Xanax and afraid.

[La...]

I’m going to bed tonight, not knowing tomorrow.  I’m afraid.  And I’m tired.  This long term dedication to tapering is hard.  And doc is no help.  I am not going to survive a year-long, protracted taper.  I guess if I die,from being out in the woods, with no support, then so be it.  Too much to deal with.  I’m livimg for one thing.....to wake tomorrow to feed my dogs.  The dogs are all that’s keeping me alive.  My only grandchild will be here in February.  It would be nice to be here, but I can’t get any SPECIFIC INFORMATION about Xanax, so I guess I’m just going to have to hope that I don’t seizure or stroke out.  May I add that this entire board is for benzos, yet so few know anything about XANAX tapering.  I’m sad, discouraged, and at the end of my rope.

I can’t do this year long taper.  If I don’t post again, is there a way to contact someone to care for my precious dogs?  I’m not talking that horrible “S” word.....I’m tLking about....do I die having a seizure?  I have 2 small dogs who need care, and I have no family.  Will someone care for my babies if I have a seizure?

I do know how bad you feel... there were times I didn’t think I could possibly make it another minute.  I wanted to die at times (something I never felt before) and like you, I didn’t mean I wanted to take my life, I just wanted the misery to stop that badly. I even mused about cryogenics a few times. 

There is no reason to believe you’ll have a seizure, this is a common but unsubstantiated fear.  Seizures are rare, associated with high doses and cold turkey withdrawal. You’re not cold turkeying the Xanax, you’re tapering. You’ll be okay.

I tapered 2mg in 9 months and that was with a 2 month hold. You can do this.  We do know all about Xanax here...probably here more than anywhere else.

Hang in there... you can do this.  Your pups and grandbaby coming need you.  :hug:

Thank you for the reassurance!  I’m trying so hard to be positive!  I made a cut yeasterday, and it was hardly noticeable.  I’m just not good at the investment of time to take things slow.  I know that’s the safe way to do it, and I will follow recommendations.  I really appreciate everyone putting up with my whining.  Forging on....and I DID wake up today with renewed determination, and my precious dogs!  My boys mean the world to me!  🌹

I’m so glad to hear you’re not only feeling a little better but made a cut without much to-do. If you go 3-5 days without amped symptoms I’d give it another small cut, stay ahead of your doctor’s schedule so if you need to you can hold.

:thumbsup:

Maybe you want to upload a picture of the doggies for your avatar.

Challis99-

I would love to show off my boys, but I haven’t figure do out how to do that!  I tried “attachments”, but that didn’t work!  Will keep working on that!  They are my angels!  💖💕

Challis99-

That is my Chihuahua, BONZAI!  His brother is a min-Pin named MAX!  These are the last 2 of 128 dogs my husband and I rescued and adopted.  We were never affiliated with “organizations”, but there are so many sweet babies who need homes, we just pinched pennies to be able to provide homes for the doggies!  It’s been exactly 20 years, and 128 dogs lives were made better because we both love dogs.  Sadly, since losing my husband, I can’t continue to rescue.  But my boys, Bonzai and Max, they are my joy!  I love all animals, but I have always had a way with dogs.  Thanks for your interest in my tiny angels.  They make me happy to wake each day!  🌹

Challis99-

He has delusions of grandeur!  He’s 6 pounds.....and his best (doggy) friend was my beloved white Pit Bull!  We lost her 2 years ago, and he still misses her.  My Min-Pin Max is a goof, and the boys just tolerate each other!  Those of us who love our critters.....we know real love!

I share my life with one rescue cat, Jackie Bear. A 3 year old, 15 lb hunk of a cat and just beautiful to me. Lately I have gotten a tiny bit concerned as he is putting weight on and he does NOT need to be fat. I forsee cutbacks in the treats department!

Ladylake, you just keep on going. Your soul shines through your words. Someone who loves her pets as you do will do just fine.

We "pet people" seem a bit better at balancing stuff, but I don't know why. Maybe because our pets get our minds OFF ourselves and our troubles???

east

eastcoast2-

Pets help “ground” people!  Unconditional love and all!  I’m sure you know the instant drop in blood pressure and stress when you have your kitty with you.  I feel that.  There are times that I just need to sit down with my boys, and let them distract me from all the things in my head that’s REALLY DONT matter!  And the dogs always succeed.  Perhaps benzos aren’t the answer to anxiety....maybe it’s time we prescribed pets!  And time alone in nature!  💖💕

[53...]

Your pups are adorable and thank you for rescuing so many needy dogs. That's wonderful. I too volunteered in rescue for 30 years. I was president of a rescue group and the stress of this work is extreme. But so rewarding when a life is saved and good homes are found. Our pets love us unconditionally. Please hang on Lady, your babies need you and I'm sure many humans need you, too. It might feel like you won't make it through this horrible hell, but you will. One day at a time.

Dez

So, I can only speak from my only experience. I personally feel that there are two options for Xanax. You can do a fast taper and then suffer and sweat it out. By fast I mean tapering to zero in about 90 days or so. This is to avoid seizure. OR you can cross over to something else. I think the reason that you don’t find much info about Xanax is because there is not much to say. You can’t taper Xanax. That is why no one has much info about tapering it. Most of us who tried failed. I had to cross over to Ativan and taper from that. Xanax just wouldn’t let me go. Xanax packs too much of a punch when you take your dose and it’s effects wear off too quickly. Xanax interdose withdrawals are second to none. It’s a constant hour by hour slam to your CNS with every dose. This is why I THINK you do not see a lot of info about slow tapering Xanax without debilitating symptoms. Because it can not be done! This is my opinion based on my horrific experience with this drug. I am 10 months off now and almost healed. The Xanax taper almost killed me. Literally.

Jack37-

I would be overjoyed if my doc would do a crossover, it when we discussed the taper and I asked about crossing over, he ADAMANTLY refused to switch me to any other benzo.  I’m left with no choice but tapering directly off Xanax.  I’m in such a remote area, looking for a new, more cooperative doc would involve a drive of 3 hours or more.  So, I am going to taper directly off Xanax....and I WILL be successful.  Any other option is nonexistent.  😊

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if it's just me, or if my liver just works at a very slow pace. However I take 1MG of xanax every morning. By the time I take my next dose in 24 hours, I get slight morning anxiety.

I'll know more after my doc appt to jump into this hell of WD, but my first taper attempt was 25% and while I had a lot of sx, I'd say my two worst symptoms were panic attacks and horrible sleep with vidid nightmares.

If my doc thinks it's appropriate to reduce by 1/8 of my dose, maybe I'll tolerate that better. He doesn't know i tried to taper on my own so I'm sure I'm due for a scolding.

How is your taper going ladylake?