Anybody have head pressure and unstable legs (like walking on springs)

[Sp...]

I had tapered off Llibrax (10mg of librium) 2 capsules per day for 15 plus years.  Fairly rapid taper over about 26 days.  A day or two later all hell broke loose with several withdraw symptoms.  I imediately jumped back on 2.5 mg and struggled with symptoms until I saw a chemical dependency doctor a week later and he put me back on 5mg so as to try to stabilize me.  All symptoms inproved except for having head pressure and unstable legs (like walking on springs).  This has persisted now for 5 or 6 weeks. 

Very worried now. HOPE I DIDN'T DO PERMANANT DAMAGE?? 

Hi Spartan,

I looked in the Ashton manual and found this about stability:

Problems with balance. Some people during benzodiazepine withdrawal report feeling unsteady on their feet; sometimes they feel they are being pushed to one side or feel giddy, as if things were going round and round. An important organ in controlling motor stability and maintaining equilibrium is a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This organ is densely packed with GABA and benzodiazepine receptors (See Chapter I) and is a prime site of action of benzodiazepines.

I also found this, it might explain your head pressure:

Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the "tension headache" type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead - often described as a "tight band around the head". Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you, but I do know that most everyone heals from this nightmare.  The drug takes away our ability to use reason about what we're going through, it fills us with worry and fear.  Read some Success Stories if you can, that's what I did and it helped me have hope.

Felt like I was walking on an undulating footpath. 

Completely resolved at 8 months off Valium.  Resolved well before the 8 months, during the withdrawal process. 

It's scary when it first happens, but can assure you, that for me, it went away.  And good riddance I say. 

You will make it.  Keep going. 

*  Good references Pamster.  Thanks.  Still learning. 

Dee

:smitten:

Thanks again Pamster!!!  You have all the answers!!!!  :hug:

Thank you deadwoodgone!!!  Yes, thats what I'm feeling. Its a crazy feeling.  :D 

Yes, I had that when I Cold Turkeyed.  I had it for months.

I used Ice Pads for the back of my head.  And I shook inside for months.  I Started a taper at 5% a month then the next month went up to 7% a month.  But every time we went anywhere, I could not stand very long without feeling like I would collapse.  It was very embarrassing when we'd run into a friend at the grocery store and I'd have to lean against the grocery shelf to keep from falling down because my legs shook so terribly. 

But 8 months into my taper I finally don't have the shaky legs anymore.  And the head pressure isn't as bad.  I went on Keto Diet (which takes down inflammation) and I stick to it.  It works and the coconut oil heals the brain and nervous system too.  I don't eat too much fat though......just a little.  I don't do the Intermittent Fasting.....Research revealed it causes too much stress on the body.  And that's fine if you are healthy ...but not if you are tapering.  So I don't do the IF anymore.  That was a bad idea.  Keto has been a life saver and I can see I am healing since I've been on it a year now.  AND my husband (who does not take meds at all) has been on it with me and his health is better. 

Don't misunderstand me.  Not trying to talk anyone into going on Keto.  Just sharing my Own personal experience.  We are all different and our chemistry is all so different.  SO you have to find out what best works for you.  I'm just sharing what has worked for me. 

The ice pad on the back of my neck really helps with the head pressure and I still get a little of it now and then as I continue to taper down.  Sxs are going to happen no matter what we do, eat or take.  It's part of tapering...so I expect it to happen. 

But read the success stories ..people have gone through hell on earth getting off BENZOS and they are well now and no permanent damage.  So encourage yourselves with reading the Success stories.  They are worth reading.  This too shall pass and you WILL RECOVER.

Hope I helped. 

All my muscles have turned to hard rubber and am at the stage where they are too ‘springy’ spastic and uncontrollable as well as e trembly painful.

If I try to stretch they ‘ping’ back like tight rubber.

I had tapered off Llibrax (10mg of librium) 2 capsules per day for 15 plus years.  Fairly rapid taper over about 20 days.  A day or two later all hell broke loose with several withdraw symptoms.  I imediately jumped back on 2.5 mg and struggled with symptoms until I saw a chemical dependency doctor a week later and he put me back on 5mg so as to try to stabilize me.  All symptoms inproved except for having head pressure and unstable legs (like walking on springs).  This has persisted now for 5 or 6 weeks. 

