taper of of 0.15 xanax

[pa...]

Hello, I would like to know how to taper of off 0.15 Xanax my doctor issued me 0.25 and told me to break it in half . This I did and it did nothing for me now I am feeling that I want to take more and a up the amount. this I do not want to do. I know what will happen to me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pa...]

• [Ch...]

• [Pa...]

• [Os...]

An addition to my last post . I spent 30 years in the Military and when in there I had PTSD and was prescribed every benzo under the sun and went out cold turkey after many years I am still feeling the results the VA was no held to me. I know 0.15 of Xanax is a small amount but I now you just cant quit, that is why I am seeking information on how to withdraw and taper off of it. Thank you all

Bob (pallo) pallo was my service dog G.S.

Hi Bob,

I completely understand that .15mg is too much for some of us. I tapered to .0625mg before I jumped, but had tried to stop at .25mg, which was horrific.

I would cut the .25mg in half as you’re doing, which equals .125mg.  Once you feel ready, I would then cut that dose in half, which is .0625mg. After 5-7 days you may be ready to quit completely. If not you can try another split, but you may be okay jumping at .0625mg.

Hope that helps.  :)

Hello, I would like to know how to taper of off 0.15 Xanax my doctor issued me 0.25 and told me to break it in half . This I did and it did nothing for me now I am feeling that I want to take more and a up the amount. this I do not want to do. I know what will happen to me.

You still want to taper down to .0625. I would get a Gemini Scale off Amazon ($20) and use an emery board to shave off just a little bit each day. Most Xanax weigh about 150mgs. Your dose sounds like it is .125 (half of a .25 pill) So split a pill and shave the larger side down to 75mg (or half of the total pill weight). Then: 75 x .85 = 63.75 so after thirty days you will have dropped 15%. Then you do the math again for another month 63.75 x .85 =  54.18.

Now to calculate the daily drop...

75 x .85. = 63.75

75 - 63.75 = 11.25

11.25 / 30 = .375mg per day drop.

These drops will be too minut for a Gemini 20 as it's limit is 1mg. But you could use the above formula and just drop aprox 1mg every three days. After 30 days you should re do the math because you want to drop 15% of your dose per month (This falls in about the middle between a fast and a slow taper, call it a medium pace taper if you will). But the next month you may only drop 1mg every four days until you reach 37.5mg (or a quarter of your .25 pill weight) which would equal .0625mg

You still want to taper down to .0625. I would get a Gemini Scale off Amazon ($20) and use an emery board to shave off just a little bit each day. Most Xanax weigh about 150mgs. Your dose sounds like it is .125 (half of a .25 pill) So split a pill and shave the larger side down to 75mg (or half of the total pill weight). Then: 75 x .85 = 63.75 so after thirty days you will have dropped 15%. Then you do the math again for another month 63.75 x .85 =  54.18.

75 x .85. = 63.75

75 - 63.75 = 11.25

These drops will be too minut for a Gemini 20 as it's limit is 1mg. But you could use the above formula and just drop aprox 1mg every three days. After 30 days you should re do the math because you want to drop 15% of your dose per month (This falls in about the middle between a fast and a slow taper, call it a medium pace taper if you will). But the next month you may only drop 1mg every four days until you reach 37.5mg (or a quarter of your .25 pill weight) which would equal .0625mg

Aside from being way too fast (and prescriptively offered),  these instructions don’t relate to pallo’s situation.  ???

Thank you all for the advice, right now I am following Callis99 Initial advice I am 7 days into .125 mg and don't feel I am ready to drop down when I get up in the morning I feel fairly normal a few hours later I feel the effects coming on so I take the .125 and feel light headed ,uncoordinated and so on until about four in the afternoon. How long should I stay on this .125mg before I taper down  Thanks Bob

Message is for callis99, how long should I stay on .125 before I down grade to the next lower dose .0625 Thanks BOB

Hi Bob,

I always held til any new or increased symptoms settled back down before I cut again. I never waited to feel ‘good’, because I never did feel good during my taper. That comes later.

Challis

Usually it was around days 5-7 when things settled a bit.  I never held longer than two weeks except during the holidays when I held for two months because it was a stressful time.

Thanks for the reply back, a little of my background to explain my symptoms. I have been through two conflicts while in the service 10 years active 20 in the reserve Korea, and Vietnam, after discharge I was read with PDSD. and loaded up on all kinds of meds. I then became a Police Officer here in New Jersey ( Lots of stress ) and after retiring from the PD went to work for DHS ( Department of Home Land Security ) FEMA I worked over 76 disasters through out the US and spent time at Ground "0" 9-11  I have been with FEMA for 30 years and was involved in a bad auto accident which almost cost me my life, 9 pints of plasma and 6 pints of blood later I came around .that's when the Doctor prescribed me the Xanax. IT wasn't much but was enough to get me hooked again. Thank you for your help God Bless for what you do. 

