Lookinup's Taper

[pi...]

I take the Ambien at night for sleep.  I break off about 1/4 of a 10 mg. Tablet, so I estimate it to be 7.5. I did purchase a scale.  How can I do this for greater accuracy?

What brand of scale do you have?

When you put the bowl on the scale can you set it to Tare, which is basically zero?

[a3...]

I take the Ambien at night for sleep.  I break off about 1/4 of a 10 mg. Tablet, so I estimate it to be 7.5. I did purchase a scale.  How can I do this for greater accuracy?

When you put the bowl on the scale can you set it to Tare, which is basically zero?

. I doubt it.  Got it at Amazon.  Should I order a different one?

edit: quotation formatting fix

Is the scale a jewlers scale?  I'm surprised it doesn't have a Tare setting.

[a3...]

Asked my husband. He doesn’t think so.

It might be best to get a jewelers scale so your measurements will be more accurate. The one used most often is by Gemini.

edit: quotatin formatting fix

[a3...]

It might be best to get a jewelers scale so your measurements will be more accurate. The one used most often is by Gemini.

Ok. I will get one.  My husband said to measure out the Ambien doesn’t mean the active ingredients will be consistent, depending on where they are in the tablet.  Some weight more than others.

Ok. I will get one.  My husband said to measure out the Ambien doesn’t mean the active ingredients will be consistent, depending on where they are in the tablet.  Some weight more than others.

What your husband says is true.  There can be variance in the tablets depending on how much of the medication is in each section of the tablet.

I dry cut without a scale.  Although it was not easy as the tablet got smaller, it worked OK for me. 

If you want to try a liquid titration method, this was explained in the FAQ link I gave you.  However, the same is true for this method, there is no way to be certain of the exact amount of medication in each solution. 

Tapering slowly would be the best plan and making adjustments if you feel it's necessary.

[a3...]

What your husband says is true.  There can be variance in the tablets depending on how much of the medication is in each section of the tablet.

I dry cut without a scale.  Although it was not easy as the tablet got smaller, it worked OK for me. 

If you want to try a liquid titration method, this was explained in the FAQ link I gave you.  However, the same is true for this method, there is no way to be certain of the exact amount of medication in each solution. 

Tapering slowly would be the best plan and making adjustments if you feel it's necessary.

#msg2984456 date=1573420622]

Hi Lookinup!

I don't want to hijack Hildagard's thread so I started one for you here.

Thanks,you know what you are doing.  How do I access it?

Did you do all of your tapering that way?

Lookin, if you want to start your Ambien taper, I think the method Katz gave you is the simplest.

I took 5 mgs in tablet form (I was on 10 mgs) then cut the other 5 mg tablet up into 1/8 s and reduced 1/8 every two weeks. Maybe a little too fast. No, I did not have interdose withdrawals. Ambien was not helping me at all.  I just felt crappy all the time. Malaise-y. Similar to my benzo taper, but not as severe. The miserable crappiness finally went away when I had finished tapering the Ambien.

Hope this helps.

Katz

You wouldn't necessarily need a scale if you were comfortable just eyeballing 1/8. If not, you could get a scale and weigh 1/8.

I notice Katz said she went a little too fast, so you might want to make a cut every 3 or 4 weeks.

It looks like you can get Ambien in 5mg tablets. Do you have 5mg tablets?

[a3...]

Lookin, if you want to start your Ambien taper, I think the method Katz gave you is the simplest.

I took 5 mgs in tablet form (I was on 10 mgs) then cut the other 5 mg tablet up into 1/8 s and reduced 1/8 every two weeks. Maybe a little too fast. No, I did not have interdose withdrawals. Ambien was not helping me at all.  I just felt crappy all the time. Malaise-y. Similar to my benzo taper, but not as severe. The miserable crappiness finally went away when I had finished tapering the Ambien.

Hope this helps.

Katz

You wouldn't necessarily need a scale if you were comfortable just eyeballing 1/8. If not, you could get a scale and weigh 1/8.

I notice Katz said she went a little too fast, so you might want to make a cut every 3 or 4 weeks.

No, but I can ask my dr. For them.  Might be hard to cut 5 mg into eighths though.  You are very helpful.  Thank you for sticking with me. 

[a3...]

Hope this helps.

Katz

When it comes time for the Klonopin, how does that work if I take three .25 doses?  Do I cut each one?

When it comes time for the Klonopin, how does that work if I take three .25 doses?  Do I cut each one?

Yes, but I never recommend tapering 2 meds at the same time. If you run into trouble, you don't know which taper is the problem.

Let's stick to Ambien right now.

[a3...]

Yes, but I never recommend tapering 2 meds at the same time. If you run into trouble, you don't know which taper is the problem.

Let's stick to Ambien right now.

