8 Days After Stopping X ~ Feeling Horrible

[Se...]

I stopped alprazolam on 10/10/19.  I tapered from 4mg for more than a year.  I took a morning dose that day of 0.0425mg which was 1/4 of my daily dose of .17mg.  I was just too symptomatic every day to continue.  I’m also on .94mg clonazepam/day DLMT dosing 3 times a day.  That was a failed crossover....but I digress.  Taking scheduled doses of clonazepam doesn’t  help relieve any symptoms.

My doctor said to stop alprazolam but up dose to 1.5mg/day clonazepam.  I didn’t take his advice.  It seemed counterintuitive as I’m planning to taper off clonazepam soon.  It also was too much to up dose ~ 0.5mg clonazepam for .17mg alprazolam?

I didn’t think I would still be so symptomatic after stopping alprazolam.  I have severe nausea, headache, stomach pain, dizziness and zero appetite. The symptoms have increased as more time has passed.  These symptoms aren’t anything new but they are more intense.

Going back to alprazolam isn’t an option.  I was sick before, during and after taper so that’s just not feasible.

I’m guessing this is continuing withdrawal after being on alprazolam for more than 10 years. 

I’m treating with DGL which is a good stomach acid reducer, Tylenol for stomach pain, Gaviscon to help coat my stomach and TRYING to eat nutritious food.  It’s a project since my stomach is so upset.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

💜

edit: added clarification to title

I attempted to jump at .25mg after a 9 month taper from 2mg Xanax, after three days I couldn’t do it. Reinstated, finally jumped successfully at .0625, about triple your dose when you jumped. I’d have thought the K would help, but apparently not.

The most helpful ‘comforters’ for me were a microwave heating pad and chamomile tea.  It sounds like your symptoms are more gastrointestinal.

Maybe start a thread titled ‘stomach /nausea problems’?

I wish I had more help to offer.  :hug:

I’m confused @Challis99.  Are you saying your dose was higher than mine when you jumped?  I’m terrible at math and decimals. My final dose was a 0.0425mg but up until that morning my dose was .17mg daily (below .25mg).  I was sick of being sick.  No amount of alprazolam was helping.  Holds didn’t help and I didn’t want to up dose.  It seemed pointless. I’m not so sure clonazepam isn’t a factor working against me either.  That’s why I want to get to the business of tapering that...soon.  I need to stabilize first.  Hoping that’s in the very near future.

In any event, I appreciate your suggestions for “comforters”.  I’m using a heating pad and trying any nausea meds that I can.  I’ll try the tea too!  Maybe something will help.  I’m hoping for that “something” and of course, time. 

💜

I jumped at a daily dose of .0625mg, I think you’ve jumped at .17mg, which is around three times .0625mg. I know you don’t want to up your K (and I don’t blame you) but it may help with symptoms if you did. Or not, no one knows til they try it. For most who’ve tapered, it takes a larger amount too affect symptoms than we’re willing to take.

When i was nausea it drank ginger ale and alka seltzer. Yhe ginget ale helped alot. I got diet because i dont like the sugar and it revs me upm

I jumped at a daily dose of .0625mg, I think you’ve jumped at .17mg, which is around three times .0625mg. I know you don’t want to up your K (and I don’t blame you) but it may help with symptoms if you did. Or not, no one knows til they try it. For most who’ve tapered, it takes a larger amount too affect symptoms than we’re willing to take.

Thanks again @Challis99.  As the days go on, my symptoms are increasing. More nausea (didn’t think that was possible), hellacious constant headache, dizziness, paresthesia, zero appetite, insomnia, and stomach pain.  I feel like I’m walking sideways on a bouncing rubber floor, can’t focus my eyes, and physically weak.  I’ve tried every medication, prescription or OTC, to manage the symptoms but nothing gives any relief.

I’m guessing it’s full blown withdrawal.  I’m tempted to slightly increase the clonazepam but it’s a crapshoot and may make things worse.  Like I said, I’m not sure clonazepam isn’t playing a role in some of these symptoms.  Increasing the dose scares me because I could become even more symptomatic.  When I take my dose now, there’s no relief of any symptoms.  I’m pretty much taking it to stave off further withdrawal.  It doesn’t help me sleep or function at any sense of normalcy. 

I didn’t want to be “that” person on here, but the suffering is immense.  It’s been progressively worse as the taper went on and now that I’m off alprazolam, I’m worse than ever.

Maybe a few more days and I’ll feel better.

I want to be a success story.  All I have now is hope and that’s dwindling quickly. 

I just wish I knew what to do without any regret.

💜

When i was nausea it drank ginger ale and alka seltzer. Yhe ginget ale helped alot. I got diet because i dont like the sugar and it revs me upm

Thanks for the advice!  I have ginger ale but not the Alka Seltzer.  I’ll try it.  I’ll try anything at this point!

Sugar revs me up too.  Carbs jump my sugar up into the high 200’s...and I’m not diabetic. 

