My Dr. has no Clue...running out of options, need help!

[...]

I used to take 2.0 (sometimes 2.5) of xanax for 3 yrs, then I stopped CT for 1 week but couldnt take the SX. I continued xanax 1.5 since I have already been off for 1 week. Had an appt w my Dr. and i told her I wanted to taper w valium, she gave me 5mg per day. After I came here I noticed she was a lot off the dosage, then I knew She had no idea what she was doing.

I contacted a clinic that specializes in benzos detox and she confirmed the dosage is too low, the problem is that the cost for this clinic (they work w Dr. Ashton Method) is $350 consultation, meds and schedule, then each visit is $125. I feel great going to the clonic but cant afford it right now, I feel I hit a dead end...

Dont know what to do...maybe if I can get a schedule for my Dr. she might follow it? I dont know, Im running out of options and very scared...

Welcome to the Forum !!!!. Sounds like you have a game plan, just need to get your doctor on board. I would hope it you explained it to them they would be more than happy to help you through the process on your timelime. Good luck and glad to see you found this place.

Hi,

1.5mg xanax is roughly equivalent to 30mg Valium for the purposes of substitution and tapering, according to Dr. Ashton.

So it does sound like you need to have a discussion with your doc about this as soon as possible. We can help you with a plan then. The general suggestion is to taper aprox 10% of your dose every week or two.

Is it too late to bring a copy of the manual to your doctor if you make another appointment? And if your reading the manual the crossover involves introducing valium in place of xanax over time. Do you have xanax left that can be worked into your daily dosage so you can cross over properly, via ashton method?

I went to my appt w the ashton manual copy, she totally ignored it, I have like 30 1mg of xanax left, I need help w a schedule tapering off w valium, probably I can print it out and take it to her.

The schedule should be for 2mg of xanax tapering off w valium. I will appreciate it.

I went to my appt w the ashton manual copy, she totally ignored it, I have like 30 1mg of xanax left, I need help w a schedule tapering off w valium, probably I can print it out and take it to her.

The schedule should be for 2mg of xanax tapering off w valium. I will appreciate it.

I read the manual real quick and came up with a example for you. I think my math is correct ( correct me if I'm wrong please) and if you look at ashtons plan you can kinda figure out what I was looking at. Hopefully from my example you can figure out the rest.

Link to ashton: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

It still is best to speak with your doctor before you do any taper plan  :thumbsup:

1st week

Morning       .5 xanax

Midday         .5 xanax

Afternoon    .5 xanax

Evening        .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

2nd week

Morning    .5 xanax

Midday      .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

Afternoon   .5 xanax

Evening       .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

3rd week

Morning    .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

Afternoon   .5 xanax

4th Week

Morning    .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

Afternoon   .25 xanax + 5mg Valium

Hi Nin,

Click on 'Forum' at the top of the page and then click on 'Substitution Taper Plans' and explain your circumstances again and ask for a good taper plan.  Somebody will get back to you.

Just for your information......Valium is noted to cause depression.

Don't panic.  Some doctors aren't on board with slow tapering but if you hand them a schedule they may work with you.  If not, you may have to work with what you have.  There are ways to get off albeit may be a little fast.

Patty  xo

GMAN thank you!!

stoneyco-I will thank you I can probably compare to the one GMAn gave me.

Your taper plan is basically laid out for you if you cut her doses by 50% because her schedule is for 4mg Xanax and your beginning dose is 2mg.

Good luck getting the doctor to listen  :pokey:

Nin

There are other regular Drs. and PAs who understand the system without going to the high price person.  Absent that you have to either convince the present guy or do the Xanax taper but you know that.  Do you have enough Xanax to complete a taper should that be the case?

Jackson

Gman, if I read this right Nin only has 5 mgs of Valium to work with so your plan will not fly after the first level.  Also, Nin is not at 4 mgs Xanax but at 2 so there is no 50% cut.  Nin is going to taper with the X available and use Ashton's table for a Xanax taper but start at the 2 mg level on that chart.  Nin, am I correct?

I think so, I hope so...

I dont have enough Valium to even start, hopefully I can get the Dr. to understand, cuz there is a clinic that follows Ashton method but charges $350 initial visit!!

Gman, if I read this right Nin only has 5 mgs of Valium to work with so your plan will not fly after the first level.  Also, Nin is not at 4 mgs Xanax but at 2 so there is no 50% cut.  Nin is going to taper with the X available and use Ashton's table for a Xanax taper but start at the 2 mg level on that chart.  Nin, am I correct?

Gman gave her a detailed plan for crossing from 2mg xanax to 40mg valium through the first month to take to her doctor:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=23202.msg350077#msg350077

In the second month she would complete her crossover and after stabilizing, start tapering off the valium. 

(I hope you have seen Gman's detailed plan for you, Nin.)

You could also taper Xanax directly for a while before seeing if you need to switch to valium.  I did a successful xanax taper, and it wasn't too bad.   This was after a ativan cold-turkey which was disastrous.  Slooowww and easy is the key.  I was able to get down to 0.0625mg xanax and jump off there (break a 0.25mg pill in half, then split that).

The Xanax taper ship may have sailed as Nin arranged with the Dr. for the Valium program.  The conventional wisdom does seem to be that with Xanax having such a short lasting effect and Valium such a long lasting one,  the chances for success and ease are with the V taper.