Introduction

[Pu...]

Hi I am new here..if been on valium for over 30 years. In june I started tappering myself. No doctor would help me until I begged my new pcp. Everyone wanted me to detox. But I went from 20mg of valium and I am at 1mg of valium for another 3 weeks. I did cold turkey once and never again. I am feeling a little anxiety but hardly nothing. I am afraid when I stop all the way that I will go through withdrawal so bad. So I am seeking a support group. Thank you.

Hi Purpleroses.

‘Just a little anxiety’.  This is not what we usually hear when someone joins, so I think that’s a strong indication you have this under control. You may read some upsetting posts here from others who are having a tough time, please don’t think that’s going to be your outcome, too.  The majority of people do get off benzodiazepines relatively easily, as you are.

I was a 31 year prescription user and did well enough tapering myself until I tried to stop too soon because I didn’t know better. Otherwise I think it would’ve been smooth sailing all the way through. 

General Taper Plans   

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care, you’ve got this!

Challis  :smitten:

Hi I am new here..if been on valium for over 30 years. In june I started tappering myself. No doctor would help me until I begged my new pcp. Everyone wanted me to detox. But I went from 20mg of valium and I am at 1mg of valium for another 3 weeks. I did cold turkey once and never again. I am feeling a little anxiety but hardly nothing. I am afraid when I stop all the way that I will go through withdrawal so bad. So I am seeking a support group. Thank you.

Hi

I think you’re doing great! A big congrats to you. I also did a cold turkey and that was a mistake. But you tapered all that Valium and are now down to just 1 mg. I tapered from a high dose of benzos. My pdoc said if I didn’t get bad withdrawal during my taper, then it won’t be bad post taper. I did have some issues with a few things, but nothing earth shattering and they seemed to have gone away.

What I did at your low dose was drop it by .25 mg each time. Please don’t be in any rush. If you have to wait a month or two before another drop than imo do so. I jumped at .25 mg. Some go even lower but I was doing cut and hold so I could barely see the pill. Just think of the prize: no longer being a slave to these pills. I think you will do  well. You have very few problems now. Everyone is scared so you’re no alone. It’s that anticipatory anxiety that can get to us. It’s just a benzo lie. You have control over this. Bust that lie! :smitten: :smitten: :thumbsup: