazepines for 14 years.

I want to use whole milk now. Whole milk with 3,5g fat/100ml is the fattest milk I can get.

Here's the problem:

I put the pill in the milk, I left it there the whole night, I just checked it and it's still a large piece of pill with large chunks. It doesn't dissolve as good as in vodka, far from it.

What am I doing wrong? How many hours does it have to stay in the milk before it completely dissolves?

I read somewhere that the milk has to be 8%, but whole milk isn't 8% at all if you ask me. The only 8% milk I can get is full coffeemilk (milk for in your coffee). Is it okay to try that? It has 8,5g/100ml fat.

Thank you for your answers  :)

Vodka didn't work for me, it gave me a very bad feeling. I really don't want to use alcohol, even if it's just a tiny bit. Withdrawing 0,1 mg Diazepam is also a 'tiny bit', but if you withdraw that you still feel it like hell, if you have been taking benzodiazepines for 14 years.

I want to use whole milk now. Whole milk with 3,5g fat/100ml is the fattest milk I can get.

Here's the problem:

I put the pill in the milk, I left it there the whole night, I just checked it and it's still a large piece of pill with large chunks. It doesn't dissolve as good as in vodka, far from it.

What am I doing wrong? How many hours does it have to stay in the milk before it completely dissolves?

I read somewhere that the milk has to be 8%, but whole milk isn't 8% at all if you ask me. The only 8% milk I can get is full coffeemilk (milk for in your coffee). Is it okay to try that? It has 8,5g/100ml fat.

Try crushing tablets between two spoons then put in milk over night and shake well before using.

I tried using 1/2 & 1/2 when I did the milk taper and found it to leave a residue of fat on my glass vial. Because Valium is fat soluble I had concerns that some of the valium may have been adhering to this film of fat. I made a 1:1 (1 part milk 1 part valium) solution so this too may have factored into this film as it was not very diluted. So try it and see, this is all you can do really :thumbsup:

I'm also wondering same thing.  I put mine at room temperature for a couple of hours but I did break up the tablet first.  I came back after a couple of hours, stirred (didn't find any bits when I pulled up), drank and then at the bottom, found small bits of pill still left, so I shook and stirred until broken up, which worked.  BUT, when I drank everything, there was milky particle residue on the sides of the jar.  I'm concerned - is this the "filler" or is some of the med adhering to the jar?  I then put water, cleared the glass and drank and did that a couple of times until gone - so I knew I got all the med. I have not "cut" anything yet.  I am just trying to get a feel for this.

I bought 80 ML vials that are supposed to be leakproof so I know that I will shake some....but all this concerns me.  I am considering the prescription liquid Valium (my doctor has prescribed) also but I know some don't do well with that either and I just crossed over. 

I also could NOT do the vodka/water with Klonopin, at least.  I had a horrible reaction. 

Here's the problem:

Try crushing tablets between two spoons then put in milk over night and shake well before using.

I tried using 1/2 & 1/2 when I did the milk taper and found it to leave a residue of fat on my glass vial. Because Valium is fat soluble I had concerns that some of the valium may have been adhering to this film of fat. I made a 1:1 (1 part milk 1 part valium) solution so this too may have factored into this film as it was not very diluted. So try it and see, this is all you can do really :thumbsup:

Momof7babes and Tman85:  Just checking in to ask if you have found a way to disintegrate/dissolve your tablets in milk? I hope so. And if so, please share!

Gudruna:  You suggested crushing tablets between two spoons.  I read two articles last night about making compounded suspensions from regular tablets.  The compounders used a few drops of distilled water to start the tablet disintegration process, then added the suspending agent.  Do you have any experience with this approach?  My layperson’s interpretation is that this would decrease drug loss due to surface transfer b/c the tablets would not touch come in contact with other surfaces such as a mortar and pestle or other grinding device.

Here's the problem:

Momof7babes and Tman85:  Just checking in to ask if you have found a way to disintegrate/dissolve your tablets in milk? I hope so. And if so, please share!

