Tapering Ambien

[91...]

Hi Lookinup,

Most here suggest only tapering one drug at a time, my thoughts would be to taper the Klonopin first, then when you're done with that and feeling stable enough, taper the Ambien.  I know you'll get lots of differing opinions on this, I see Oregonkatz told you on another thread that she tapered her benzo first then the Ambien but thought it might be better to taper the Ambien first.  You'll just have to figure out what will work for you I guess, but whatever you decide, tapering only one drug at a time is a good rule of thumb.

I didn't taper Ambien, I quit it cold turkey, just like I did Klonopin.  I'm not advocating this but I can tell you the withdrawal symptoms from quitting the Ambien were nothing compared to quitting the benzo.  Sure, I couldn't sleep much for a couple of weeks, and when I did I had terrible nightmares, but just about 24 hours after I got the Ambien out of my system, the terrible interdose withdrawals I was feeling from the Ambien were gone leaving me feeling calm and serene.

I hope you can figure out what you need to do, I know indecision can be very stressful, and who needs more of that?  :(

Pamster

[91...]

Hi Lookinup,

Most here suggest only tapering one drug at a time, my thoughts would be to taper the Klonopin first, then when you're done with that and feeling stable enough, taper the Ambien.  I know you'll get lots of differing opinions on this, I see Oregonkatz told you on another thread that she tapered her benzo first then the Ambien but thought it might be better to taper the Ambien first.  You'll just have to figure out what will work for you I guess, but whatever you decide, tapering only one drug at a time is a good rule of thumb.

I didn't taper Ambien, I quit it cold turkey, just like I did Klonopin.  I'm not advocating this but I can tell you the withdrawal symptoms from quitting the Ambien were nothing compared to quitting the benzo.  Sure, I couldn't sleep much for a couple of weeks, and when I did I had terrible nightmares, but just about 24 hours after I got the Ambien out of my system, the terrible interdose withdrawals I was feeling from the Ambien were gone leaving me feeling calm and serene.

I hope you can figure out what you need to do, I know indecision can be very stressful, and who needs more of that?  :(

Pamster

Thank you so much for your reply.  I would love to do the Klonopin first, but I am afraid that the interdose withdrawal I am already getting is more related to the Ambien’s short half life.  Have tried stabalizing before even starting by increasing K by .25 and taking three doses a day instead of one at night.  I think that is helping. Has only been a few days  You have come so far and must be so happy.  I hope I can take control of this and do it too before I end up at a rehab center to get it all out of my hands.  Don’t want that.  Just ordered a Milligram scale to measure out Ambien doses.  How much would you recommend going down each time?  I am on about 7.5.  Last night woke up drenched in sweat with numb arms.  I have a feeling it is Ambien.  Interdose symptoms are lots of needles jabbing, anxiety, adrenaline, twitching.  Hoping this interdosing will help with that and I can move forward. 

It sounds like you have your answer, your body seems to be telling you the Ambien needs to go first.  :thumbsup:  If it's causing you problems, I'd sure vote for tapering the Ambien rather than increasing the Klonopin, in my opinion, that's a lot harder to come off of.

You have all of the tools you need to get off of these drugs without going to rehab, you have your own good judgement, us and hopefully the support of those close to you.  I can't really give you any suggestions as to a taper rate for the Ambien, I see the Ashton Manual doesn't give direct taper advice, so perhaps you could start a thread on the Other Medications board for help.

[91...]

It sounds like you have your answer, your body seems to be telling you the Ambien needs to go first.  :thumbsup:  If it's causing you problems, I'd sure vote for tapering the Ambien rather than increasing the Klonopin, in my opinion, that's a lot harder to come off of.

You have all of the tools you need to get off of these drugs without going to rehab, you have your own good judgement, us and hopefully the support of those close to you.  I can't really give you any suggestions as to a taper rate for the Ambien, I see the Ashton Manual doesn't give direct taper advice, so perhaps you could start a thread on the Other Medications board for help.

You are making. A lot of sense.  If I already took an extra .25 K for two days, is it too late to go back to .5, Ugh.  I am so frustrated!

If you've only taken the increased dose for 2 days, perhaps you'll be fine to discontinue it, but predicting this stuff is nearly impossible as you've found out.  I'd sure give it a try if it were me though, because you seem sort of stuck, and this would at least get you moving in the direction you want.  This process is confusing, and the drug has compromised our ability to reason our way through it.  Just when we need our wits about us, the drug turns us into a confused, scared pile of mush.  (I'm not calling you a confused, scared pile of mush, I'm just remembering how I felt).  ;) 

[91...]

If you've only taken the increased dose for 2 days, perhaps you'll be fine to discontinue it, but predicting this stuff is nearly impossible as you've found out.  I'd sure give it a try if it were me though, because you seem sort of stuck, and this would at least get you moving in the direction you want.  This process is confusing, and the drug has compromised our ability to reason our way through it.  Just when we need our wits about us, the drug turns us into a confused, scared pile of mush.  (I'm not calling you a confused, scared pile of mush, I'm just remembering how I felt).  ;) 

Thanks.  I’m going to try it and see how it goes.

[91...]

How did you ever CT from Klonopin?  Were you on it long?  I still have no idea how to begin a taper and whether to taper Ambien first or both at same time?  Did you have debilitating side effects?  Glad you are off now!

[91...]

How can I taper Ambien if I also take Klonopin?  Will it interfere with that dose?  Would love advice.  Thanks!

How did you ever CT from Klonopin?  Were you on it long?  I still have no idea how to begin a taper and whether to taper Ambien first or both at same time?  Did you have debilitating side effects?  Glad you are off now!

Your answer to the Ambien question makes the best sense though—quit the Ambien first.

Hi Lookinup,

It sounds like you're going to taper the Ambien first, it's good to have a plan.  :thumbsup: How about your temporary increase of the Klonopin, have you reduced that yet? 

My cold turkey was brutal, I was on Klonopin for about 5 years, gradually increasing my dose to an insane amount, but I survived and am completely back to who I was before I started taking the drug.  Life is so good now because I'm so grateful to have it back.  Keep your hope alive.

Pamster

[91...]

Hi Lookinup,

It sounds like you're going to taper the Ambien first, it's good to have a plan.  :thumbsup: How about your temporary increase of the Klonopin, have you reduced that yet? 

My cold turkey was brutal, I was on Klonopin for about 5 years, gradually increasing my dose to an insane amount, but I survived and am completely back to who I was before I started taking the drug.  Life is so good now because I'm so grateful to have it back.  Keep your hope alive.

Pamster

Hi Pamster,

No, I will see how today goes without the afternoon dose.  The Ambien is causing my heart rate To go up. Never did that before.  Can you develop a paradoxical reaction to a drug?  So glad you are completely back to you.  Wish I was!  How brutal?  Were you housebound?  I don’t know what to plan for!  Thanks for keeping with me.  Lookinup