Ideas for reducing stimulation while riding in a vehicle?

[Iw...]

I have an appointment on Friday that I have to go to and I've come to figure out that riding in a vehicle and going place stimulates me and sends me into severe withdrawal symptoms including akathisia, panic, intrusive memories etc. It's really intense for two days after. Does anyone have any tips for reducing stimulation while riding in a vehicle? I've even thought of wearing an eye mask. I am going to great lengths to reduce stimulation.

[40...]

Actually, the eye mask is probably a good idea.

I visited China about 7 months after my CT.  I was fairly functional at that point, but little things could become big things.  Looking at the insane traffic as we were being driven around was more than I could handle, so I didn't watch.

So hear are my coping techniques, as I have been driving back and forth from my house and my parents house, throughout withdrawal and it is a SEVEN HOUR DRIVE.  I listen to audio books when I drive.  If I am a passenger, I have to limit my phone time, or I will definitely get motion sickness and nausea.  The bumpier the road or the vehicle, the worse it is.  So far, riding a train was the worst experience for me, in this regard.  It was just SO BUMPY.  Try to look at nature out the window, even just looking at the clouds can help. 

Not sure how much you have been out, but sunglasses also help a lot for limiting the lights.  Also, try to avoid going at night, cause blinkers and headlights just exercerbate everything. 

@[Ba...]

Thank you. Wow, I can’t imagine China at 7 months, we are supposed to go to Japan in 4 years and I am already nervous that will be too much. All those lights and traffic!

@GreenCup

Thanks for the tips. I guess I am not sure what is actually happening when I go for rides. I absolutely cannot drive.  I just know my symptoms are out of control for two days after. I was wondering if it’s the movement in the vehicle, the light or the motion of seeing everything go by. I don’t get nauseous or motion sick, per se. I notice I have surges of adrenaline and can get easily DP/DR if I see motion on TV so I have limited what’s on. It’s taken 4 months for me to even be able to have the TV on. I used to watch crime and now after 4 months I can finally watch the Hallmark Channel. Quite a change for me.

Greencup,

One thought is that the Fear that it is going to happen again can actually feed the anxiety and recreate the experience that I’m  afraid of.  I do the 478 breathing, and it helps me a lot to stop negative or racing thoughts and helps me relax as soon as I notice them. 

Breathing techniques, Dr andrew Weil

4-7-8 breathing to calm nervous system 

https://www.drweil.com/videos-features/videos/breathing-exercises-4-7-8-breath/

I’ve been daily water microtapering for about 6 months. Just because it happens once doesn’t mean it’s going to happen again. I’ve had symptoms and flareups for no reason that I can put my finger on. I tell myself it’s temporary.

I myself  find it helpful and a great distraction to go out and about.  Socializing, love walking, interactions, watching people , nature, sunshine, animals, shopping, sightseeing, taking pictures.  something different or positive to focus on for a little bit can help me feel more alive and more connected.  Even though often there are symptoms, pain, and suffering, or may not feel up to it, I still do it as much as I can.

Driving and in general sitting is the worst most horrible position for me!  Driving on bumpy roads is Extremely difficult, due to chronic burning nerve pain, hypersensitive CNS worse with any pressure in my tailbone, SI joint, hamstring, sacrum pelvic area.  I  limit my travel, and drive myself shorter distances if the freeway is smooth. I sit on coccyx cushions and pillows behind my back. Listen to soothing music.  Also I sit on gel ICE packs for pain relief,  at home and in the car,  or out at a  Music event or restaurant etc.  these are ways I cope, as I do not want to give up continuing to live and enjoy I can. 

For longer distances my partner drives and I actually Lay in a custom form bed in the passenger seat on my side, tucked in with pillows on either side to keep me stabilized. I refused to let it stop me from all travel so that is my current solution.  Sometimes I ride the city bus and stand up during the travel  which is better than sitting for me!  Another coping plan.  It’s not perfect, and often I still suffer,  but some days it’s much better and I’m pleasantly surprised and grateful.