Federal Jury Summons

[Ma...]

Hi All I got a federal jury summons that requires me to drive over an hour into Oakland and be on call for two weeks. I am at the most difficult part of my taper and definitely struggling I was also having strange issues driving even before tapering Mostly when It would happen when I would be out of the slow lane and maybe passing trucks I would just get this total panic thing that I had never ad before in my life. Anyway I am hoping to get out of this, and am wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Just request a postponement for medical issues. That will buy you a little time. But you’re best bet might be to have someone drive you and tell them what your issue is and you will likely be dismissed.

Hi All I got a federal jury summons that requires me to drive over an hour into Oakland and be on call for two weeks. I am at the most difficult part of my taper and definitely struggling I was also having strange issues driving even before tapering Mostly when It would happen when I would be out of the slow lane and maybe passing trucks I would just get this total panic thing that I had never ad before in my life. Anyway I am hoping to get out of this, and am wondering if anyone has experienced this?

There’s an eJuror Program online where you can check eligibility.  One of the requirements is you need to be free from a disqualifying “mental or physical condition”.  Unfortunately, you still have to show up and present your hardship.  A nicely written explanation and standing before the judge is your potential ticket out. 

I got out of county jury duty sending a medical excusal note for anxiety from my doc last year.  I sent it back with the questionnaire and was excused. 

Again...federal isn’t so lenient. 

My current condition?  There’s no way I could even show up.  If I’m called, I’m screwed.

Good luck.

When i lived in New York, I was asked twice and both times I wrote my own letter saying I had anxiety and panic disorder and I got a letter back saying I was excused.  I was never called again and I wonder if they excused me forever.

Just request a postponement for medical issues. That will buy you a little time. But you’re best bet might be to have someone drive you and tell them what your issue is and you will likely be dismissed.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Getting a ride for a single date would probably not be to tough, but this is , supposedly at least, one of ten different possible days with about 12 hour notice for each. I will try to make arrangements for the first day and maybe I will get lucky

My GP wrote a letter asking that I be excused due to anxiety issues and sciatica. I got a return letter saying I'd be excused for life.

This was not for federal jury duty though, so I'm not sure if you could send a letter or not. It could be worth checking on.

Sorry you got hit with that to figure out on top of a taper. Hope you can be spared the hour drive too.

I have no advice for you, since I've never been called for federal jury duty.

I'm a Bay Area native, and that drive from Napa to Oakland in the morning would not be fun. The Carquinez bridge, the 580 merge in Richmond, the Bay Bridge maze... wishing you luck.

I had a similar situation happen to me about 2 years ago.  It was the third district court for this state.

I received a letter requiring me to show up at the courthouse at 8 am the following Monday morning for jury duty. Along with the letter were instructions for filling out my information by letter or online. I chose online.

I was on the phone with my previous co worker who was wishing me happy birthday. She had just commented on my voice, and I told her, “this is my good voice!” When we got off the phone, I looked at the requirements: 18 years  of age or older (yes),  citizen/naturalized citizen of the US (yes), understand the English language (yes), ability to speak the English language (no).

And then: “If you answered no to any of the above requirements, please explain.”  So I typed in that I have a rare disorder that affects my ability to speak (idiopathic subglottic stenosis) and that I would provide medical documentation. The next morning, I received a call from the court that I was excused from jury duty for life.

I have never been called to federal court myself however. I would say the same thing if I was though. Idiopathic subglottic stenosis is primarily a disorder that affects breathing, but if one has to have open airway surgery, it will significantly affect the ability to speak. And then you add to this, my dependence on clonazepam, and its an intersection of a physical disorder and a benzo.

I took my husband to his cardiologist several days later and told her about this. And she said, “you will never be able to serve on any jury with that voice of yours.” I hope my voice does return to the point where it was when I first started clonazepam. But this involve Broca’s area of the brain, so we shall see.