First post, tapering Klonopin but considering Valium substitute

[ha...]

Hi,

I'm posting this to the General Taper board since that's where I started and may end up.

My main fork in the road at this point is whether to cross over to Valium, and when. I'll be seeing my doctor in a couple weeks but want to email him soon with the Ashton manual and my question about Valium. I thought about possibly crossing over when I reach 0.75mg K (mid-November) or 0.5mg K (New Year's).

If the main issue with Valium is drowsiness, I believe that's something I can handle. I tend to be alert in general and I have prior experience with Valium. If the main issue is smaller pill size, I don't mind doing a liquid taper and tapering out the Klonopin all the way to the end, but it would be nice to not deal with liquid anymore.

Edit: if I don't get back to replies for a couple days it's because I'm working or just enjoying not being online (so thankful I realized that minimizing time online is a tool for managing my anxiety)

The doctor that originally put me on Valium and then Klonopin is someone that I still can see but is a bit of a drive. My current prescribing doctor is supportive and understanding, even though he allowed me to updose without warning me.

Like many, I feel anxious when I read about withdrawal symptoms and I feel frustrated when I think about how dangerous these drugs are, and I'm going to counseling and limiting my time online to deal with this. My main symptoms have been paranoia, some sleeplessness that's manageable if I'm coping well emotionally, and heart flutters. I exercise 3-6x a week and eat well.

My Klonopin taper has looked like this so far: mid-August I went from 1.25mg daily all the way down to 0.5 daily because I didn't know anything, and did that for an entire week. After doing some reading I realized I needed to slow down, and I started back at 1mg and stayed there until the 3rd week of September. Then I started a daily liquid micro taper using whole milk and I subtract 0.05mg Klonopin per day.

Questions:

Valium equivalent to Klonopin is a factor of 20 from what I gather? So I could start at 15 or 16mg Valium if I cross over at 0.75mg K or 10mg Valium if I cross over at 0.5mg K.

If Valium is a smoother taper ride, then I'm all for that. Is this generally true, and something I should consider taking advantage of since my doctor is likely to support my plan?

Substitution plan, Ashton is already at only Valium by my point in my taper, meaning I'm already down to 0.875mg K (looking at her taper schedule 5, stage 11). Do I have to sub out gradually or can I make the switch all at once?

Pill size, Valium comes in 2, 5 or 10mg? Should I bring the Ashton taper to my doctor and figure out how many pills I need of what sort? I can ask for only 2mg pills, but then I'm taking 8 pills a day in the beginning. If 2mg pills are easiest for me to understand and deal with visually, is it ok for me to ask my doctor for an Rx that has me taking 8 smaller pills a day instead of a combination of 5mg ones, etc.?

FYI:

I do have some general anxiety but it's manageable. The situation that caused my other doctor to put me on Valium and then Klonopin is also being managed. This is my first taper attempt and I intend to see it through slowly and carefully and I intend for it to be my last run with benzos! I hope to be finished by the beginning of summer 2020, but I'm willing to be flexible. I don't take any other meds besides some Benadryl from time to time. I am happy with where I'm at in my life and I'm willing to do the work to face this taper. I did drink at times before I started the taper but I've stopped. If I did drink it was one per day a few days a week, and 2 on a few rare days. I have to confess that this Klonopin withdrawal has been a bit of a bumpy ride (been at it for 2 months now) but I have a positive outlook and I just see it as another challenge.

A sincere thank you for the help.

If you are doing pretty well with a slow titration of Klonopin using the liquids, then I would not mess with it just to avoid the hassle of the liquids.  The crossover could cause you more problems and I would only do it if you are truly having difficulties with klonopin withdrawal that you cannot handle.  It sounds like you are doing decently so far with the titration so stick with it, is just my own opinion.  Don't add in more factors unless you are really just struggling with klonopin.  Best wishes to you.

Thanks, do we know what Ashton's stance was on DLMT? Asking because she doesn't mention it in the manual?

I don’t believe it was around when she published her manual. I did a dry daily micro taper myself.