After 9 years, finally benzo free for 11 days and counting!!!

[Go...]

I was originally on Xanax, and then Ativan (up to 1mg x 3 daily... really 3mg+/day) "as needed" for anxiety since mid-2010 during some severe health/grief situations.

I started a taper on my own (Dec '16) after discovering the Ashton method.  By splitting Ativan pills I got down to about 0.6mg/day, divided into 5 doses each day. (Jul '18).

The small cuts were getting difficult, and I found a new psydoc who would support the Ashton program. Crossed over to 4.5 mg/day of Valium (in three divided daily doses) and generally felt better. (Sep '18).

After the crossover to Valium, I tapered slowly by dry-cutting 2mg valium tabs. By Oct 25, 2019 I was down to 0.125 mg/day and seemed stable... so I jumped! And so far, so good... with only occasional (relatively minor) WD SX. 

Glory to God for the healing and the help I've received!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I was originally on Xanax, and then Ativan (up to 1mg x 3 daily... really 3mg+/day) "as needed" for anxiety since mid-2010 during some severe health/grief situations.

I started a taper on my own (Dec '16) after discovering the Ashton method.  By splitting Ativan pills I got down to about 0.6mg/day, divided into 5 doses each day. (Jul '18).

The small cuts were getting difficult, and I found a new psydoc who would support the Ashton program. Crossed over to 4.5 mg/day of Valium (in three divided daily doses) and generally felt better. (Sep '18).

After the crossover to Valium, I tapered slowly by dry-cutting 2mg valium tabs. By Oct 25, 2019 I was down to 0.125 mg/day and seemed stable... so I jumped! And so far, so good... with only occasional (relatively minor) WD SX. 

Glory to God for the healing and the help I've received!

Dan

So, coming up on one month off benzos in a few days! The first 4-10 days seemed to be the most uncomfortable, but otherwise it's been pretty good! No significant anxiety "waves", although I catch myself keeping muscles (especially shoulders) tense for no good reason, gotta work on that. Memory is still kind of at a low point... can occasionally take a while to recall even simple things (like my old landline phone number while at Walgreens). But I eventually do remember them, and then test myself frequently to see that I continue to do so. Like an old hard disk that's slow... maybe remembering "re-writes" the info to a new memory location? ;)

Best to all of you on this journey, and thanks for the encouragement!

Dan

Dan,

A huge congratulations to you for being benzo free.

Sending you my heartfelt prayers and love for a speedy and complete healing soon!

Blessings!

Pi

After 7 years, I am also free!!!!!!

Congratulations

Much love sent

Blossom

Awesome! Another one breaks free! Sounds like you've overcome a lot, and this is another victory for you!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

4 months off benzos today! Still have some side effects, but I think I'm a little sharper and my memory seems to be coming back. Had a "mini" wave last week... but on the whole I'm doing pretty well, and recognize that this is part of the process just like getting off the benzos.

Best to all who are travelling this road, and thanks for all of the encouragement!

Dan

• 1 month later...

Six months off benzos today! Considering the extra stress of the COVID19 stuff, I'm rocking right along. Some muscle aches and pains lately... but I might just be getting old  ;)

Best to all!

Dan

• 3 months later...
10 Months free tomorrow! Discovered that Lipitor (for cholesterol) sets off some anxiety even at a tiny dose every other day, and the tinnitus is still pretty constant. But so glad to be off the benzos!

• 2 months later...

Made it to a full year off benzos today, after tapering for over 3 years before that.  It's been a rocky road, including this past year since "jumping" with the added anxiety and disruption from COVID in 2020.  Still, I think every day brings healing closer and helps give confidence that we'll all get there eventually.

Best to all!

Dan