Very worried now. HOPE I DIDN'T DO PERMANANT DAMAGE??

I get most of my feelings pressure in my chest and stomach areas. I wonder why different ppl feel this in different areas of the body? I know a girl who said she felt it only in her arms. Both arms would get extremely heavy like lead and ache.

Thanks AntiBenzo.  I think from what I learned so far is that these crazy w/d symptoms are numerous and differ from one person to another.  With Gods help we will all recover and be better than before.  I was told by my former GI doctors that I was on a "baby dose" but never did I increase the dose over 15 plus years.  I didn't have any symptoms while on it but also didn't think it was doing anything for me.  So I just took it as prescribed.  Over the last couple years it was suggested by doctors, that I should get off it because as you age, you are subject to falls.  Thats funny because of benzo w/d, I am left feeling unstable and dizzy. 

I'm feeling the same. The head pressure resolved a bunch of days ago, but I'm still dizzy all the time. I was on a baby dose too, but just for 2 weeks.

Hi ItalianGuy. I only now feel the head tension later in the day.  I think it's probably related to stress and is a muscle thing.  However the feeling that your on a boat and dizziness, has persisted ever since I went into benzo withdraw about 8 weeks ago.  I was only on 10mg. of librium,  which is a very weak dose. (valium is actually 4 time stronger than librium).  My problem is that unlike you, I was on this benzo for 15 years; if you read my previously post I tapered off over 26 days.  Was put back on 5 mg (50%) by chem. dependency doctor to try and stabilize.  All w/d symptoms improved except for the legs, dizziness and head tension.  I'm currently in a holding pattern hoping to do a water titration to get off this crappy medicine. 

Back to my old routine walking everyday two miles and driving to the store, etc.  I think my balance is improving, so one of these days I may go out and see if I can still hit a golfball.  Try to hang in there and try to get back to your previous routine, especially exercising.  You might check out on youtube Powers Benzo Coaching.  David Powers went through benzo recovery and now councils people in benzo recovery. He wrote a very good book and getting his PHD in psych.  He is very positive, both in his book and Youtube channel. 

Hi Pamster.  No I haven't done that yet, but I will try one day soon.  Golf was something I really enjoyed.  During my taper I played on the same dose that I'm now on, 5mg of librax (5mg librium) and played better than I have in months.  Still hoping to stabilize from feeling intoxicated (dizziness and balance issues).  I see the chem. dependency doctor in early December, but was wondering do you think I should start tapering the last 5mg.  Which was 50% of my dose, but was over 15 years?  I mention to the doctor about doing a water titration over 200 or so days.  He said that he has heard of that type of taper but they don't do it. 

Hey Spartan,

This process is all about listening to your body, you're in charge of this.  I didn't taper but I'm told that after a cut you feel rotten, but then you get to a point where you feel less rotten, and well enough to make another cut.  You never feel good, you just figure out you have the strength to cut again. 

Something to consider when thinking about reducing again, are the holidays the best time?  I would choose the time to begin again that is guaranteed to produce the best outcome.

As for speaking to your Dr, I'd educate myself about the process and be able to speak to it with authority if this is the method you want to use.  Your Dr should support you as you do this, and just because it's not the method they use, it might be something they would be open to in the future if you're there to show them the way.  Here is a new chart the site owner and team have been working on, I hope it is helpful.  Titration: FAQ's

You seem very capable of advocating for yourself, so I have no doubt you'll be able to chart your own course.

Pamster

Thanks for getting back to me Pamster! 

No, I definitely wouldn't start the taper until after the holidays.  This dependency doctor is better than my family doctor. My family doctor who is in her mid thirties, has no idea what benzo withdraw is like.  When I quit the benzo I saw her the next day.  She told me that I should feel better in a week and most people recover in three or four weeks.(no clue)  She prescribed me gabapentin which I took a couple times, found out that it was addictive and haven't used it since. It didn't help anyway.  Obviously I don't have much trust in the family doctor and in doctors in general.  You are absolutely right about being in charge of your own body.  Once again thank you for your advise Pamster