Hello, Ativan 14 yrs

[Bl...]

Hi everyone I saw this forum mentioned in a show I was watching, Lisa Ling, and it was about benzodiazepines and a woman mentioned this website and how much it's helped her to be a part of a community. I'm very thankful that I saw that and found this.

I have been on benzodiazepines for about 23 years I currently take Lorazepam 1 mg 4 times a day. I was prescribed while my brain and body were still growing at about 14 yrs old.

I was prescribed for anxiety and now I don't know how to handle anxiety without having to take a lorazepam, it's like my brain never learned how to function through stress and anxiety because the lorazepam just took it away mostly. Like my brain didn't ever learn

I want to understand how to eventually start tapering down lorazepam and hopefully someday not need to take them at all.

Having been on them for so long it's really hard to function through the day not taking one, I feel like I can't do anything or feel normal without taking lorazepam. I can't feel comfort or ease or peace of mind no matter what I do unless I use lorazepam. I want to learn how I can achieve that without having to use them. My anxiety and depression and fear are there the moment I wake up in the morning.

I do know they have changed my brain somehow. How I don't know.

I hope to learn about others who have been on them(ativan) for a long time and can't function without them have started the process of tapering down and being able to actually do it.

I do have one question I can think of right now, is there any one who found switching to a different benzodiazepine to start tapering off for good was easier than lorazepam?

Thanks. Happy to be here.

Hello BlueSong1 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  I am sorry that you were given these drugs at such a young age.  It’s  common for many of us to feel the way you are feeling after being on this type of medication long term.  Benzodiazepine withdrawal  symptoms will generally resolve,  once you safely taper and  start to recover,  it does get better eventually.  You can do this!  be patient, stay positive, you will get plenty of support and encouragement here.  Check out the forum, please post questions to any of the dedicated boards 

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Its okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.  I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

Ativan Tapering Support Thread

We do have  dedicated boards dealing with Anxiety and Depression issues, you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

Depression       

You might like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi BlueSong,

I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Your story spoke to me.  I believe you can taper off Ativan, your brain will repair itself and you'll discover new strategies for your anxiety.

Although I am much older than you, I was prescribed Ativan off and on for several years, eventually needing a total of 6mg a day to cope with my anxiety related symptoms. 

I joined BBs 10 months ago and learned from other members how to taper as slowly as needed for my brain to adapt.  It hasn't always been easy but I feel like I'm making progress.  For me the best method has been a daily liquid micro taper (DLMT). I started out by "cutting and holding" but when my symptoms became difficult I switched to DLMT and things have smoothed out.  I have accepted that I will likely be tapering for a couple of years or more.

You are here, that is such an important first step.  Take your time, listen to your body and take good care of yourself.  I look forward to seeing your progress and successes.  Also, I am certain you will find support here with any challenges you find along the way.

Hugs and best wishes,

Luey