Short-term Ativan prescription - halfway through a direct taper

[Os...]

Hi all, I started a progress log but realized that this forum is the appropriate place to get feedback, advice and support.

Quick background:

I was prescribed Ativan earlier this summer for work-related anxiety, a 1-month supply at 0.5mg, then 1-month at 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening.  I refilled that prescription monthly for a total of 3 months at that dosage.  I'm on the third (and final?) refill because I told the doc that I didn't want to take Ativan long-term, and wanted to begin a taper.  He tried to dismiss my concerns about Ativan, and said I was taking a relatively low dose and I could just stop if I wanted to.  I ignored his careless advice and developed a Direct Taper schedule.

Week 1 of October - 0.5mg morning + 0.5mg evening

Week 2 of October - 0.5 morning + 0.25mg evening

Week 3 of October - 0.25 morning + 0.25mg evening

Week 4 of October - 0.25 morning + 0.125mg evening (holding here now)

The next phase of the plan will be:

0.125 morning + 0.125 evening

After that, I'm going to:

0.125 morning, no evening dose

After that, I'm going to:

0.125 every other day

If that's tolerable, I was planning to Jump from there.

Symptoms so far have been manageable.  I've taken some benedryl proactively, as I've read that can help prevent some withdrawal.  I do get some ear ringing every now and then, but it passes quickly.  Night sweats every few days as well, but that was happening when I was using the meds.  I also get sleep "jerks" that wake me up if I try to nap, that started after I started taking Ativan, but doesn't happen during night sleep.

I'm trying to be careful for this last portion of the taper.  I don't want to be too hasty, but I also don't want to stay on this drug longer than necessary, because I thank my lucky stars that I read about its risks before taking it for years.

Anyone have a similar story?  Also, I was previously prescribed Ativan twice in my life, for Anxiety, both times short-term.  Both times I CT'd without knowing anything about it, and I don't remember any WD in particular.  Maybe that's a good sign for this time?

I ordered a scale on Amazon.  It cost less than $25.  I think I will start a dry micro taper for the final phase of this taper, since people say the end is the hardest. 

How much should I reduce per day if I micro?  I'm planning to shave 1/4 pills of Ativan to get them to the right cut per day. 

As a reminder, tapering from short-term (3 month) use of 1 mg Ativan per day.

Currently down to .38mg per day, sys okay.

10/29 symptoms are:

- some ear ringing (one ear at a time, passes quickly)

- good sleep last night, some wake-ups but quickly fell back asleep

- no night sweats last night, that's good

- some heart palpitations (resting heart rate was 70 this morning, up from 61 yesterday)

- general anxiety

I'm 4 days from the last cut, with Ativan I'm assuming w/d peaks in 3 - 4 days after a cut.

I'm on a lower total dose than any time since start (4 months ago) and my dose is now lower than the smallest pill size of Ativan.  That makes me happy, I'm getting through this alright, and the lower my dosage the more comfortable I am with this situation.  Even if I have to hold for a long time at a low dose, that's okay.  I'm not accidentally blasting my brain anymore with 1mg per day.

Hi Osprey,

Head over to the Ativan Support Thread (under Support Groups). They can definitely answer your questions and give you support.  ;)

SW14, thank you so much for your reply.  I wasn't sure if anyone was reading my posts, and it is nice to know that people are out there to help.  That makes all the difference in the world in this confusing journey.

• 1 month later...

How are your taper going? Your story sounds a lot like mine! I was prescribed lorazepam 0.5 mg to be taken daily starting in September 2019.  Had I known the evil poison I was putting in my body, I never would have accepted the prescription.  Doctor wanted to up the dose, and I said no thanks. So, took my pill every day for three months.  Towards the end of November, I finally realized my heart was pounding in between my dose. Especially at night. Night sweats like you wouldn't believe. I also tried cutting my pills in half, thinking I could just do that with no ill effects.  Wow.  No realistic. Headaches, tremors, no sleep, even on Ambien. Finally figured out a more reasonable tapering schedule. Am cutting out approximately 1/8 week one, and then 1/4 every week from my 0.5 pill for approximately 4-5 weeks.  I don't even want to refill the script--it's that hateful to me.  I'm so glad I refused the Kloneprin, valium, trazedone, and seraquel (imagine the world of hurt I would be in if I accepted all that junk). I am saving my cuttings in case I need them in January.

I am 1 week into my taper, and the worst symptom have been insomnia, mini panic attacks, and night sweats.  I am using deep breathing exercises, tapping, and meditation to reduce my anxiety and stress.