Ativan Journey to Hell

[Ne...]

I was prescribed Ativan in my mid-forties by my therapist, who thought I was too anxious, when all along I was just high-energy and high-strung.  I was robust and healthy, otherwise, and didn't really need it. I only used it intermittently, on an as-needed basis, like when undergoing a medical procedure or an MRI (I'm claustrophobic), going to the dentist, or for long car trips.  Although I was prescribed the lowest dosage (0.25), I usually took only half that amount, since I have a sensitive nervous system. I've taken it for 22 years and never had a problem starting and stopping it, although I started experiencing overwhelming, unexplained fatigue after 13 years of use.  I have gone to so many doctors--conventional and natureopathic--none of whom believed the cause was the Ativan.  They said such an infrequent, low dosage couldn't possibly cause that.  It was only when I turned to the Internet and researched Ativan that I discovered the truth. I took my last Ativan 14 months ago with no profound withdrawal symptoms. Yet over the last several months, I’ve been overwhelmed with crushing fatigue and weakness, imbalance and walking difficulty, stiff neck and migraines, GI disorders (stomach pain, gas and bloating), brain zaps, vivid nightmares, hot and cold flushes, and tremors and shakiness.  My neurologist wants to test me for MS or Parkinson's, but I've been told that benzo withdrawal can mimic these conditions.  I live in fear that I will never heal.

Hi New York Girl.

No one really knows how benzodiazepine use will affect someone long term, and if other causes for your symptoms have been checked and dismissed, this is where I’d look for answers, too.  As to never healing, I used prescription benzodiazepines for 31 years on and off and am doing fine now, if that’s any reassurance.

Here’s a good place to post: Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so if you’d like, here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care,

Challis  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is a comprehensive and highly regarded free online resource about benzodiazepine use, withdrawal and recovery. If you’re not familiar with it we recommend having a look.

Hi, Challis, I meant to ask you if there are others who also only took a benzo as needed and still had horrific side effects? I don't seem to fit the normal pattern or model--those who cold turkey or come off a high dosage, or those that need to taper.  Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, Post Withdrawal is where to post if you’re off Ativan yet having symptoms still. There are others here who are having similar issues after intermittent use. This is another new member with a similar set of problems: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=231022.msg2965104#msg2965104. You may want to post on the same thread and chat with her.

Challis