Any Help For Anxiety?

[Je...]

I recently watched a documentary on benzos, and since I watched it, my anxiety has been an all time high. Absolutely terrified, panic attacks coming in waves. Even as I write this, it's giving me such a bad feeling. Is there anything that can help? I started taking ashwaganda and omega 3 fish oil. I usually take .5 mg of Klonopin at night around 7 or 8 pm, but this morning I took .25 mg because my anxiety was so bad. Is it better to split the dose? Sorry if this message sounds scrambled. :) Hoping these scary feelings go away soon.

[23...]

What worked best for me was to stay busy and not think about the anxiety.  It was still there, but I wasn't as aware of it if I could keep my mind occupied.  If you're up to it, a good 60-90 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise calms me down a bit.

As for supplements - a lot of people try various things.  Nothing seems to bring relief for a large number of people or we'd be recommending it.

So sorry you're suffering - anxiety is my worst symptom & it's so hard.  There are a lot of good suggestions on the Anxiety Board. Highly suggest you try as many of the tips as you can and keep at it.  I agree with badsocref - sustained moderate exercise is a really helpful.

For me personally, propranolol and chamomile tea have helped a lot with my anxiety.

Something that I’ve recently started doing that helps is breathing exercises. I’m sure there’s plenty of recommendations on the anxiety board too. I do 5-7-8 breaths: breathe in slowly through your nose to the count of 5, hold your breath to the count of 7, then exhale through your mouth to the count of 8. There are a bunch of variations on this technique. I do it anytime I start getting that anxious feeling in my chest and it helps calm me.

Jenny,

Why did watching Lisa Ling give you a constant anxiety that you can’t seem to shake?

I also wonder about your original seizure condition. Is quitting benzos an option for you? Was the root cause ever identified?

Jenny,

Why did watching Lisa Ling give you a constant anxiety that you can’t seem to shake?

I also wonder about your original seizure condition. Is quitting benzos an option for you? Was the root cause ever identified?

Hi Jack, it just deeply affected me. The documentary almost confirmed all of my biggest fears. I'm so scared of losing my mind, either by continuing to take Klonopin, or by tapering down. I'm scared of what the drug has already done to my brain, and what it might do. It really triggered something in me, and I'm still dealing with bad anxiety, unlike any I've ever experienced. It's crazy how powerful our minds are. My neurologist told me that I had a "abnormal brain waves". I never really got any other explanation. Its very foggy but I know I got in to a roll over car accident either right before, or right after my seizure. I know it sounds silly that I can't remember, but I was only 17, and they happened almost back to back. It would make sense if the accident were before the seizure, but I feel like my parents would have told the doctor that... So i think the seizure came first. I hope that quitting benzos is in an option. I'm wondering if I should see a neurologist instead of a psychiatrist? Feel so lost!

Okay. This is why I asked. This site is very anti benzo. My go to response would be to say get off the benzos as soon as you can. However, that may not be the right answer for you. I think you have the right idea about seeing a neurologist. Also, try not to fear the unknown. There is a positive spin for everything. Lisa Ling’s episode was filmed in a way shed light on the harms of benzodiazepines. There are zero studies available to the public that state that EVERYONE who takes benzos will suffer absolute harm. Cigarettes cause cancer. Does that mean if you smoke you will get cancer? No it does not. Fluroquinolone antibiotics cause severe nerve damage in many that take them. Do you realize how many people I have said that to who said “Really, I’ve taken Cipro 10 times and I’m totally fine.” Could benzos have changed your brain chemistry? Yes. You were having seizures. Who is to say that the changes made might not be good for you? We can’t definitively say that. Benzos may have saved your life. It seems you have already decided that they have destroyed it. I believe that is what is causing you so much anxiety. I think you would be making a wise choice to see a neurologist to find out if coming off benzos is a option for you. Maybe, exploring alternatives with them.

Also, even if benzos have harmed you, for the majority of us it is only temporary. There is a way off. And healing is an attainable goal.

