Tai Chi and Exercise Buddies

[Li...]

A group of us older folks are starting an exercise group for those of us dealing with fatigue.  Time to get off our heinies and move stuff around!  We're starting with a slow and gentle pace.  Committing to ten minutes a day.  We'll up it a bit weekly, if our bodies are ready.

I'm going to use Tai Chi and there is this video with a free introductory lesson here, if you're interested:

(the lesson is about ten minutes into the video)

You don't have to use Tai Chi.  Any exercise plan you have is fine.  I like Tai Chi for its slow graceful movements.  Just commit to doing some form of exercise every day that you feel like you are able.

We'll post our progress along the way.  Let's have some fun and get our bodies moving!

Libble

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Fi...]

• [Li...]

• [Do...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Libbie, The one thing I would change is the over 60'.  There are people in their 50's and probably 40's who have suffered muscle weakness, fatigue and atrophy.  It is a tough road back and Tai chi works wonders with a certain group who find these movements so centering and therapeutic...Like us!  Just don't want to exclude anybody.  I am 58...

Dove is right, just name it Tai Chi Exercise Buddies.  Let’s include everyone.

I am starting this in an hour.  Just took my morning walk so ready to go!

Great Libbie, The one thing I would change is the over 60'.  There are people in their 50's and probably 40's who have suffered muscle weakness, fatigue and atrophy.  It is a tough road back and Tai chi works wonders with a certain group who find these movements so centering and therapeutic...Like us!  Just don't want to exclude anybody.  I am 58...

Done!  Thanks!  Good idea!

Okay, we'll let you youngins' come along for the ride.  :)

Libs

I don't know if I can comitt to the Tai Chi yet  but have committed to walking as I can.

No worries!  I added the 'and Exercise' part of the title just for you, angel!  (kidding).  The goal is to start moving again.  Any type of exercise one wants to do is great. 

What I think we might want to do is to check in here at least once a week (more if we want to) and report our progress and vote on where we want to go from there.  Up the time we commit to?  Try a new Tai Chi or other type of teacher video?  Kind of like a book club.  Maybe take turns deciding.  Maybe on Mondays?  A  Monday roll call.  Whatcha all think?

Libs

Dove is right, just name it Tai Chi Exercise Buddies.  Let’s include everyone.

I am starting this in an hour.  Just took my morning walk so ready to go!

Yay!  I have to start today, too.  I was going to wait on Mary, who needed a couple of days, but I feel like hammered poo today so I know that this is EXACTLY the time to get off my very large heinie and get moving.

Libs

Thursday

10 minutes on TM to get my blood moving

15 min of yoga (easy) exercises

Going to make this keep me accountable to move everyday

And going slow, I keep trying to do to much and end up in more pain, Not This Time!!

Mary  :D

I am sticking with 10 minutes as well.  Got past the knee part in the 1-2-3 exercises and calling it a win.  2 days now!

You walk those dogs woman, that's exercise  :laugh:

I ended up doing some power lifting yesterday.  Not on purpose but a little more than 10 minutes of it.  I had to move some heavy stuff.  OH my giddy aunt!  My arms are yelling at me today.  I knew I was out of shape, but sheesh.  I'm an old farmer, for goodness' sakes!  I've moved 50 pound sacks of feed in years past.  Right.  These days, I'm as strong as an old wet tissue.

It was more exercise than I've had in years. 

More today.. and then Tai Chi.  Hell, yeah Tai Chi... a whole lot easier on my body.

Libs

Thursday

10 minutes on TM to get my blood moving

15 min of yoga (easy) exercises

Going to make this keep me accountable to move everyday

And going slow, I keep trying to do to much and end up in more pain, Not This Time!!

Mary  :D

Yay, Mary!  You're here!  I'm glad the eye thingie went well.  I hear ya about doing too much.  I did that yesterday.  Ouchie.

Libs

15 min TM

5 exercises

I just did it cause I promised this group I would, had migraine

So thanks guys!!  You got me off my butt  :D

Mary

I did way more than ten minutes again.  Had to move and mix bags of soil, compost, etc.  And then carry full water jugs back an forth.  I will catch up to you guys later tonight, if I can, or tomorrow for sure.  The timing of this wasn't great what with all the gardening stuff I had to do all of a sudden, but it's done now.  Whew.

Only three days into moving more and I already feel a bit better, in terms of energy.  Thanks, guys!  You are my inspiration.

Libs

17 min on TM

4 Big ball exercises

Loving being committed, 10 minutes gets me up, I just keeps saying 10 minutes and then get going and do more

;D

17 min on TM

4 Big ball exercises

Loving being committed, 10 minutes gets me up, I just keeps saying 10 minutes and then get going and do more

;D

I don't know what big ball exercises is but it sounds like fun.  Yep... the being committed definitely helps.  I feel like I'm cheating on ya'll if I don't get moving.

17 min on TM

4 Big ball exercises

;D

I don't know what big ball exercises is but it sounds like fun.  Yep... the being committed definitely helps.  I feel like I'm cheating on ya'll if I don't get moving.

Me too.  You know those big balls that you roll around with, lol.

17 min on TM

4 Big ball exercises

;D

I can think of several jokes right here.. but I'mma just behave myself.  ;D

17 min on TM

4 Big ball exercises

;D

I can think of several jokes right here.. but I'mma just behave myself.  ;D

Lol, lol  :D