I hope I get some relief!

💜

The best thing you can do for yourself is to recognize that withdrawal can go on for a very long time after you get off all benzos. Personally, I've been off for 5 months, but I've been periodically using a tiny bit. I'm done with that now, but I also realize it's not going to go away quickly. For sleep, I've found trazadone and melatonin helpful, and gabapentin and magnesium helps a little with the anxiety. Also recognize that the real battle will begin after you are off all benzos. If you are still taking klonopin, you are still taking benzos. Good luck.

I just noticed in your medications that you are taking celexa. I found that made my withdrawals worse....see the benzodiazapine withdrawal syndrome wikipedia page, where it says that SSRI antidepressants have little effect on the symptoms....now everyone is different, so maybe you also are suffering from depression and they may indeed be of help to you....just be aware of that.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to recognize that withdrawal can go on for a very long time after you get off all benzos. Personally, I've been off for 5 months, but I've been periodically using a tiny bit. I'm done with that now, but I also realize it's not going to go away quickly. For sleep, I've found trazadone and melatonin helpful, and gabapentin and magnesium helps a little with the anxiety. Also recognize that the real battle will begin after you are off all benzos. If you are still taking klonopin, you are still taking benzos. Good luck.

Yes. I’m still on .94mg clonazepam thanks to a failed crossover and a moron psychiatrist who couldn’t calculate benzo equivalencies.

I’m on mirtazapine.  It helped with sleep for awhile. That’s not helping much any more.  Melatonin gives me a headache.  I do have magnesium glycinate I could try again.

Morning anxiety is absurd but not bad during the day unless I have to go somewhere.  Agoraphobia is another one those fun benzo tapering side effects.  I never had that before!

I do realize I could be going through this for awhile.  I just need some glimmers of hope. 

Thanks for the helpful tips. 

💜

What about trying tiny Xanax crumbs? I did that when I quit too soon and it really helped. Just a tiny crumb made a difference.

I’m not sure I could do that.  I really think alprazolam caused a lot of my symptoms.  Now I suppose I’m suffering from withdrawal.

I’m hoping time and maybe some helpful tips from buddies on how to manage nausea will be helpful.

Thanks again Challis.

💜

I just noticed in your medications that you are taking celexa. I found that made my withdrawals worse....see the benzodiazapine withdrawal syndrome wikipedia page, where it says that SSRI antidepressants have little effect on the symptoms....now everyone is different, so maybe you also are suffering from depression and they may indeed be of help to you....just be aware of that.

I’ve been off Celexa since July.  I started mirtazapine in April. That was helping with sleep for awhile but not so much anymore.  I’d like to drop it but my CNS is a mess right now.  Next taper will be clonazepam once I stabilize from the alprazolam taper.

Thanks for the info.

💜

I have one more suggestion...CBD oil? I ran across a post by NJStrength on the CBD thread that said it worked for her nausea: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165140.msg2941872#msg2941872

I tried it.  I blamed more nausea on it so I stopped.  I have two reputable brands...one with trace THC and the other without. 

I could try it again.

Food for thought.

Thanks Challis.

💜

Cancer patients need the THC for nausea, so if you’re going to try again I’d try the one with THC and hope trace is enough. I’d prefer CBD with .3% THC, which is the limit for widely available CBD oil. In legal states you can get a little higher % but it has to be from a dispensary.

Be aware though that THC can increase anxiety (it does in me). I found the best thing for nausea for me has been just to eat something...

This is going to take you time. Though after time be aware it will get better, slowly. This wont' really happen until you have tapered down completely and are off for a while, and it will be very slow going. For agaraphobia, the best thing you can do is force yourself to get out and about in social environments....maybe an actual support group....

Be aware though that THC can increase anxiety (it does in me). I found the best thing for nausea for me has been just to eat something...

I did find the THC one too stimulating.  That was at the beginning of my taper.

I try to eat...it’s very difficult some days.  I do force myself to eat three times a day and maybe a snack. 

Baby steps.

💜

This is going to take you time. Though after time be aware it will get better, slowly. This wont' really happen until you have tapered down completely and are off for a while, and it will be very slow going. For agaraphobia, the best thing you can do is force yourself to get out and about in social environments....maybe an actual support group....

I was walking at least a mile every day but then the nausea and dizziness became too debilitating to go outside.  I was afraid of falling.

I’m hoping it lets up soon.  I did like walking and took photos of nature along the way.  That was a great distraction!

I don’t drive very often because of the dizziness.  I do see a psychologist and she’s been very helpful with my goal setting. 

It’s a slow process.  I understand that. I also know the benzos play a huge role in my fears and anxiety.

I’ll get there. 

:thumbsup:

Hang in there Sept. girl. It amazes me how powerful these drugs are. They have such a profound impact on the brain, even minuscule amounts. I know you are suffering terribly. I have been there myself. Try to hang in there and come here often for support.