Hi

[Br...]

I am currently taking 2 mg Xanax. Started taking 0.5mg when i was 16, next doctor switched the dose to 2mg when i was around 20 or so. Currently I'm trying to switch to Klonopin and I don't know how. I didn't get any advice just got the pills and thats it. I want to ask if I should take steps in switching or just take Klonopin next day

Hello BrightLight,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Would you mind providing us with more information so we can better address your situation?  What is the reason you are changing to klonopin?

Many people do change from a short acting benzo, like xanax, to a longer acting one in order to have a smoother taper off the medication.  Are you interested in tapering off benzos?

While some people advocate for a direct switch, for myself, it was too drastic of a change.  While both are benzos, they do have a different chemical make up.  I did a fairly fast crossover.  I'll give you a link to the Substitution Board where you can post and receive feedback from members.

Once we hear back from you we can better off advise and support. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Substitution Taper Plans   

pianogirl

Don't know if i should reply here. Yes I'm trying to quit completely. The plan from my Doc is to switch me to klonopin, reduce that klonopin then switch to valium. I didn't get much instructions on how to do that except to just do it. I was also suppose to introduce klonopin 2 years ago 0.5 mg along with my 2 mg xanax but i never did so I don't know if that changes anything. Also she first switched me to short acting Xanax from long acting that I was taking until now.

Don't know if i should reply here. Yes I'm trying to quit completely. The plan from my Doc is to switch me to klonopin, reduce that klonopin then switch to valium. I didn't get much instructions on how to do that except to just do it. I was also suppose to introduce klonopin 2 years ago 0.5 mg along with my 2 mg xanax but i never did so I don't know if that changes anything. Also she first switched me to short acting Xanax from long acting that I was taking until now.

I see, thanks for the clarification.  Yes, a longer half life such is the case with valium, can help the reduction be more gentle. It worked for me.

PG  :smitten:

Switching from long-acting to short-acting is a different issue than short-acting to long-acting.  I’d ask here before suddenly switching over:

Substitution Taper Plans   

Long-acting benzodiazepines take around two weeks to fully work. You may have some withdrawal if you try to go suddenly from 2mg Xanax to Klonopin. It’s also important that your doctor prescribe an equivalent dose.

You also may be able to taper directly from the Xanax. I tapered from 2mg without a cross to a long-acting benzodiazepine.

Thank you so much for answering. I will go ask on substitution taper plans. I'm afraid to go into full withdrawal because it happened before about a year after I started taking them because I didn't know that the pills will cause it, and i didn't know I was taking Xanax because it was under brand name and well, I was young and just took what doc told me to take.

Thank you so much for answering. I will go ask on substitution taper plans. I'm afraid to go into full withdrawal because it happened before about a year after I started taking them because I didn't know that the pills will cause it, and i didn't know I was taking Xanax because it was under brand name and well, I was young and just took what doc told me to take.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.  :P