Can my PPC cut me off?

[Pi...]

I recently moved to Fargo and have a terrible experience with Sanford health.

Through a miscommunication my PPC cut my dose without talking with me. I noticed at the end of the month my pills were short and then looked at the label to see that she dropped me down to 16.5mg

It has been rough getting to 20 as most of you know.

I emailed her and she told me I should take my dose as prescribed. No indication that she would refill when I run out.

1. Can she just cut me off completely?

2. What can I do?

Keep in mind that I have a perfect record of taking my meds as prescribed and am not flagged as a shopper or addict.

Prescribers are being pressured to get their patients off addictive prescriptions. If it was me I’d email her again and ask for clarity. Her reply isn’t clear at all and you deserve an answer.

I disagree. Psychiatrists do not necessarily "understand" any more about benzos and tapering than PCPs do. I got more understanding (of the need to taper slowly and essentially manage my own taper) from a Nurse Practitioner. It is the individual, not their title, that determines whether you will find "understanding" of this process. And you won't know if they "understand" until you talk to them about your tapering needs. And if they don't understand, I would go find someone else. I did.

Just my opinion, of course.

:smitten:

Katz

Can they cut you off completely? Yes, they can cut you off completely.

What can you do? You can start looking for another doctor right now AND try to reason with the one you already have.

I believe it’s a state issue. For example in my hometown state of Connecticut if you are leaving your provider for any reason they have to give you a supply long enough to find another one. Now this is not the same think of course but since you moved out of state it might be something similar. And I agree, I have found NPs to be more knowledgeable about benzos than many psychiatrists.

• 2 weeks later...

It all ended up getting taken care of. I just needed to have a face to face and she turned out to be a pretty good doc.

Good to hear. :thumbsup: