~ Surgery Confirmed ~ Time To Panic ~ Tapering Clonazepam ~

[Se...]

I saw the surgeon today and I’m scheduled for umbilical hernia surgery on 11/15/19.  It was hellacious just going to the office visit as my anxiety is ridiculous. Thank God my husband was with me...though I drove as part of my “exposure” therapy for agoraphobia.  I told the doc I was tapering off benzos and he took interest in that so it made me feel better.  My persistent nausea “could” be caused by the hernia.  Probably the benzos but a girl can dream!!  Another stressor is coming up on Thursday.  I need to have pre-admission testing; blood work, EKG and a chest X-ray (not sure about the X-ray).  More anxiety.  :-\

I told him I don’t want any antibiotics.  It reduces the chance for infection but I had Cdiff before from antibiotics and it’s a very rare occasion I’ll use them. Rare occasion: DEATH’S DOORSTEP.  He agreed to a compromise.  I would be given one vancomycin which is an antibiotic BUT used to treat Cdiff. If you’ve never experienced Cdiff consider yourself blessed! 

I’ll discuss premeds with the anesthesiologists. There are alternatives to benzos.  My PCP just prescribed Vistaril (hydroxyzine) to help quell the constant nausea, insomnia and anxiety.  I’ve read mixed reviews on it but I’m willing to give it a try.  It’s not a benzo but should help with the aforementioned issues. First dose is tonight.

If anyone has anything to add regarding hydroxyzine and if it was effective for you, I’d be happy to read your experience! 

My first dose of clonazepam is at 8:00 a.m. The day of surgery, I’ll take my first dose of clonazepam at 7:00 a.m. I’ll probably have to be at the hospital before that time.  The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 a.m.  I’ll bring my afternoon dose with me in case things run late.  I’ll more than likely be in an anesthesia haze anyway. 

If all goes well, I’ll be home mid afternoon.

So, if you have any ideas to make the process go smoothly, I’d be happy to hear from you!! 

In the meantime, I wonder if I should hold my taper? Today’s dose is .81mg divided in 3 equal doses.  The surgery is 10 days out.  I’m not stable at all but holding doesn’t seem to help either.  Maybe I’ll hold just a few days before the surgery.  Maybe the new med,  hydroxyzine, will help ease my symptoms.

Sorry..I’m rambling and all over the place with this post.  This is my brain on benzos.

Thanks buddies!

SG

💜

I saw the surgeon today and I’m scheduled for umbilical hernia surgery on 11/15/19.  It was hellacious just going to the office visit as my anxiety is ridiculous. Thank God my husband was with me...though I drove as part of my “exposure” therapy for agoraphobia.  I told the doc I was tapering off benzos and he took interest in that so it made me feel better.  My persistent nausea “could” be caused by the hernia.  Probably the benzos but a girl can dream!!  Another stressor is coming up on Thursday.  I need to have pre-admission testing; blood work, EKG and a chest X-ray (not sure about the X-ray).  More anxiety.  :-\

I told him I don’t want any antibiotics.  It reduces the chance for infection but I had Cdiff before from antibiotics and it’s a very rare occasion I’ll use them. Rare occasion: DEATH’S DOORSTEP.  He agreed to a compromise.  I would be given one vancomycin which is an antibiotic BUT used to treat Cdiff. If you’ve never experienced Cdiff consider yourself blessed! 

I’ll discuss premeds with the anesthesiologists. There are alternatives to benzos.  My PCP just prescribed Vistaril (hydroxyzine) to help quell the constant nausea, insomnia and anxiety.  I’ve read mixed reviews on it but I’m willing to give it a try.  It’s not a benzo but should help with the aforementioned issues. First dose is tonight.

If anyone has anything to add regarding hydroxyzine and if it was effective for you, I’d be happy to read your experience! 

My first dose of clonazepam is at 8:00 a.m. The day of surgery, I’ll take my first dose of clonazepam at 7:00 a.m. I’ll probably have to be at the hospital before that time.  The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 a.m.  I’ll bring my afternoon dose with me in case things run late.  I’ll more than likely be in an anesthesia haze anyway. 