Yes, for sure.  Just wondering how that works when taking more than one dose.  I have my work cut out with the Ambien.  Had to go to 3 doses of Klonopin because I was sure I was in tolerance—had lots of twitches, needles, all day.  Updosed from .5 to .75 and hated doing it, but I really needed to stabilize.  I have a thyroid issue going on right now and need time to get it under control.  That is when the Ambien came on board.  Ambien should have never been prescribed since I was taking a benzo though. I think that messed with the Klonopin dose as well. Will feel better when that is gone and can focus on the Klonopin.  Ugh, I hope I can get to the other side of all of this!  Congratulations to you for getting there!

Lookin:

Might be hard to cut 5 mg into eighths though.

Not really. My 5 mg tablet was long and cylindrical-shaped. I first cut it in half (used a razor blade). Then I cut each of the halves in half . . .  to get 4 pieces. Then I cut each of the 4 pieces in half . . . carefully. I didn't worry if one little piece was bigger than another, as they inevitably were.

Gardener is probably right: go a little slower than I did. Every 3-4 weeks might be better. After all, it isn't a race!  :D

Hope this helps.

Katz

Lookin:

Not really. My 5 mg tablet was long and cylindrical-shaped. I first cut it in half (used a razor blade). Then I cut each of the halves in half . . .  to get 4 pieces. Then I cut each of the 4 pieces in half . . . carefully. I didn't worry if one little piece was bigger than another, as they inevitably were.

Gardener is probably right: go a little slower than I did. Every 3-4 weeks might be better. After all, it isn't a race!  :D

Hope this helps.

Katz

That does sound doable. :thumbsup:  Do you remember what brand the tablets were?

[a3...]

Lookin:

Hope this helps.

Katz

Thank you Katz.  Sounds like a plan.

That does sound doable. :thumbsup:  Do you remember what brand the tablets were?

They were from Torrent Pharmaceuticals. They are described on the bottle as being "Red. Oblong". Pretty easy to cut up.

:smitten:

Katz

Hi Lookinup!

Hi, Pianogirl. I'd also like to ask you a question about a DLMT that I'm trying. Someone gave me a taper plan on a facebook group but i'm not comfortable with it.

I'm using Clonazepam at the moment (scored), but i also have access to valium if needed. I'm at 0.024 g pill weight by my Gemini scale, from a 0.5 mg total. Been tapering for a year.

If i was to do a DLMT starting with, say, 200 ml of water, how would i go about it from here on? I have all of the needed tools, i.e: jars, syringes, but obviously not the knowledge, or the math.  :idiot:

Could you be so kind as to give me a helping hand?

Thanks a million!

Hi Lookinup!

Hi, Pianogirl. I'd also like to ask you a question about a DLMT that I'm trying. Someone gave me a taper plan on a facebook group but i'm not comfortable with it.

I'm using Clonazepam at the moment (scored), but i also have access to valium if needed. I'm at 0.024 g pill weight by my Gemini scale, from a 0.5 mg total. Been tapering for a year.

If i was to do a DLMT starting with, say, 200 ml of water, how would i go about it from here on? I have all of the needed tools, i.e: jars, syringes, but obviously not the knowledge, or the math.  :idiot:

Could you be so kind as to give me a helping hand?

Thanks a million!

Hello dorila,

Water is not a good choice for a titration liquid for clonazepam.  Some people use whole homogenized milk or vodka.

What percent do you wish to taper and how often?

pianogirl

Pianogirl: Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I can use vodka, no prob. The percentage could be subtracting 1 ml a day, as it was proposed in the plan i mentioned, or whatever is doable. I'm at .024 pill weight from a .5 mg of Clz that weights .170 g.  Could you please direct me to a new plan that i can try? 

Thanks a lot! Rene.

Lookinup: That's a tough one to answer correctly since I changed tapering times often, holding, etc. Usually my percentages varied from 10% in the very beginning to 3 %-5% later on. Stay well, friend. We are all gonna make it!

Best, Rene

Pianogirl: Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I can use vodka, no prob. The percentage could be subtracting 1 ml a day, as it was proposed in the plan i mentioned, or whatever is doable. I'm at .024 pill weight from a .5 mg of Clz that weights .170 g.  Could you please direct me to a new plan that i can try? 

Thanks a lot! Rene.

Lookinup: That's a tough one to answer correctly since I changed tapering times often, holding, etc. Usually my percentages varied from 10% in the very beginning to 3 %-5% later on. Stay well, friend. We are all gonna make it!

Best, Rene

What size cylinder do you have and what size syringe do you have?

Do you want to continue a 3% or a 5% percent taper rate? Do you want to reduce once a week or two weeks?

Once I have this information we can give you a plan.

Ok, let's see... I have a measuring cup (for now) that gives me a 200 ml reading and also a 50 ml syringe and a 10 ml too. I'd rather do a 5% taper every week (unless i find it too harsh)  :sick:.

Thank you, Rene

:thumbsup: