If you are taking ranitidine beware!

[Ka...]

Hi all, I just wanted to share the news that you might already have heard but I just heard about today and I am feeling pretty upset about the whole thing. It turns out that recent lab tests have shown that ranitidine contains an ingredient that is capable of causing Cancer, specifically abdominal cancer, so the drug is being recalled in a lot of countries all over the world. In the United States as far as I understand it's still pending the FDA decision, but the ingredient contained in the medication was used universally, so it's just a matter of time before it's recalled all over.

So the great news, the only two medications that I ever took clonazepam and ranitidine, one has gotten me really messed up, going on 18 months now since jump, and the other one that I haven't been able to drop yet because of the benzo belly and that I haven't even worried about, turns out to be cancerogenic((((( Never ever in my life will I take another drug!!! I'm so mad at all these drug companies right now..Oh and the doctor I was listening to today said that it's safe to switch to famotidine or any proton pump inhibitor if you are currently on ranitidine, i'm thinking about just dropping it all together though and never attempting to take another drug in my life..

I totally understand you, being in my situation where gastritis has been a major issue, I am now stuck taking dexlansoprazole 40 mg..I tapered it down from 60 mg (being that one my highest dose) and I was planning to switch it to an h2 blocker soon. I am stuck and don’t know what to do either. I think I’ll give famotidine a try when I’m ready, but for now I’ll stick to this horrible PPI .

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but even broccoli contains at least one carcinogen.  WiFi and cell phones are another risk factor, but I think the fear of them can be as bad as the thing itself since stress is also a risk factor.  Avoid what you can and don't stress about the rest.  Quality of life is important, too. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2001/sep/06/medicalscience.healthandwellbeing

• 3 weeks later...

I take Ranitidine and still do.  They said that the cancer causing ingredient is also in some foods too which they have failed to list what those are.  From what I read, it was only one manufacturing brand of ranitidine they listed as having contained it and the batches I have gotten do not come from that company.  My pharmacy is still dispensing my refills of ranitidine and I'm still taking it.  How do they know that it causes cancer?  What tests proved it?  If it's so bad, why aren't they telling us what foods not to eat that also has it?  I'm still willing to risk it and so is my brother who takes it unless they can give me better information.  My GI doctor went ahead and sent me a script for Fomotodine but I am so sensitive to many medications since going through benzo withdrawal that I'm not ready to switch to something else when I seem to tolerate Ranitidine okay.