Author Topic: ~ Surgery Confirmed ~ Time To Panic ~ Tapering Clonazepam ~  (Read 290 times)

[Buddie]

Re: ~ Surgery Confirmed ~ Time To Panic ~ Tapering Clonazepam ~
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 09:14:31 pm »
I saw the surgeon today and Iím scheduled for umbilical hernia surgery on 11/15/19.  It was hellacious just going to the office visit as my anxiety is ridiculous. Thank God my husband was with me...though I drove as part of my ďexposureĒ therapy for agoraphobia.  I told the doc I was tapering off benzos and he took interest in that so it made me feel better.  My persistent nausea ďcouldĒ be caused by the hernia.  Probably the benzos but a girl can dream!!  Another stressor is coming up on Thursday.  I need to have pre-admission testing; blood work, EKG and a chest X-ray (not sure about the X-ray).  More anxiety.  :-\

I told him I donít want any antibiotics.  It reduces the chance for infection but I had Cdiff before from antibiotics and itís a very rare occasion Iíll use them. Rare occasion: DEATHíS DOORSTEP.  He agreed to a compromise.  I would be given one vancomycin which is an antibiotic BUT used to treat Cdiff. If youíve never experienced Cdiff consider yourself blessed! 

Iíll discuss premeds with the anesthesiologists. There are alternatives to benzos.  My PCP just prescribed Vistaril (hydroxyzine) to help quell the constant nausea, insomnia and anxiety.  Iíve read mixed reviews on it but Iím willing to give it a try.  Itís not a benzo but should help with the aforementioned issues. First dose is tonight.

If anyone has anything to add regarding hydroxyzine and if it was effective for you, Iíd be happy to read your experience! 

My first dose of clonazepam is at 8:00 a.m. The day of surgery, Iíll take my first dose of clonazepam at 7:00 a.m. Iíll probably have to be at the hospital before that time.  The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 a.m.  Iíll bring my afternoon dose with me in case things run late.  Iíll more than likely be in an anesthesia haze anyway. 

If all goes well, Iíll be home mid afternoon.

So, if you have any ideas to make the process go smoothly, Iíd be happy to hear from you!! 

In the meantime, I wonder if I should hold my taper? Todayís dose is .81mg divided in 3 equal doses.  The surgery is 10 days out.  Iím not stable at all but holding doesnít seem to help either.  Maybe Iíll hold just a few days before the surgery.  Maybe the new med,  hydroxyzine, will help ease my symptoms.

Sorry..Iím rambling and all over the place with this post.  This is my brain on benzos.

Thanks buddies!

SG
💜

Are you sure okay to take your morning dose before surgery--assume you are getting some sort of anesthesia? I would just check with the doctor on that. Hope it all goes well.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:23:57 pm »
Hi @[...]!  Yes.  I had pre-admission testing this past Thursday. I told them the meds I was taking and the dosage.  My morning dose of clonazepam will be less than .25mg.  Iím to take that, thyroid med and hydroxyzine which I take for anxiety/nausea. 

Thanks for the good wishes!  Iím scared.  :-[

SG
💜
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 09:50:37 pm »
Don't be scared [...], you are going to be fine. Keep u posted.

PG

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 10:34:55 pm »
Thanks @[...]!  Iím trying to be brave.  :-\

SG
💜

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 05:48:26 am »
We're rooting for you, [...].  :smitten:

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 10:00:15 pm »
....please don't be afraid, you will be surprised how much easier it will go than we always imagine.  Please keep us posted.  LY, [...] 💜💜😀