Thank you for all your valuable service, Bob.  I’m honored to be able to offer a tiny bit of help in return .  :smitten:

You asked via PM about taking GABA supplements.  This is what I’ve read about GABA supplements and benzodiazepine withdrawal. It will be the simple version, which is all I feel ‘smart’ enough to pass on to you. It is fairly complicated.

We don’t lack GABA in our central nervous systems, we lack the ability to utilize the GABA. So taking GABA won’t help, the receptors that GABA binds to are changed by benzodiazepines and need time to heal.

How much time is the $64,000 question.  Everyone follows a different recovery path, both in symptoms and length of time.

What helps the receptors heal?  The receptors heal on their own over time and absence of benzodiazepines and alcohol. Alcohol seems to cause changes the receptors the same way on the same receptors sites as benzodiazepines, so avoiding alcohol is important.

This community is always searching for ways to heal faster and less symptomatically.  You’ll read hotly debated do’s and don’ts here. Take it all in, try what you feel comfortable with.  Heating pads and chamomile tea helped with some of my symptoms, CBD oil may have helped with overall length of healing, I can’t say for sure.

You can also ask in Supplements about GABA.  But unless you have low levels of GABA I don’t see how it would help.

Thanks for the reply again, another question, I am still on 0.125 and holding ,still have lots of symptoms, I am doing one pill a day, is this right ? And when should I take the pill morning or night time? I checked the supplement's section, That's out.

Hi pallo,

Just to let you know that Challis contacted me to let you know that she is without Internet access. She will reply as soon as she can, but it likely will be a few days. In the meantime, I am sure other members will help support you.

Good luck.

Thanks Colin, maybe you could answer my question if you will. I would like to know should I take my taper of 0.125 Xanax in the morning or night I take one pill a day of 0.125 I am tapering down. I have been taking it in the AM but three hours later I feel like crap all the symptoms hit me. I also take other meds. in the AM with the Xanax there is no drug interaction. If you could help fine. If not I will wait for Challis99 Thanks for sending me the message....Bob

Hi pallo,

Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer, except to say, take when you feel they most need. If you taking your dose just once per day, and you feel OK first thing, perhaps it would best to wait until later if that is when you most feel the need.

Try not to worry about this. It is to be expected that you will experience symptoms during withdrawal. Obviously though, if they become too much for you, you would go and see your doctor.

How was your Xanax prescribed? What for?

my doctor prescribed me 0.25 before having a operation and told me to only take 1/2 of that pill after 22 CD brain scans later I am still on the Xanax I asked the Doc I would like to get off because I had a bad experience in the past while in the service with these Benzos. He advised to just stop taking the pill which did not work. So here I am again Thanks Bob

75 x .85. = 63.75

75 - 63.75 = 11.25

Aside from being way too fast (and prescriptively offered),  these instructions don’t relate to pallo’s situation.  ???

Too fast and doesn't relate? Umm the taper formula I offered would have taken him down slowly over months as to avoid any withdrawal symptoms. Your advice was to do a 50% drop and see how it goes? 😦

Your advice is poor and your taper rate recommendation is WAY too fast!

Morning and night half in the morning and half at night. I stopped taking the night about 10 days ago only taking 0.125 at 6 in the morning about 4 in the morning I feel all the symptoms, cant sleep, headache in back of head, anxiety, unsteady gate and so on. I take the 0.125 and it helps somewhat. I have to get better I cant lose my job.

Also thank you Osu2001 for your input if you could be more helpful and explain a little more that I could understand it would be helpful, what do you advise on tapering from 0.125 taking once a day in the morning. Thanks all for your help 

Morning and night half in the morning and half at night. I stopped taking the night about 10 days ago only taking 0.125 at 6 in the morning about 4 in the morning I feel all the symptoms, cant sleep, headache in back of head, anxiety, unsteady gate and so on. I take the 0.125 and it helps somewhat. I have to get better I cant lose my job.

also thank you Osu2001 for your input if you could be more helpful and explain a little more that I could understand it would be helpful what do you advise on tapering from 0.125 taking once a day in the morning. Thanks all for your help

You need to take the .125 until you stabilize. The half-life of Xanax is only 11hrs so you might benefit from breaking up your dose to two times a day once  you feel better.

Do whatever you feel is best until you feel stable then read this closely and it should make sense.

75 x .85. = 63.75

75 - 63.75 = 11.25

75 x .85. = 63.75

75 - 63.75 = 11.25

Too fast and doesn't relate? Umm the taper formula I offered would have taken him down slowly over months as to avoid any withdrawal symptoms. Your advice was to do a 50% drop and see how it goes? 😦

Your advice is poor and your taper rate recommendation is WAY too fast!

He’s only taking .125mg.