Mirtzapine question

[ce...]

I had to take mirt last night cos antihistamine and calming aminos not working.  I took 1/4 of a mirt and slept till 7 - thank God.

What dose do you take?  Does it still work and after what time scale?  Do you wake up feeling like you have never slept - really weak and drained?

I am 26 months off and my sleep refuses to come back.  I have tested my cortisol and it is low thru the day, (I take adrenal cortex capsules to support adreanls) so it is not high cortisol keeping me awake.

Just looking for support and feedback from others going thru this mess.

Thanks

Well thanks for NO bloody help - 30 views and no help or input.  This board is a pile of &^^$^&*&.  So last night I took quarter of  mirt and only slept 2 hours.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOO close to reinstating.  This is utter shit and at 26 months off.

So long and thanks for all the fish...……...

Hi!  Im very sorry to hear you are struggling.    When you say 1/4 of mirt, are you talking about 1/4 of the 15, 30, or 45 mg tablets? 

They say with Mirt, it is more sedating at the lower dosage (eg from 7.5 to 15mg range).  This doesnt mean always, but I have heard alot of patients and doctors say this. 

I have been taking Mirt or over 1.5 years -as a mixed anti deppressant and sleep aid.  First I started at 30 - now on 15. 

Please keep us updated and I hope things improve soon. 

After the debacle of only sleeping 2 hours on my second night of mirt at 3.75mg I have decided not to continue with another drug.  Last night I took some calming amino acids, a few herbs and a antihistamine and slept thru thank god.

After the debacle of only sleeping 2 hours on my second night of mirt at 3.75mg I have decided not to continue with another drug.  Last night I took some calming amino acids, a few herbs and a antihistamine and slept thru thank god.

Ah yes 3.75 should be quite sedating so if that didnt work, perhaps it was a good idea to move on.  Great news that the other stuff worked.  What calming amino did you use?

The calming aminos I used were taurine (also good for the liver and heart) and glycine with inositol (also good for the liver/blood sugar levels)  and niacin. Just hope the antihistamine does not backfire.

Take care

I had to take mirt last night cos antihistamine and calming aminos not working.  I took 1/4 of a mirt and slept till 7 - thank God.

What dose do you take?  Does it still work and after what time scale?  Do you wake up feeling like you have never slept - really weak and drained?

I am 26 months off and my sleep refuses to come back.  I have tested my cortisol and it is low thru the day, (I take adrenal cortex capsules to support adreanls) so it is not high cortisol keeping me awake.

Thanks

My first three nights of Remeron were tough and I almost stopped taking it the second night.  I started with 1/4 of a 15 mg tab.  After four weeks I am sleeping every night on 7.5 mg and I'm not groggy in the morning.  I'm exercising... changed my sleep hours to days after almost a decade of being on a night shift schedule.  I have gotten so much done since I added the Remeron and I am thankful that something has worked.  I was not doing well on my Clonazepam taper (I am approaching the end)  and was at my wits end.  Hated to add another drug but I cannot function without sleep... that is a definate no go for me.  I wish you well with whatever is helping you.  :thumbsup::smitten:

Thanks

My first three nights of Remeron were tough and I almost stopped taking it the second night.  I started with 1/4 of a 15 mg tab.  After four weeks I am sleeping every night on 7.5 mg and I'm not groggy in the morning.  I'm exercising... changed my sleep hours to days after almost a decade of being on a night shift schedule.  I have gotten so much done since I added the Remeron and I am thankful that something has worked.  I was not doing well on my Clonazepam taper (I am approaching the end)  and was at my wits end.  Hated to add another drug but I cannot function without sleep... that is a definate no go for me.  I wish you well with whatever is helping you.  :thumbsup::smitten:

Raquelrocks- is the mirt still working for you. Are you still on the same dose?  Would be interested to hear how it is going.  My sleep last night was awful. I only tool quarter of antihist and some amino acids.  I am 26 months off and things seem to be getting worse.

