Acamprasate (Campral) - the methadone of Benzos?

[50...]

I found out about Acamprasate today. It's given to ease alcohol withdrawal. I read it's pharmakineticks and apparently it supresses glutamate while simulating Gaba receptors without binding to them like benzos. I did a search on bb and nothing. Can someone look into this? I got a prescription but no pharmacy can get it.

I don’t remember seeing this drug discussed here.  Did you ask why pharmacies don’t fill it?

Wikipedia has this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acamprosate

Excerpt:

Adverse effects[edit]

The US label carries warnings about increases of suicidal behavior, major depressive disorder, and kidney failure.[1]

Adverse effects that caused people to stop taking the drug in clinical trials included diarrhea, nausea, depression, and anxiety.[1]

Other frequent adverse effects include headache, stomach pain, back pain, muscle pain, joint pain, chest pain, infections, flu-like symptoms, chills, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, fainting, vomiting, upset stomach, constipation, increased appetite, weight gain, edema, sleepiness, decreased sex drive, impotence, forgetfulness, abnormal thinking, abnormal vision, distorted sense of taste, tremors, runny nose, coughing, difficulty breathing, sore throat, bronchitis, and rashes.[1]

CVS, Walgreens and Walmart sell it in the Cleveland area. Online it said it used for alcohol withdrawal. But given though side effects I personally would take a pass.