Gudruna:  You suggested crushing tablets between two spoons.  I read two articles last night about making compounded suspensions from regular tablets. The compounders used a few drops of distilled water to start the tablet disintegration process, then added the suspending agent.  Do you have any experience with this approach?  My layperson’s interpretation is that this would decrease drug loss due to surface transfer b/c the tablets would not touch come in contact with other surfaces such as a mortar and pestle or other grinding device.

Yes I do. This  is exactly what I did: In a 12ml vial I added 1ml 190 proof everclear to a 10mg tablet. Then I added 6ml ora-plus and 3ml distilled water to make a 1ml/1mg suspension. I know this may sound a bit anal but I wanted to be sure and this made sense to me. btw, I tried just about every method possible during my 1 year taper with the hopes of minimalizing symptoms. This method was what I ended up doing the last 4 months of my taper.

Yes I do. This  is exactly what I did: In a 12ml vial I added 1ml 190 proof everclear to a 10mg tablet. Then I added 6ml ora-plus and 3ml distilled water to make a 1ml/1mg suspension. I know this may sound a bit anal but I wanted to be sure and this made sense to me. btw, I tried just about every method possible during my 1 year taper with the hopes of minimalizing symptoms. This method was what I ended up doing the last 4 months of my taper.

Thank you so much, Gudruna!  This is both helpful and informative to me, and I hope to Tman85 and Momof7babes as well.  It sounds to me like you took informed and systematic steps to maximize the availability of the active drug substance from your regular tablet in your homemade liquid.  But what matters most is that the method you devised worked for you!  PS I appreciate the way you have been sharing what you learned from your own experiences/experiments :) with me and other members of the community.  You are generous and kind to so do.

[6e...]

Here's the problem:

No, I did not. Microtaper has been one big mess for me. I'm still at 3,2 for 1,5 month now because of trying all this, I am not getting any further this way.

With the Vodka I felt that 0,01 a day was nice and slow, but then the little bit of alcohol started hitting me.

And in the milk the tablets just won't dissolve properly. If I don't know it's going to be exact, I'd rather go with steps of 0,1 mg Diazepam. Luckily I have taperingstrips. Me, my gp, and the 'Regenboogapotheek (pharmacy that makes taperingstrips) have agreed that I have carte blanche. Every month I have a taperingstrip with 1x 2, 1x 1, 1x 0,5, 2x 0,2 and 2x 0,1. So I can make whatever I want, and I can take as many days as I want. When it becomes unbearable (which it probably will when I arrive at 1,0) I will look into microtaper again.

[6e...]

Tman, why do you need to dissolve the benzo? You could simply buy a gram scale like this one https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=jewelry+scale&qid=1573861769&sr=8-10 and follow the grind-and-weight method. It's the best.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I rather go with the 0,1 mg steps Valium from my taperingstrips.

Figuring this out has been taking me too long. It just becomes too much work, I didn't withdraw anything for the past 1,5 month.

Just going to do what I always do for the past 14 years, do sports 8 times a day, running my ass off twice a day and train to win a 5 km running match  :) Sports is the best medicine in all this, in combination with Theanine (for me at least)

No, I did not. Microtaper has been one big mess for me. I'm still at 3,2 for 1,5 month now because of trying all this, I am not getting any further this way.

With the Vodka I felt that 0,01 a day was nice and slow, but then the little bit of alcohol started hitting me.

And in the milk the tablets just won't dissolve properly. If I don't know it's going to be exact, I'd rather go with steps of 0,1 mg Diazepam. Luckily I have taperingstrips. Me, my gp, and the 'Regenboogapotheek (pharmacy that makes taperingstrips) have agreed that I have carte blanche. Every month I have a taperingstrip with 1x 2, 1x 1, 1x 0,5, 2x 0,2 and 2x 0,1. So I can make whatever I want, and I can take as many days as I want. When it becomes unbearable (which it probably will when I arrive at 1,0) I will look into microtaper again.

I’m so sorry that neither of the homemade liquids worked for you. However, I am delighted you have found another solution.  I’ve read about the taperingstrips and they sound like a great option - especially given that both your GP and the pharmacy have agreed to give you carte blanche.  Sending you all best wishes for a successful taper ... Libertas

[6e...]

