Practicing Vulnerability and Courage with this Intro

[Iw...]

I was a smart, social, educated, and successful woman who ended up polydrugged from an Ativan withdrawal several years ago. This prescription cascade led to high doses of several Antidepressants, Z drugs, Benzos, Mood Stabilizers and Stimulants taken simultaneously. All of this time I was chasing normal; unable to recognize any of these symptoms as side effects, interactions or withdrawals-only as new uncontrollable behaviors I needed to get a handle on. A couple of years ago I cold turkeyed Klonopin beginning what I now know as my second withdrawal. I intermittently took Ativan and Klonopin until this summer.  I finally recognized I had become unrecognizable. I was able to remember who I was prior to being medicated and made the decision to taper my psychiatric cocktail. Throughout the summer I kept attributing withdrawal symptoms to side effects and cold turkeyed all of them with the exception of one that I am currently tapering.  I have experienced almost all of the symptoms I find on here am suffering immensely. I have never been to a forum on social media, now I am reaching out to them (and you) for peace, comfort and hope. I look forward to meeting you finding some comradery along with hope and healing.

Edit: revised intro per member request

Hi Iwant2breakfree.

Glad you’re here for support in your recovery. I think you’ll find reassurance and validation for much of what you’ve been through and are currently experiencing. This is a life-changing process for many of us.

Here’s a good board to begin posting to the wider community: Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so if you’d like, here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care,

Challis  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is a comprehensive and highly regarded free online resource about benzodiazepine use, withdrawal and recovery. If you’re not familiar with it we recommend having a look.

Hello Iwant2breakfree,

Your story brought tears to my eyes, I'm so sorry for the torture, heartbreak, loss of self and pain you've endured all of these years.  We welcome you and will do our best to support you as you recover. 

Pamster

• 3 weeks later...

I was a smart, social, educated, and successful woman who ended up polydrugged from an Ativan withdrawal several years ago. This prescription cascade led to high doses of several Antidepressants, Z drugs, Benzos, Mood Stabilizers and Stimulants taken simultaneously. All of this time I was chasing normal; unable to recognize any of these symptoms as side effects, interactions or withdrawals-only as new uncontrollable behaviors I needed to get a handle on. A couple of years ago I cold turkeyed Klonopin beginning what I now know as my second withdrawal. I intermittently took Ativan and Klonopin until this summer.  I finally recognized I had become unrecognizable. I was able to remember who I was prior to being medicated and made the decision to taper my psychiatric cocktail. Throughout the summer I kept attributing withdrawal symptoms to side effects and cold turkeyed all of them with the exception of one that I am currently tapering.  I have experienced almost all of the symptoms I find on here am suffering immensely. I have never been to a forum on social media, now I am reaching out to them (and you) for peace, comfort and hope. I look forward to meeting you finding some comradery along with hope and healing.

Edit: revised intro per member request

I could have written this. We are the same except after two miserable failed cold turkeys I did a very slow taper off a very high dose. In fact I think I hold the record here. My point is I managed to break free from multiple psych drugs and am doing well. I believe you’ll find other like minded people here. It was so bad at my lowest that I lost my job, my husband, my house and certainly my self esteem. I am soo much better now and for a very long time I’ve been able to live quite a normal life.  I have another job, a new home and plenty of self esteem to the point of being a bit much. Trust me you will too. You’ve come to the right place. I could actually have a husband but one was plenty. I prefer my dog.  :). The cute one as my avatar.  :smitten:

Cat person here, but I like dogs, they’re just too needy to have one of my own.  I babysit a friend’s dog for a week or two at a time and that works out for everyone.

☺️

Cat person here, but I like dogs, they’re just too needy to have one of my own.  I babysit a friend’s dog for a week or two at a time and that works out for everyone.

☺️

But not as needy as husbands 😂

You ladies have made me smile - Thank you! I definitely have fears of losing it all, luckily I have a supportive husband that is understanding of this process especially during my waves.  I also have a "mindful mutt" that has been such a blessing during this withdrawal.