Mornings are a horror, Why?

[Ma...]

I dread going to sleep because my mornings are so bad. I’m filled with fear, anxiety, trepidation. I’m cold and dizzy. It’s horrible. I can’t schedule any meetings before noon. It takes until noon or later before I feel like a human being. Is it like this for anyone else and what can I do to make it better?

Same for me too and seems as I continue to Taper it gets worse.

Dr. Berg said that B1 with a fat blocks cortisol.  You could try that...helps a little and NAC also helps .......it controls Glutamate Excess and does great things too.  But ya still have sxs ...just not as severe.  And yes, it lasts for me till 11 a.m or 12.  Every Day.

I found this on the forum several years ago, I'm not sure it applies to you, but here it is.

MORNING ANXIETY

Depression and anxiety are worse in the morning. That is when your body's cortisol level is the highest (cortisol is stimulating) and that accounts for probably part of what you are feeling. Cortisol is the stress hormone, your body produces when you are under stress.

The paradox of stress/cortisol is that anxiety produces cortisol, which produces anxiety which produces more cortisol, which causes you to feel more anxious...etc....

Soon you find yourself in this never ending cycle of anxiety and depression.

What you must do to get well is ACCEPT your anxiety. You must ACCEPT your feelings and not try to fight them. Do this long enough and an interesting thing happens, the anxiety goes away."

Deanne Repich from her article Understanding Early Morning Anxiety says,

"Another reason why symptoms can be worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food.

It's important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses sugar, also known as glucose, as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too low or drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel.

This causes the brain to trigger the "fight or flight" response. The "fight or flight" response sends a rush of adrenaline, cortisol, and other neurotransmitters through your body to prepare you to fight or flee the perceived threat (low fuel).

This process can trigger physical reactions ("symptoms") such as trembling, rapid heartbeat, sweating, panic attacks, fatigue, insomnia, mental confusion, nervousness, dizziness, and more."

[64...]
I eat carbs as soon as i wake up and that helps me, also getting out of bed and moving around seems to help burn off the cortisol.

What about being so cold all the time. Especially in the morning. I dread getting out of bed and end up going back in like 10x. I’m like this until mid day. Thanks for your responses about morning anxiety!

What about being so cold all the time. Especially in the morning. I dread getting out of bed and end up going back in like 10x. I’m like this until mid day. Thanks for your responses about morning anxiety!

same! I'm always shivering, even in my hoodie, inside.  i think a side effect is temperature sensitivity i believe i read that somewhere once

Yes, I wake up in withdrawals and have a bad time.  I take my morning dose and exercise on an empty stomach while it settles in.  Seems to help me.

I am 19 months out and my mornings are still very bad...wake up with anxiety, and because of that diarrhea, 2-3 times..(it's a bit better now..but last month was like this every day) by noon, 1 pm it settles.. very bad, and this takes all my energy out and get tired very quickly..every day the same circle..so boring and frustrating..

I can't move in the morning an dfmost of the day... tho when finally get up am better.  I tis not blood sugar in my case as I sleep very little and eat about right up to going to sleep... so it not that.

It is weird.

And yes, been freezing and it is not that cold.

Mornings have been consistently the worst part of my day throughout this process. I think it has something to do with cortisol surges. I used to wake up mid panic attack every single morning. :sick: But the good news is that it does get better! I think the first morning I woke up naturally, I was so happy I made a post here on Bb about it. It happened gradually; the panic attacks lessened in frequency and severity. I still have difficult mornings, but I take comfort now knowing it's normal and will pass. Hot showers are a godsend. I also "wake and bake" on the weekends. Hope this helps.

Gwinna

Mornings have been consistently the worst part of my day throughout this process.

Mornings have always been a chronic butt-hurt, way before I took a Benzo... The process has them coming sooner and LESS "amusing".

I didn't know about cortisol, and such - that helps it make SENSE.

If I can get my MIND back, it's okay if I still wake up with a chapped as*

LC

Just want to acknowledge how horrid this is, and encourage you for somehow getting through it.  Yes, I have this too (morning horrors) - and have done ever since the first time I was put on psychotropic meds.  So thank you for asking this question as I've found it really helpful to read some of the explanations, and to know I'm not alone.  Thank you

To all who have this problem-----Please get your thyroid function checked! Cortisol is "kicked off" normally by T3, the active form of thyroid hormone, around 3AM. If your thyroid is too low, all these things described can happen. Prolonged physical stress greatly drops the thyroid hormones in the body.  You can experience body temp changes as the thyroid governs thermogenesis and is regulated by the thalamus. Low thyroid destabilizes your morning blood sugar. If that happens, the adrenals kick on to metabolize stored glucose from the liver.  Adrenalin will cause muscle shaking and sudden anxiety.  Eat a snack of protein with complex carb before bed to help correct potential AM hypoglycemia.

What to test?  TSH thyroid stimulating hormone, Free T3 and T4, Total T3 and T4.  The TSH should be under 1.5 and the other values should be at least 50% with the desirable level 75-90%.  Insist on all these tests as a TSH can be deceptively high while the other values are in the pits.  Doctors will incorrectly try to use only the TSH.

Cortisol has a natural rise and fall during the day. If you choose to test 24 hour cortisol, use the spit test with at least 4 data points.  A blood test is only one data point.

Ashwaganda can help the thyroid normalize whether too high or too low. I've used this both going to sleep and for the AM jitters.

I just had "blood work" with my GP. He mentioned that my thyroid was good without that being mentioned. I've never thought about my thyroid. Would that test include the things mentioned?

This sounds like something I should follow up on. What do I say to the doctor to get this kind of testing?

Thanks so much. My sleep and my temperature seem to be a mess.

To all who have this problem----

What to test?  TSH thyroid stimulating hormone, Free T3 and T4, Total T3 and T4.  The TSH should be under 1.5 and the other values should be at least 50% with the desirable level 75-90%.  Insist on all these tests as a TSH can be deceptively high while the other values are in the pits.  Doctors will incorrectly try to use only the TSH.

NEW INFO,  This is the NORMAL function, yes?  :thumbsup:

Is "kicked off" Cortisol @ 3AM a spike? Or gradual?  Had this decades before ANY meds. Been to sleep study, learned the logs etc.  After the first REM cycle (around 4am, never later than 5) I hear every car pass on the road etc. then tedious waits for patches of sleep - rinse repeat. Now I know why CBT was useless (for me).

Cortisol & PTSD are old news, this is first I've heard of the Thyroids role. Will get new Pcp (np) to run 24 hr cortisol.

For years I been on 'em over Thyroid (85% textbook Sx of Hashimoto). All the Free & total T's, "low range" TSH a "bit elevated" - probably due to ineffective Thyroid UPTAKE (or excess dumping)... Dr. SAW the Hashimoto, drew fasting labs 4x times a year, to catch a "T" under the "treatable line".

Finally, I brought him xerox from the library, and asked "Okay, doc - we HAVE the thryroid juice, let's go after what it's not doing the JOB." He said if we VERIFY a defect in Thyroid activity, (despite present bio-markers) then he could treat it.

Don't recall names for Thyroid "transport & usage" bio-markers. Doc's wont draw lab for 'em unless we ask. (US, Medicare) private insurance might do better idk

One must demand (sadly) a full, detailed paper copy of labs; And interrogate provider rigorously on interpretation.

THANK YOU hothot :smitten:

PS - So how does the thyroid regulate cortisol? Even a link will help.

RE:"To all who have this problem-----Please get your thyroid function checked! Cortisol is "kicked off" normally by T3, the active form of thyroid hormone, around 3AM. If your thyroid is too low, all these things described can happen. Prolonged physical stress greatly drops the thyroid hormones in the body.  You can experience body temp changes as the thyroid governs thermogenesis and is regulated by the thalamus. Low thyroid destabilizes your morning blood sugar. If that happens, the adrenals kick on to metabolize stored glucose from the liver.  Adrenalin will cause muscle shaking and sudden anxiety.  Eat a snack of protein with complex carb before bed to help correct potential AM hypoglycemia.