So, if you have any ideas to make the process go smoothly, I’d be happy to hear from you!! 

In the meantime, I wonder if I should hold my taper? Today’s dose is .81mg divided in 3 equal doses.  The surgery is 10 days out.  I’m not stable at all but holding doesn’t seem to help either.  Maybe I’ll hold just a few days before the surgery.  Maybe the new med,  hydroxyzine, will help ease my symptoms.

Sorry..I’m rambling and all over the place with this post.  This is my brain on benzos.

Thanks buddies!

SG

💜

I really hope the surgery helps with some of your symptoms.  I know you are anxious and scared, anyone would be.  We will all be supporting you.  I have never taken that med, so no information but, if it were me, I would start holding now, that's just me.  Keep us posted!  LY, Mary 💜💜

Thanks Mary!  I can ALWAYS count on your support, good wishes and ideas!

You’re right...I’m scared!  :-\

SG

💜

I think that is very understandable and if you need to post , post and express it, you don't need to go through that alone.  :smitten: :smitten:

I had multiple chest x rays this year along with some teeth xrays. This was during tolerance, taper and post jump with no issues. I went under general anesthesia for a endoscopy during taper and had no increase in symptoms. I then had anesthesia again a fee weeks later for a colonoscopy and got very sick. However, it seemed like the sickness the second time was triggered by the megadose of magnesium in the colonoscopy prep and not from the anesthesia. I am not sure if you have been in the hospital yet but just in case you have to spend some time in there or the night be prepared with your dose. Hospitals are funny about taking outside prescriptions under their care. They will want to give you their in stock benzos and will not be sympathetic of your tapering dose. Hospitals tend to be extremely uneducated on benzo withdrawal. I was in the hospital multiple times throughout this ordeal and have had to have my wife sneak me things sometimes for my own safety. They would have me substituting meds and switching doses and they really don’t understand how sensitive we are in withdrawal. It’s nothing to fear, just have backup plans in place. That’s all I am saying. It’s not jail, you can get stuff from outside but unfortunately if you tell them they may tell you no. This was my experience multiple times this year. They even think I can just substitute nexium for a completely different ppi, not understanding that they each take days to work.

@[Ja...]

I’m trying to be brave but scared to death.  I’ve had several major surgeries before but not in the midst of a tolerance benzo withdrawal. 

I have to get it done.  The pain is increasing and the hernia is beginning to strangulate. It’s a quick surgery (less than an hour) and a small incision. 

Thanks again!

SG

💜

Hi Septgirl! You will be just fine! I had the exact same fears you have when I had pelvic restoration surgery 3 years ago. I almost backed out, but all went very well. It did not impact my taper at all. I was even able to tolerate the pain meds afterwards. Wishing you well! :thumbsup:

I took hydroxyzine on my taper for both anxiety and sleep. It was pretty effective -- more so for sleep than anxiety as it made me groggy. I stopped it because in a dose big enough to make me sleep I still felt dozey in the morning. It might well be helpful to you, sept.

Katz

Thanks Katz.  It seems the opposite for me.  Not very helpful with sleep though may be helping nausea/anxiety a little.  :smitten:

@Blacklablady Thanks for the good thoughts and wishes!!  :smitten:

@sjs Thanks for the words of encouragement!  Much appreciated!  :smitten:

SG

💜

Thanks buddies!

SG

💜

Are you sure okay to take your morning dose before surgery--assume you are getting some sort of anesthesia? I would just check with the doctor on that. Hope it all goes well.

Hi @NJstrength!  Yes.  I had pre-admission testing this past Thursday. I told them the meds I was taking and the dosage.  My morning dose of clonazepam will be less than .25mg.  I’m to take that, thyroid med and hydroxyzine which I take for anxiety/nausea. 

Thanks for the good wishes!  I’m scared.  :-[

SG

💜

....please don't be afraid, you will be surprised how much easier it will go than we always imagine.  Please keep us posted.  LY, Mary 💜💜😀