Tapering Low Dose Klonopin - am/pm dose management?

[He...]

Hello! I have been on Ativan then was switched to Klonopin since March 2018. Up and down per docs. Put on 1.5 mg Klonopin (.5 three times daily) in August 2018 and have been trying to get off since October of that year because it made me feel worse.  I have been very slowly tapering using a compounding pharmacy to make the capsules.  I am proud to say I am now at .4mg daily (.2mg am/.2mg pm). I am stuck on how to move forward meaning, should I end the morning dose first and then the evening? I really am frightened and grateful that I can put this out there.  My doc is VERY receptive to how I want to move forward and I am grateful for that too.  It's hard to find people who are open about this horrible horrible med to learn about others' experiences.  I know everyone is different, but I need to reach out to people who have done this, not a doc who doesn't have the depth of experience people who have suffered through this do.  Thank you for considering.

I haven’t taken a long-acting benzodiazepine, so take that into consideration when you read this. 

When I tapered, I dropped the least-needed doses first. With most people, the evening dose is the most needed to help with whatever sleep they’re getting. Some people drop the evening dose first if they have rough mornings.  It’s just how you react.

Congrats, you’ve done great!

:smitten:

Hello! I have been on Ativan then was switched to Klonopin since March 2018. Up and down per docs. Put on 1.5 mg Klonopin (.5 three times daily) in August 2018 and have been trying to get off since October of that year because it made me feel worse.  I have been very slowly tapering using a compounding pharmacy to make the capsules.  I am proud to say I am now at .4mg daily (.2mg am/.2mg pm). I am stuck on how to move forward meaning, should I end the morning dose first and then the evening? I really am frightened and grateful that I can put this out there.  My doc is VERY receptive to how I want to move forward and I am grateful for that too.  It's hard to find people who are open about this horrible horrible med to learn about others' experiences.  I know everyone is different, but I need to reach out to people who have done this, not a doc who doesn't have the depth of experience people who have suffered through this do.  Thank you for considering.

That certainly is great news. You should be proud for getting so low. I was on the evil K too and normally one tends to keep the night time dose for sleep 💤. That wasn’t my case as the klonopin started to give me insomnia. If you’re happy with your compounding pharmacy then that’s the way to go.

I didn’t care for them as my insurance wouldn’t cover them plus the FDA at the time was finding things like sawdust as fillers and antidepressants in the place of the drug. I’m sure that issue has been resolved.

Oh, if you decide to stick with cut and hold yes please imo what challis99 said is correct. She’s an admin of course.....sooo, if the night dose is more important, then...... :)

Just one quick word. Are you planning on stopping one of your doses at .2mgs? Or are you going to taper down further from  there? It’s unclear from my reading of your post. Sounds like you have done this smart (smarter than me for sure) so far, but just wanted to check.

Hi and thanks so much for helping me! Currently I am on .2mg 8am and .2 mg 8pm for a total of .4mg daily.  For my next decrease, I am not sure if I should continue with the same doses am and pm through jumping off, meaning, every two weeks 10% reduction of the total dose and do 50/50% am/pm until .05mg total daily dose OR if I should look to decrease the morning dose at a faster rate.  I know it is person specific and so far, I am doing okay (you know okay) and I am sleeping "okay." I am NOT stopping any doses yet, just not sure if I should (for example) leave the night dose at .2mg and lower the morning dose by the full 10% until it (I think) .05 THEN do the evening dose by 10% until .05mg.  DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? It all starts to make my head spin a bit.

Hi and thanks so much for helping me! Currently I am on .2mg 8am and .2 mg 8pm for a total of .4mg daily.  For my next decrease, I am not sure if I should continue with the same doses am and pm through jumping off, meaning, every two weeks 10% reduction of the total dose and do 50/50% am/pm until .05mg total daily dose OR if I should look to decrease the morning dose at a faster rate.  I know it is person specific and so far, I am doing okay (you know okay) and I am sleeping "okay." I am NOT stopping any doses yet, just not sure if I should (for example) leave the night dose at .2mg and lower the morning dose by the full 10% until it (I think) .05 THEN do the evening dose by 10% until .05mg.  DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? It all starts to make my head spin a bit.

Hi

Many of us reads a lot of posts every day. So sometimes we forget. Which is why the team suggests you write an profile of your medication history. This includes past use and other medications as well as supplements. Thanks 😊 but there is no rule so if you don’t want to do it that’s okay. I just really don’t follow posts very much with no signature.

Hello! I am also using a compounding pharmacy to taper off of Klonopin.  I'm curious about your experience.  I asked my PCP to cross over to valium and she was not receptive.  I had a hard time with the last cut and now she is suggesting 10% for 28 days!  Would you mind sharing your taper schedule with the capsules?  What is the taper rate and how often?

LucyLou

Hello! I am also using a compounding pharmacy to taper off of Klonopin.  I'm curious about your experience.  I asked my PCP to cross over to valium and she was not receptive.  I had a hard time with the last cut and now she is suggesting 10% for 28 days!  Would you mind sharing your taper schedule with the capsules?  What is the taper rate and how often?

LucyLou

Please who are you asking?

LucyLou

Please who are you asking?

Hello, LucyLou and Benzogirl!

Just in case you don’t already know this, member nolongeranxiousbut used compounded clonazepam capsules to taper.  She recently shared her story at:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=230602.msg2960260#msg2960260

She occasionally stops by the support group for Klonopin/clonazepam to support other members, so you might catch her there.  Here’s a link to the most recent post:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=163449.msg2969090#msg2969090

I hope this helps.  Libertas