This med almost single-handedly saved my taper. I take 3.75mg and another 3.75mg (for 7.5mg total in a night) only if I need to and my sleep troubles during taper and post taper have been very manageable. I would recommend giving it a bit of a longer shot before determining whether or not its right for you - it took me a while to learn how to properly utilize the sedating qualities of the med if that makes any sense. At a low dose, mirt is basically just a strong antihistamine - it improves slow wave sleep (the deep restorative sleep) and also seems to provide very vivid dreams later on in the sleep cycle from my experience.

Nologic, Thanks for your reply about mirt.  I may have to try it again.  My first night was OK at 7.5, then next night when I tried 3.75 it did not help.

I will try the 7.5 tonight and hope it works as severely sleep deprived and need to go to the doctors in the morning for thyroid blood tests.

Thanks

Raquelrocks- is the mirt still working for you. Are you still on the same dose?  Would be interested to hear how it is going.  My sleep last night was awful. I only tool quarter of antihist and some amino acids.  I am 26 months off and things seem to be getting worse.

Sorry it took so long to answer you.  I don't come here often because I get frustrated on this forum if I read too much.  I am still talking 7.5 mg and I'm sleeping.  I have two more months of my Clonazepam taper and I'll slowly taper off the Mirt eventually but right now I'm focused on getting this Benzo out of my system and the Mirt is working for me.  I'm so grateful and like I said... I was going through hell before I decided to take it as a sleep aid.  I have been on Mirtazapine before and tapered off with no problems.  Exercise has helped me so much.  And drinking lots of water/eating well.    Hope this helps.  :smitten::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update Raquel.  Unfortunately I tried 7.5 mg last night and it did nothing.  Think I have to go back to my low dose of Seroquel which I hate taking but I have only had 2 hours sleep in two days and I am 28 months off????

Thanks for the update Raquel.  Unfortunately I tried 7.5 mg last night and it did nothing.  Think I have to go back to my low dose of Seroquel which I hate taking but I have only had 2 hours sleep in two days and I am 28 months off????

May I ask what your sleep habits are like? Do you eat right, exercise, drink lots of water? Do you take any other meds, smoke weed, cigarettes, etc.  Often our lifestyle sometimes is the culprit and not the absence of the drugs we WERE taking.  Geez... I have friends and relatives that don't sleep and they have never touched a med in their life.  You have to take everything into consideration when it comes to lack of sleep.  Also FYI worrying about not sleeping also contributes to insomnia..  I don't know how you tapered or what meds you take or were taking because I cannot see your signature.  Just trying to help as I know how frustrating lack of sleep is.  :-\

I think my issues are complicated by hypothyroidism and I take thyroid meds.  I also have to take adrenal cortex in the am as my adrenals are struggling, and I take vitamins and miners to support my thyroid conversion and support my adrenals.

I do eat a good diet, but  I am  unable to exercise as I am so weak and my heart just thumps out of my chest just walking up stairs.  I feel utterly drained and weak and can hardly move.  Just waiting for results of thyroid/iron/liver/adrenal tests.

The meds I was on was zopiclone for 2 years, then used Valium at 6mg and tapered over 2 years and jumped at a tiny dose.

I think my issues are complicated by hypothyroidism and I take thyroid meds.  I also have to take adrenal cortex in the am as my adrenals are struggling, and I take vitamins and miners to support my thyroid conversion and support my adrenals.

I do eat a good diet, but  I am  unable to exercise as I am so weak and my heart just thumps out of my chest just walking up stairs.  I feel utterly drained and weak and can hardly move.  Just waiting for results of thyroid/iron/liver/adrenal tests.

The meds I was on was zopiclone for 2 years, then used Valium at 6mg and tapered over 2 years and jumped at a tiny dose.

I am so sorry that you are suffering.  :'(  I do know from working in a hospital that the thyroid issue and the meds can contribute to insomnia.  And perhaps the Remeron isn't working well because of the other meds.  Can you maybe share your issue on this forum with others regarding the thyroid issue?  Perhaps there are others struggling with the same medical issues like you that have found something that helps with sleep?  BTW... congrats on your taper off the Benzo's.  Perhaps your healing will come soon. You did just recently come off two very intense meds.  I believe the best for you...  :thumbsup::smitten: