Using Alcohol to help Benzo Withdrawal?

[Ro...]

I was surprised to not see alcohol talked about much, granted I have searched everywhere on this forum. I was wondering if alcohol can be used to help taper from Klonopin? It seems to help me if I drink 2-3 IPAs a night.

I was surprised to not see alcohol talked about much, granted I have searched everywhere on this forum. I was wondering if alcohol can be used to help taper from Klonopin? It seems to help me if I drink 2-3 IPAs a night.

Just my thoughts... I would probs consider a reduced taper speed on the benzo, -rather than substituting with alcohol...

While it may initially aid progress (in appearance), I suspect there could well be a point in the future where one finds themselves between a rock and a hard place...

Your right, discussion on alcohol is much less than it was when I joined a few yrs ago...

Sorry, I am very far from an expert on the subject...

:)

Robert,

I’m surprised that you found no threads regarding alcohol when it is one of the most talked about subjects on this forum.

Colin recently wrote a few posts about it.  The vast majority of what is written about alcohol is negative.  Alcohol downregulates receptors, according to some research and theories.  Counselors and benzo wise doctors refer to alcohol as a “benzo in a bottle.”

It’s always an individual choice, and not all research agrees, but I personally always err on the side of caution.  Challis99 is an Admin and I think she has provided links about alcohol (I’m not sure it was Challis).  You can PM her for any links she has found.  You can read Colin’s recent posts about alcohol too.

Sofa

I noticed feeling much better after drinking a couple of pints and it would last for a few days. Sometime's my symptoms would go but I'd end up with worse withdrawal a few days later. I try not to drink now as I don't want to prolong my recovery.  I think it may just be the same as temporarily increasing your benzo. I think the occasional drink is ok but not regular. Im no expert and we are all different. Good Luck!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I noticed feeling much better after drinking a couple of pints and it would last for a few days. Sometime's my symptoms would go but I'd end up with worse withdrawal a few days later. I try not to drink now as I don't want to prolong my recovery.  I think it may just be the same as temporarily increasing your benzo. I think the occasional drink is ok but not regular. Im no expert and we are all different. Good Luck!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After you drank the few pints, and ended up with worse withdrawals, did you ever drink again to get rid of those? I think its my only option, since I don't wanna put myself through any kind of hell. I tried tapering off, and I'm not going to ever go through that again, and I can buy alcohol anytime.

I did occasionally. I mainly drank to stop feeling crappy when I had a lot on. I did what I had to do to cope but I really think the long term benefit is no booze while recovering. I totally get it though, you have to do what you have to do. You may fine you will be fine after a few days with no booze. Go easy  :thumbsup:

I'm so sensitive to alcohol now. Even after half a beer my face and scalp start burning and I get anxiety as if my receptors are rejecting the manipulation. I haven't drank since this taper but I do have multiple binge withdrawals- nothing with hospitalization though.  It's now paradoxical for me as I'm kindled.

I'm so sensitive to alcohol now. Even after half a beer my face and scalp start burning and I get anxiety as if my receptors are rejecting the manipulation. I haven't drank since this taper but I do have multiple binge withdrawals- nothing with hospitalization though.  It's now paradoxical for me as I'm kindled.

That's funny. I have the same response to alcohol. It literally CAUSES anxiety. It makes me want to smoke too.

• 4 weeks later...
When I drink my anxiety diminishes completely. However the following morning it returns with vengeance, like a demon reaper ready to collect a soul

When I drink my anxiety diminishes completely. However the following morning it returns with vengeance, like a demon reaper ready to collect a soul

I know exactly what you mean. When I do drink I get soaked up into a relaxing bubble of calmness and tranquility but I know it's the calm before the storm and that the next day I will suffer....

YES!!! Perfectly stated.

I’ve experienced this and won’t touch alcohol now.  I love a couple of glasses of wine or a cold beer but the price I’ve paid in suffering a massive wave of WD symptoms the next day isn’t worth it.

I have alcohol, and constantly think I should skip the xanax just to test it out now to prepare, rather than wait until I run out of them. Then again, each minute of living is agony, and I think "Why go through hell if I have a heart-attack, or get hit by a bus (if I ever leave the house", but the thought of it keeps consuming my mind. It's the only thing I can think of, no matter how much I try to distract myself with a movie, show, comedy, whatever.. I even put on sports, and although my eyes were on the screen, my head was elsewhere. For months, I've had conversations with my ex-psychiatrist (in my head). I'm going crazy. I'm still taking 3mg every night, but my sleep has been rough this month (much better last year)