Thank you Jack! I'm starting to feel better. I know it's all in my head and I'm getting way to worked up over it. I'm going to take things slow, and start my taper when I feel more comfortable, and after I follow up with a neurologist. Thank you for your inspiring words. I will "what if" myself to death! I'm getting my life back. :)

There's tons of good information on this forum. i hope you'll read as much as you can and make decisions for yourself based on the input of many experienced people here. I suggest you read a bunch of success stories - they're incredibly encouraging as we travel this challenging but ultimately rewarding road.

I wish you the best in your healing as you say farewell to benzos.

I watched the documentary too Jen. I was actually very anxious about watching it the week they were advertising it. I bit the bullet and watched it. From what I can remember, it was mostly about 3 case studies. I think they were rather extreme cases. If you remember at the end, it was Lisa Ling's elderly father who was addicted to benzos. He seemed to be doing quite well!! The woman who was doing the liquid titration seemed to be getting along. The others they showed in the episode I think were probably taking large doses and went cold turkey off of them. It's just my opinion because they never really said what caused those people to be shaking uncontrollably. I'll agree it was rather disturbing to watch but I feel that they may have embellished the effects of benzos. JMHO The first guy tried to CT twice from Klonopin and Ativan! It's no wonder he ended up as he did.

Actually a large percentage of us were severely damaged by low doses for a short period of time. After just 5 months of being on Xanax I was so sick I was losing a lb per day from tolerance withdrawal. We don’t really understand why some of us build tolerance and get damaged so quickly. I think this is why I feel the OP is going to be okay. I have a reverse view on this. I think that fact that a person is on benzos for a long term is not the death sentence they think it is. The fact that you can take the same dose of benzo for 5,10,15,20 plus years and not be a total wreck tells me that in some way your nervous system is resistant to the damage. I could not have survived another 6 months on benzos. If you forced me to take the same dose of benzo for years my body would literally shut down. The case studies in the Lisa Ling episode were actually mostly low dose short termers. I can relate because I almost ended up being their story. If you can take Xanax everyday for YEARS and still be here to tell the story then there is something different about your body and cns compared to us short termers that are severely damaged. I don’t agree that long termers are doomed. The very fact that you have been able to slam your nervous system with this drug for 10 years and not end up in the ER everyday like me shows a certain strength or resilience in your CNS that I clearly am lacking.

As for supplements - a lot of people try various things.  Nothing seems to bring relief for a large number of people or we'd be recommending it.

I agree about the supplements and I have tried a lot of things over the years. The B vitamins were the only things that made me a lot worse (too stimulating). The rest of the stuff I tried had no effect. I wish I could find something natural that could offer some relief. The only things I am doing now are light aerobic exercise and I meditate daily. This helps some but I still struggle. Hang in there.

First off - stopping K CT is a harrowing undertaking - driving you insane, quite so! I tried, could only last 3 weeks before I had to give in, reinstate. I remember my psychiatrist telling me "Oh no, you didn't", that it could actually be dangerous, catastrophic. Do this at at your own peril!!

Thank you Jack! I'm starting to feel better. I know it's all in my head and I'm getting way to worked up over it. I'm going to take things slow, and start my taper when I feel more comfortable, and after I follow up with a neurologist. Thank you for your inspiring words. I will "what if" myself to death! I'm getting my life back. :)

Yeah I'm with Jack here.. This place can be very anti Benzo.

Realize that people are prescribed Klonapin specifically for seizure disorders. They live entire happy lives taking those meds.

Instead of seeing it as "Oh my god a Benzo" they simply see it as "I take this medication to prevent seizures". Their doses can

be extremely high. I've seen 2mg 3x a day. In fact I hold a prescription at that dose because it's "normal" for some people.  It

saves me from going to CVS every month or worrying about it.  :P

Find peace. Worry about your tapering when you find that first. Consult your neurologist as to quitting and what your other

possible anti seizure medications are if you want to quit.

You're not crazy. That documentary can scare anyone who takes Benzos.