What builds gabba back up

[su...]

I found this list of food which produces the most Gabba. I don't know if it helps with benzo recovery but I'm sure switching my diet at this point to this stuff. I know fish of course too helps. I love salmon but can't afford to eat it everyday. I might have to start figuring out a way to get it cheaper. I'm trying to take fish oil supplements. I know I tried them early on. I don't think they hurt anything so I'm going back to trying to take them everyday. What else can we ingest which might help?

Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts)

Soy beans

Adzuki beans

Mushrooms

Spinach

Tomatoes

Buckwheat

Peas

Chestnuts

Sweet potatoes

Sprouted grains

Rice (specifically brown rice)

White tea

You do not eat GABA products to help with healing.  GABA (full name, Gamma-Aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid produced naturally in the brain. GABA functions as a neurotransmitter, facilitating communication among brain cells. GABA’s big role in the body is to reduce the activity of neurons in the brain and central nervous system. What you eat is digested and not used in the brain.

You do not eat GABA products to help with healing.  GABA (full name, Gamma-Aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid produced naturally in the brain. GABA functions as a neurotransmitter, facilitating communication among brain cells. GABA’s big role in the body is to reduce the activity of neurons in the brain and central nervous system. What you eat is digested and not used in the brain.

Of course what you eat is used by the brain. Do you think it has a seperate power supply?

Agree that what we eat goes to the brain too. How do those foods make GABA. Like they contain it? But do we needGABA or do we need functioning GABA receptors??  In any case those are tasty foods so why not.

Yes, exercise.

Oxytocin. (From cuddling with a loved one)

Someone once posted that meditation can. Idk for sure.

Of course what you eat is used by the brain. Do you think it has a seperate power supply?

This made me laugh.

You have plenty of gaba stored in the troughs next to the receptors.  It’s the receptors that are down regulated. 

But that’s a great list of healthy foods to eat!

Sofa

sunlit1000-

There is quite a debate about what methods we have the ability to use that will promote brain healing.  I’m just 2 months in to tapering from 20 years of Xanax, and I can only speak for myself.  I am normally a “clean eater”, (family calls me a Granola-crunching, healthfood hippie), but I have been cooking and baking for a friend, and sharing meals.  For me....ANY REFINED FOOD, like white sugar, flour, processed foods, meat with nitrates, and empty calorie foods....all cause me to have side-effects.  I get sluggish, seem less “bubbly”, my stomach reacts with Benzo-belly (it’s a real thing), and my sleep suffers even more than my original insomnia.  So, while certain foods may not directly rebuild receptors, eating healthy and avoiding refined foods will definitely help you feel better during taper, and caring for your general health will promote whole body and brain healing.  🌹

Great list of healthy food! As Sofa mentioned, the underlying issue is the receptors, not a lack of GABA.

:smitten:

I'm no doctor so sorry if this is a dumb question but lets say your body makes new GABA from eating these foods and exercise will the receptors on the new GABBA work better than the old which has been damaged? I really have no idea how GABA works.

Does exercise or anything heal the receptors?

I'm going to ask my doctor maybe.

What I don't understand is how short term use could lead to downregulation of receptors. Isn't that something that happens after long term use? I'm suffering like any other long term user here after taking ativan daily for a month.

Me too, Ptsd.  I’ve cried buckets over my short term sporadic use and ending up like all the others who took benzos for years.  I’ve read many short term stories like ours.  Once the downregulation happens, you’re in it for the long haul. 

Sofa

Great list of healthy food! As Sofa mentioned, the underlying issue is the receptors, not a lack of GABA.

I'm no doctor so sorry if this is a dumb question but lets say your body makes new GABA from eating these foods and exercise will the receptors on the new GABBA work better than the old which has been damaged? I really have no idea how GABA works.

Does exercise or anything heal the receptors?

I'm going to ask my doctor maybe.

Yes. Check out the book I posted earlier.

Really? Ok- I’m getting that book.  If it helps the actual receptors, that is huge!

Does anything else help the actual receptors?  Meditation?

Really? Ok- I’m getting that book.  If it helps the actual receptors, that is huge!

Avoiding alcohol is important, alcohol affects the same receptors in the same way. As to what can heal the receptors faster, the only proven cure is time itself.  Lots of folks don’t like to hear it, but to my knowledge there is no magic bullet other than waiting, and taking care of yourself while you’re waiting. Certainly exercise can help, good nutrition as well.  It’s my opinion that these things help with symptoms, but maybe not as far as accelerating the body’s healing.

Just my opinion... except for avoiding alcohol.  There is too much evidence that alcohol defeats healing.

What I don't understand is how short term use could lead to downregulation of receptors. Isn't that something that happens after long term use? I'm suffering like any other long term user here after taking ativan daily for a month.

Agreed, it doesn’t make sense.  I healed faster after 30+ years of off and on use than some who were very short term.  Perhaps some people are more inclined to be affected faster, maybe genetics are in play.  No one knows for sure yet.  Not much research. 

Meditation has been shown to help brain growth, so I would imagine it would help with BWD. And it is something that seems for some to calm down their CNS.

Avoiding alcohol is important, alcohol affects the same receptors in the same way. As to what can heal the receptors faster, the only proven cure is time itself.  Lots of folks don’t like to hear it, but to my knowledge there is no magic bullet other than waiting, and taking care of yourself while you’re waiting. Certainly exercise can help, good nutrition as well.  It’s my opinion that these things help with symptoms, but maybe not as far as accelerating the body’s healing.

Just my opinion... except for avoiding alcohol.  There is too much evidence that alcohol defeats healing.

Challis99,  I'm confused: Are you saying you know of solid, peer reviewed scientific evidence that CNS GABA receptors heal after being damaged &/or changed by benzos or are you saying that is "just (your) opinion"?

Nearly everything is opinion in this, no matter who says it. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.  Even the alcohol comments, although the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming.

I realize some folks bristle up at the ‘time is the only healer’ mantra.  That’s the best we’ve got so far. Nothing else has proven to lead to healing, although there are different things that seem to help as far as symptoms. There may be things that actually promote faster healing, but there’s no proof or good anecdotal evidence that I’ve seen.  I’m always open to new information, though, who wouldn’t be. 

Time does heal, although not at the same rate for everyone and sometimes not 100% (whatever 100% means).

Thanks for the list of good foods, sunlit. 

I know what you mean about not being able to afford salmon every day. 

I intersperse with sardines on toast for the Omega 3. 

Some people don't like sardines, but I love them.  🐟 

Dee

Vigorous exercise has been proven to not only raise GABA levels but raise their production rate as well. I know for a fact things started to turn around for me when I started making exercising part of my routine & it’s done absolutely nothing but helped ever since. I’m living a wonderful life at just a year off from CT of 4 mg of Xanax & suboxone as well. I posted an article month’s back that did a study on the percentages of GABA levels in those that exercised hard for 20 min & a group that didn’t. The group that did showed almost an 80% increase if I’m not mistaken. I’ve been running weekly for over 10 month’s now and am in the best shape of my life. RARELY come back her. In all honesty, I’ve gladly moved on from benzos being any part of my life. Hopefully this can help in some way. Take care & all the best [/img]