Tman, why do you need to dissolve the benzo? You could simply buy a gram scale like this one https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=jewelry+scale&qid=1573861769&sr=8-10 and follow the grind-and-weight method. It's the best.

In an earlier reply to this I said I wasn't going to do this, but I thought about it, and when steps of 0,1 mg becomes unbearable I will do this with the scale.

Is the valium equally divided between the whole pill? Not that the whole benzo is on the left of the pill or something like that  :P

[6e...]

Have you tried Propylene Glycol as a solvent? That is the only thing I can use.

Had to google that  :P (So, no I have not  ;) )

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm done with all the liquids and solvents. When the time is there when it becomes unbearable, I will use a milligram scale. Only thing what I'm afraid of is if the benzo is equally divided between the whole pill.

From what I know, there is only 1% actual benzo in the pill and rest are fillers. I know people that do very well with the scale. I know people that have done and do very well with the liquid taper. It is all a matter of preference. You have to decide and figure out what will work the best for you. I do know that with the liquid taper that is in a decent solvent, the fillers settle to the bottom.This kind of taper seems to work the best for me.  I am for anything that will help us get off as easy and safely as possible. I have done it all. Cut and hold, crush and divide with a razor, water taper years ago. The main point is take it low and slow. Don't be in a rush. It leads to all kinds of problems. You will be fine. :)

[6e...]

From what I know, there is only 1% actual benzo in the pill and rest are fillers.

Yeah, I know that too. But what if that 1% isn't equally divided? It would not be exact when cutting a little bit off the tablet. If that 1% is at a certain point in the pill, and you cut that little bit, leaving only fillers. That would not be exact at all  :)

This is true. Hopefully more people who do the dry/scale tapering can help you. It does work for people. A wise person on here once stated that it is not about precision, but about gradual tapering.

My preference is the liquid because from my experience the benzo is more evenly distributed in the solvent/water. That has been my experience. I am not saying it is the best for everyone, but for me, it has to be the only way. I hope I am helping you and not confusing you more. Do your research and you will find the right way for you. Remember, it is about gradual reductions, especially as you get lower.

Tman, when I was tapering valium, my pills were scored. That made cutting them very easy. Of course, I then dropped my 1 mg valium pill into a bit of vodka, so when it dissolved I knew I had *all* of it in the beaker. I added water, then reduced a bit (.01 mgs) every day. That was the easiest way for me to get off valium.

I don't know if the valium was equally distributed in my 2 mg pill or not. But because I used both halves of the pill sequentially (1 mg one day and the other mg the next) I never had to worry.

Best to you. The scale method will certainly work. Lots of ppl on here have done it.

:smitten:

Katz

From what I know, there is only 1% actual benzo in the pill and rest are fillers.

Yeah, I know that too. But what if that 1% isn't equally divided? It would not be exact when cutting a little bit off the tablet. If that 1% is at a certain point in the pill, and you cut that little bit, leaving only fillers. That would not be exact at all  :)

I don't think that's a problem when you cut the pills and for sure it won't be if you crush them. I've tested all these methods. The best is to crush a number of pills, store the powder and then pick the amount you need each day by weighting it with the milligram scale. Small random variations will cancel each other over the course of the taper.

[6e...]

I don't think that's a problem when you cut the pills and for sure it won't be if you crush them. I've tested all these methods. The best is to crush a number of pills, store the powder and then pick the amount you need each day by weighting it with the milligram scale. Small random variations will cancel each other over the course of the taper.

Thanks for your answer! (And all the other guys (girls) too ofcourse)

Is it also okay if I just take a pill and shave a little bit off every day?

Thanks for your answer! (And all the other guys (girls) too ofcourse)

Is it also okay if I just take a pill and shave a little bit off every day?

Yes, but it's more difficult to be accurate. I had to do something like that with the antidepressant because the pills are slow release and can't be crushed. The best way I found out was to sand paper them until the desired weight was attained. But it's a lot of work. It was much easier with the benzo, which I could crush into powder.  I kept the powder in a tightly closed container and then took a little bit every day. Very practical.