Diet for benzo withdrawal

[Cr...]

Hey guys,

What sort of foods and drinks are acceptable in benzo withdrawal?

Also, which foods/drinks are no-gos?

I'm guessing a no caffeine, no MSG, low-glutamate, high protein diet, which is gluten and dairy free would be a good one.

Would Unsweetened Almond Milk be acceptable in place of dairy milk?

I've heard a keto diet is good, but I really don't know what keto is.

Any ideas?

Dave.  8)

Honestly, it's going to vary by person. Keto is hardly any carbs at all and I didn't sleep when I tried it.  I'm ok with a cup of coffee in the morning and I use unsweetened almond milk.  Other people can't tolerate any caffeine, etc.  So if you make any changes in your diet, do it one thing at a time so you know what is affecting you if things get worse.

Hi Crowman,

I've always been interested in eating healthy food, learning and talking about it, so I thought I'd reply and give you a general overview of my diet.  I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible while tapering Ativan to lessen withdrawal symptoms.  I know nutritional needs are different for different people at different times of life.  We also might need to change our diet to adjust for other health concerns.  In my case, I need to keep my cholesterol down. 

I found while tapering, most supplements and herbs make me sick so I try to get all my nutrition from food.  I have a wonderful holistic MD supporting me and others to taper benzos and he confirmed the problems with supplements. (He is not the one who prescribed benzos!) I do take (and have no problems with) Omega 3, Turmeric and Magnesium Buffered Chelate.  I look at labels and charts to find the nutritional profile of foods.

My doc. recommends I eat a "low-inflammation" diet to support my healing. I try to eat lots of vegetables of every color.  I also eat a couple of pieces of fruit every day.  I eat healthy fats and limit saturated fats.  My main fat comes from olive oil, salmon, sardines, avocados and nuts, (especially almonds and walnuts), seeds and omega 3 eggs. I eat a limited amount of soy mainly from tempeh and sprouted soy tofu.  I try to eat only organic foods.

My protein comes from fish, non-fat yogurt, eggs, soy and sometimes a combination of grains and beans. For example quinoa salad with black beans or brown rice with lentils.  (Lentils and beans have lots of other nutrients too). 

My doctor recommends I avoid grains (definitely foods made from flour, white rice, regular pasta etc.) but I do eat quinoa, amaranth, millet, steel cut oats, chia seeds and hemp seeds. All of these cooked together with a cinnamon stick, a banana and an apple, topped with blueberries, ground flax and walnuts make a great breakfast.  My special breakfast recipe for brain health and energy!

I cut out coffee. I drink green matcha tea, tulsi tea and rooibos tea. (Be careful with different herbal teas)  Alcohol is out.  Juice is out because of high sugar content.  Lots of filtered water throughout the day is in.

The only dairy I eat is plain yogurt.

I try to eliminate all sources of sugar except fruit. For me it's difficult to cut it out 100%. I do limit it as much as possible though and only use a very tiny daily amount.  For example maybe a tsp. in my morning tea. For an occasional semi-sweet treat craving here's a simple quick recipe- Stir into a paste: 1 tsp. cane sugar, 2 tsps cacao, a small drop of vanilla and a tiny bit of almond milk; add a tsp. of almond butter. (It's like a healthy chocolate nut butter cup).

Anyway, that might be more info. than you want.  I realize what might be normal and easy for me might be too radical of a change for many.  I wish you healthy and enjoyable eating!

Luey

Luey has the basic plan that I’m following.  While tapering, I’m very sensitive to all starchy food...makes benzo belly a lot worse!  I’m sticking with fresh veggies and fruits, chicken meat, and yogurt/kefir.  I’m sure everyone will differ a bit.  I ate rice 6 hours ago, and it still feels as though it’s just not digesting.

Hi Crowman,

I've always been interested in eating healthy food, learning and talking about it, so I thought I'd reply and give you a general overview of my diet.  I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible while tapering Ativan to lessen withdrawal symptoms.  I know nutritional needs are different for different people at different times of life.  We also might need to change our diet to adjust for other health concerns.  In my case, I need to keep my cholesterol down. 

I found while tapering, most supplements and herbs make me sick so I try to get all my nutrition from food.  I have a wonderful holistic MD supporting me and others to taper benzos and he confirmed the problems with supplements. (He is not the one who prescribed benzos!) I do take (and have no problems with) Omega 3, Turmeric and Magnesium Buffered Chelate.  I look at labels and charts to find the nutritional profile of foods.

My doc. recommends I eat a "low-inflammation" diet to support my healing. I try to eat lots of vegetables of every color.  I also eat a couple of pieces of fruit every day.  I eat healthy fats and limit saturated fats.  My main fat comes from olive oil, salmon, sardines, avocados and nuts, (especially almonds and walnuts), seeds and omega 3 eggs. I eat a limited amount of soy mainly from tempeh and sprouted soy tofu.  I try to eat only organic foods.

My protein comes from fish, non-fat yogurt, eggs, soy and sometimes a combination of grains and beans. For example quinoa salad with black beans or brown rice with lentils.  (Lentils and beans have lots of other nutrients too). 

My doctor recommends I avoid grains (definitely foods made from flour, white rice, regular pasta etc.) but I do eat quinoa, amaranth, millet, steel cut oats, chia seeds and hemp seeds. All of these cooked together with a cinnamon stick, a banana and an apple, topped with blueberries, ground flax and walnuts make a great breakfast.  My special breakfast recipe for brain health and energy!

I cut out coffee. I drink green matcha tea, tulsi tea and rooibos tea. (Be careful with different herbal teas)  Alcohol is out.  Juice is out because of high sugar content.  Lots of filtered water throughout the day is in.

The only dairy I eat is plain yogurt.

I try to eliminate all sources of sugar except fruit. For me it's difficult to cut it out 100%. I do limit it as much as possible though and only use a very tiny daily amount.  For example maybe a tsp. in my morning tea. For an occasional semi-sweet treat craving here's a simple quick recipe- Stir into a paste: 1 tsp. cane sugar, 2 tsps cacao, a small drop of vanilla and a tiny bit of almond milk; add a tsp. of almond butter. (It's like a healthy chocolate nut butter cup).

Anyway, that might be more info. than you want.  I realize what might be normal and easy for me might be too radical of a change for many.   I wish you healthy and enjoyable eating!

Luey

Hi Luey!

The more information the better! Thank you so much!

I'll be sure to implement these tips into my diet, and see how I go.

From my signature, my taper is really rough, but it is getting more bearable by the day.

Dave.  8)

IMHO, this is what I am doing re: diet.

Ketogenic has been the very best for me and my husband, who does not take any meds, is on Keto and it's really helped him a lot.  We eat only whole foods.  Free Range Chicken, Grass Fed Beef and Grass Fed Butter, Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon, Free Range Eggs and organic Complex Carbs such as broccoli and asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.  We even make our own MAYO with Range free Eggs and Asparagus Oil.  Seems to help me through this taper......but sxs are still going to be something we will all have to deal with but at least our health is better with this diet.