Cortisol has a natural rise and fall during the day. If you choose to test 24 hour cortisol, use the spit test with at least 4 data points.  A blood test is only one data point.

Ashwaganda can help the thyroid normalize whether too high or too low. I've used this both going to sleep and for the AM jitters."

I would strongly advise against running to the doctor with every little thing. It is withdrawal and you will make yourself crazy thinking something is wrong. Its just withdrawal. Highly unlikely you have something wrong with you during a benzo withdrawal.

This is not meant to cause further concerns for people already struggling.  It is meant to inform.

Response to quittingvapes-  I respectfully but vehemently disagree with your assertion. If "man-up and gut it out," works for you, great, not everyone is that fortunate.  People have different genetics, responses to drugs, etc. The probability of thyroid disruption for the average American is very high, and in this group especially due to the stress of withdrawal.  It's a legitimate concern and a reasonable thing to investigate. Anything that can help and is easily treated should be.

Thyroid hormone prescriptions are the #2 most commonly written prescription in USA for 2019.  Previously it was #1.  Hashimoto's thyroiditis is epidemic in the USA according to medical journals. Why? There are hormone disruptors found in many commonly used products.  Due to plastic containers, especially bottled water, we consume the equivalent of a credit card of plastic per week.  https://abcnews.go.com/US/humans-consume-equivalent-credit-card-worth-plastic-week/story?id=63687144

Oxybenzone is a fat soluble carrier agent that penetrates the skin. It's used in shampoo, skin care products, especially women's cosmetics and fragrances, and all kinds of lipstick/ lip balm products.  The CDC did a study and found dangerously high levels in children as young as 6yo. It disrupts normal hormones especially the thyroid. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29086472

This chemical is found in over 95% of all sunscreens...the thing we're all told to use! It contaminants bodies of water and cannot be removed by normal water filtering. It is so damaging that the state of Hawaii banned these sunscreens as it is killing off coral reefs. https://time.com/4080985/sunscreen-coral-reefs/

There is good rational, scientifically backed data to warrant checking your thyroid.

The reply is lengthy, but I think it thoroughly covers the topic.  I offer references and resources so that each of you can decide what is best for you. I am writing from scientific data, not an opinion.

For those of you requesting more information:

There are numerous blogs written by thyroid patients that contain great information. Some authors are medical professionals others are not. While they do not concentrate on withdrawal, they often mention it. http://www.tiredthyroid.com *She has an excellent e-book.

https://hypothyroidmom.com/the-focus-on-thyroid-lab-test-results-is-failing-patients/

This site is run by medical professionals so it is very detailed and a little technical, but don't let that put you off. There are excellent scientifically documented sections that may be useful to print off and give to a reluctant doctor.  https://www.nahypothyroidism.org/how-accurate-is-tsh-testing/

Excerpt from e-book that explains thyroid /cortisol relationship-

The hypothalamus, pituitary, and thyroid must all be healthy and functional for cortisol to be produced by the adrenal glands.  This is referred to as the HPT (hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid) axis.  A malfunction in any gland in this process and lack of the appropriate signal will result in low cortisol production....

Because so many seeking help on thyroid internet forums have low cortisol symptoms, they are often advised to take hydrocortisone before they start on thyroid hormone so they don’t experience an adrenal crisis.  However, most of these people do not have true Addison’s disease, which means they may just have sluggish adrenal glands caused by low thyroid hormone levels.  The addition of thyroid hormone may “reactivate” their adrenal glands to produce cortisol again.  Anecdotal testimonies suggest that it is the lack of triiodothyronine (T3, the active thyroid hormone) over many years that makes the adrenal glands sluggish.  Studies on thyroidectomized rats show that hypothyroidism induces adrenal insufficiency, which becomes progressively worse with time.  Initially, only the pituitary hormone that stimulates cortisol production, adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), is decreased, but with time, the hypothalamus hormone that stimulates the pituitary, corticotropic-releasing hormone (CRH), also drops.[210]   The rats appear to suffer from primary, secondary, and tertiary adrenal insufficiency, even though lack of thyroid hormone was the original cause.  This illustrates the difficulty in diagnosing the cause of relative adrenal insufficiency. The thyroid gland primarily produces two thyroid hormones:  thyroxine (T4) and T3.  T4 can also convert to T3, adding to the total T3 content in the body.  T3 has a circadian rhythm and peaks in the human body around 4 a.m., about 90 minutes after Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) peaks.[211] TSH stimulates T4 to T3 conversion in the liver,[212]...

