Please help! Been sick for 6weeks what is the safer antibiotic?

[Ma...]

I have had flulike symptoms with serious fatigue for six weeks. I’m just getting an appointment with a doctor on Wednesday. I know she’s going to suggest antibiotics. After being sick for this long relentlessly I am willing to try an antibiotic. Would amoxicillin or a broad-spectrum be acceptable? There’s so many nightmares about antibiotics but I don’t think I have a choice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated . Thank you

[3b...]

I've known the flu virus and infections to last 6 weeks and more dependent on the issues pertaining to them. I had a very bad setback from amoxycillin, if you go on to the Medication Setback thread in support groups you will find lots of  links to scientific research that may help you to evaluate your position better. I have all those links but unfortunately I'm not able to give them to you as I'm not able to access my computer. You can google "do antibiotics affect the cns" and you will likely find them.

Don't forget that ABs may sometimes be totally necessary and being sick can cause a setback too and not everyone reacts badly to ABs, we are all different. For myself i need clinical evidence of needing one eg a swab showing presence of infection. I've had flu like sxs in bwd that lasted a very long time.

Personally, I don’t go for the throwing medications at the wall to see if they stick approach that doctor’s like to pull anymore. Antibiotics can be fine for some or cause setbacks for others. Why would you take an antibiotic for withdrawal? Is it worth the risk to treat an infection that may not exist? Of course not. An antibiotic would only be worth it if we knew for sure there was an infection. A simple blood test will show if you even have an infection. Insist that you confirm the infection before taking an antibiotic. There ARE tests now that can show with 90 percent accuracy whether you have a virus or a bacterial infection. Whether there are any labs performing these tests commercially in your area is something to discuss with your doctor. At the very least they can do a CBC and check for high WBC. If there is no elevated WBC then there is likely no infection at all, neither bacterial nor viral. Be firm with your doc. Get the treatment you want or find a new doc. We can not afford to take pills for the heck of it while out bodies are in this fragile state.

Btw, I hit a severe setback this week. Severe flu like symptoms. Bloodwork came back clean. No infection and was discharged. Went home with a clear kind knowing that it was in fact withdrawal. You

Don’t have to go to the ER for this. This can be done even more thoroughly as an outpatient.

Sure, well firstly what they are. They are still here though they have lessened in severity quite a bit. I had a sore throat, but no congestion. No coughing or stuffy nose. Just the sore throat feeling. Feels like I have a 104 fever though I am exactly 98.6. The highest was 98.8. Lowest was 95.9. But no actual fever. Severe shivering and chills. My skin feels hot to others touch but the thermometer says no. I have joint pain and the raw skin feeling that you get with the flu. Anything touching my skin makes me cringe. Severe fatigue. I mean severe.

It is letting up today finally. This is not the first time. Early in withdrawal I had an actual fever too with it. About 101-102 degrees and a blood test confirmed that there was no infection that time as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Jack,

You were right all along. My flu like symptoms were withdrawal. I updosed and still have this horrible fatigue. Has yours gone away yet? I had to take a leave from work because of it.

Jack,

You were right all along. My flu like symptoms were withdrawal. I updosed and still have this horrible fatigue. Has yours gone away yet? I had to take a leave from work because of it.

I am mostly out of the wave I was in. Tapering Remeron causes flu symptoms as well. I think my most recent flu symptoms were from that taper. As far as benzos go the flu like symptoms tapered off a few months post taper. They call it the benzo flu. It is a very common symptom. The fatigue lasted longer than the flu symptoms. The fatigue lasted for around 5 months post taper and still comes back in short mild windows occasionally.

I am almost 2 years off and still get flu symptoms off and on at times. I got tested for

Jinfluenza 2 weeks ago and it was negative it was withdrawls. :/

I actually contracted the flu a month ago and thought I had overdone it on my bike and other activities. It hit me hard, but not like some strains. The B strain is predominant right now. I ended up with a fever of 100.9, horrible aches etc. The benzo flu is somewhat different for me, but I have not had that in a long time. Be careful, because the flu is rampant and it would no fun on top of withdrawal.

Are you still sick? Just a thought..if it seems like withdrawal then propably is but long term flu like symptoms with fatigue are also hallmark symptoms of mycoplasma and they rarely test it. It's bacterial and sometimes goes away on it's own and sometimes not.