Cortisol also has a circadian rhythm and is lowest around midnight, starts to rise around 3 a.m., and is highest around 8:30 a.m.[213]  The rise in cortisol after T3 peaks suggests that T3 is what gives the adrenals the energy they need at that hour to produce cortisol. (The statement that follows is for already diagnosed and medically treated patients- Do not do this on your own!)  Patients taking a dose of T3 before waking have reported improved cortisol levels, and some that were taking hydrocortisone have been able to wean off.  Thyroidectomized animal studies show that low thyroid levels lead to low cortisol levels.  To correct low thyroid levels, thyroid hormone must be administered.  However, thyroid hormone replacement can trigger an adrenal crisis if cortisol levels are insufficient.  How can this vicious circle be broken?  Instead of taking hydrocortisone, the adrenals can be supported with various vitamins, herbs, and supplements, and thyroid hormone should be raised slowly.  Vitamins A, B, and C are found in high concentrations in the adrenal glands and can be supplemented.[214)

*the numbers are scientific citations for her statements.

Lougheed, Barbara S.. Tired Thyroid: From Hyper to Hypo to Healing—Breaking the TSH Rule . Grain of Salt Publications LLC. Kindle Edition.

According to Dr. Abram Hoffer, Canadian psychiatrist, who treated withdrawal and mental disorders, niacin and vitamin C are especially useful.  He was able to help heroin addicts stop using without significant symptoms.  Detractors claim his original hypothesis of adrenochrome was inaccurate.  He stated that it was a working model, and if further research led elsewhere, no problem. Both vitamin C and niacin are benign substances that are not stored by humans.  Clinically it helps.

Buffered vitamin C - to support the adrenals.  Buffered form protects the gut from irritation. (Concerned about side effects of vitamins C? https://www.foodsmatter.com/nutrition_micronutrition/vitamins/articles/vit_c_therapy.html )

Niacin- calms anxiety and supports adrenals.  Although Dr. Hoffer used regular niacin, I couldn't take the flushing and use non-flush brand. It still helps.

Taurine- pseudo amino acid that is a natural anti-seizure med. It is found in bile salts made in the liver and consumed in meat. Works well for tremoring/muscle shaking.  It is the only substance known to reverse diabetic retinopathy.  Caution: It lowers blood sugar so you must take with food.  Is it safe? Good enough for the FDA as it is found in large quantities in energy drinks.

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin crucial for all linings (gut, lungs, etc.), the skin, and the conversion of thyroid to its active form. Although overdose is possible, it is incredibly rarely reported in the literature unless someone downs an entire bottle or eats polar bear liver (1 million units per ounce.)

Ashwaganda is an adaptogen herb that uniquely can support low or high thyroid to help normalize it. Although I've not found evidence of a "toxic dose" level, generally the upward amount is about 1200-1500mg per day.

Everyone is speaking from their unique perspective.  There are commonalities, but things are different based on many factors. The withdrawal experience of a 30 something male with testosterone protecting his thyroid is not the same as a woman who has fluctuations of estrogen and progesterone with her cycle which greatly affect the thyroid. An older person's liver doesn't have the same clearance rate for metabolites as the young guy. Your journey may be easier than someone else's, and it's not due to their lack of willpower, laziness, etc. but physiology.  Although attitude, support structure, etc. can greatly affect your view, you cannot overcome your body's abilities like the amount of thyroid you make. Help it to heal.

This is a place to seek help. Be kind and supportive.