Author Topic: "Benzo-safe" movies to watch during withdrawal -- Now Partially Indexed (Pg. 1)  (Read 25380 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Movies to watch during withdrawal -- this won't last long -- post now
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 06:25:11 am »
The Goonies
All of the Indiana Jones movies
The Mummy and The Mummy Returns with Brendan Frasier
With Honors
The Super
My Cousin Vinny
The Vacation movies with Chevy Chase
The Addams Family and Addams Family Values
The Breakfast Club
Big
Forrest Gump
Dragnet with Dan Akroyd and Tom Hanks - Hilarious!
Starsky and Hutch with Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller
Tommy Boy
Dumb and Dumber
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Harry Potter movies
There's lots more, I will think about it and post more tomorrow, too tired to do more now. :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:31 am »
What a great idea [...]! Here are some I have watched during withdrawal. I'll post mmore later when my brain is functioning better ( it's 4 am right now).

Oh Brother Where Art Thou (a strange but incredibly funny movie)
Liar Liar
Forrest Gump
When Harry met Sally

I find comedies are very healing for me. :)

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
    Best movies Ive seen since I started the withdrawal are Magnolia, Into the Wild and Mullholand Drive. Id avoid the last one though. Disturbing but great. Oh and Heat! How could I forget Heat.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 12:13:43 pm »
Hey James, [...], [...] & D.

Yes, [...], I definitely find that light, warm comedies are the best for me during withdrawal. Smiling is good. Laughter is good. Intense, nail-biting, adrenaline-pumping, edge-of-your-seat thrillers  -- not so good right now.

Thanks all -- keep 'em coming,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »
Hello [...],

My husband and I watched a movie last night. It was a "Date Night" Movie on Demand. It was called "Definitely, Maybe", 2008

Ryan Reynolds, Abigail Breslin

"When Will decides to tell his daughter the story of how he met her mother, he discovers that a second look at the past might also give him a second chance at the future"

We both had a wonderful time watching the movie. Dinner and a Movie at home. Nice!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
Hi Ablie and others. I definitely maybe have enjoyed many of the movies already mentioned :pokey: :laugh:.  Harry Met Sally is one of my all time top ten faves and already mentioned earlier.  I agree that the light comedies are perhaps easier to stomach during withdrawal and especially before bed.   Although I enjoy a fluffy no brain comedy where I don't have to think too much about the plot as much as the next benzo or post benzo brain :D ;D, I found that it helped my cog fog brain during taper to try and watch some movies that had more dialogue which made me use my brain a little more.  Two of my favorite movies in this regard are Before Sunrise (Eathon Hawke and Julie Delpe are fantastic in this one but beware, lots of philosophical conversation about the meaning of life as two young travelers in Europe pursue a spontaneous romance in Vienna) and the sequel which took almost ten years to come out is equally worthwhile, "Before Sunset" which takes place in Paris.  By the way, I also enjoy movies that have a lot of travel and different cultures.  For example, Lost in Translation is one that will make you think of different perspectives.  Also, the material is disturbing at times but Slumdog Millionaire was also a great film based on a different culture but might not recommend during withdrawal if you're very anxious.   I won't list foreign films here but will say that reading subtitles can also get your brain going.  If you're really cerebral, a film that will make you think but may also bore the daylights out of you if you're not into it is "My Dinner with Andre".   I enjoyed it but some people really hate it.   One more fave of mind was "Sideways".   I think that laughter can sometimes be the best medicine especially during the worst of withdrawal.   Sideways was very funny and enjoyable but beware, if you're a wine drinker and currently abstaining, you might not wish to be tempted by this one.  Before Benzos, I watched this movie at home and consumed a bottle of wine by myself while watching it and I'd already seen it twice :tickedoff:  By the way, I thought "I love you Man" was one of the funnier movies I've seen in a while [...].  Great minds think alike!  Speaking of comedy, if you haven't seen the HBO series "Curb your Enthusiasm", thats another one that never fails to put me in stitches.  It's created and acted in by the guy who did Seinfeld, Larry David along with the very funny Wanda Sykes, Ted Danson and other guest appearances including ones from the original Seinfeld cast.  A very unique style in which there are no formal scripts, just outlines of scenes and the actors ad lib much of the dialogue. They are available on Netlfix.  I'd start with season one and go through them.  Not everyone is a Larry David fan but he's tops in my book.  Speaking of great HBO series, I'd also give a thumbs up to "In Treatment" where you can get some vicarious free therapy!  Gabriel Brrne is fantastic. If you're not shy or opposed to material that is a little seedy, my wife and I recently watched the first season of "Hung" on Netflix, another series from HBO.  Some very funny stuff but not for the prudish.  One more, although my wife hates these kind of movies... but what "real man" ;D wouldn't enjoy the Bourne Identity and other Bourne films, but again maybe not if you're really having blurry vision or issues with visual tracking during taper as I did last year!  A lot of chase scenes and action fighting which might stir up the senses so save it for post taper perhaps.  Great thread Alb.

Keep on laughing and thanks [...] for keeping the thread alive :pokey:, probably would have missed it elsewhere :)

[...] (no more)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:41:20 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »
Hey [...] & V,

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I think if we can keep this thread going, we'll have end up compiling a great go-to repository of flicks to check out. And who better than to recommend movies for those in w/d than our fellow BBs?  

Can you imagine going into Blockbuster and asking the young "movie dude" working there for recommendations, with the caveat that, "By the way, I'm currently in a bit of a protracted withdrawal from benzodiazepines, so I've kinda got that whole depersonalization-derealization-hair-trigger anxiety-agitation-insomnia-chills-sweats-myoclonic jerks-spasms-tics-and-internal-vibrations-and-a-bit-of-a-cog-fog thing going on. Ya' know what I'm saying? So, if you could recommend something really good, gripping, interesting and funny that doesn't play on any of those symptoms, that would be good. And I'd prefer a new release. And if you have something like Raisinets and Snow Caps, except without the chocolate and sugar, cause that revs up my symptoms, I'll take that too. Thanks."  Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't even bat an eyelash.  ;)

Anyway, in case there's anybody on the planet not familiar with this movie review site... if you see a movie title that intrigues you, just plug the title into the Search box here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/

It gives, not one review, but an aggregation of critics' reviews for each movie, which is then compiled into a Tomato Rating of 0-100%. You can read most of the individual reviews, get a synopsis of each movie, watch trailers etc. A great site. Fast, easy, excellent overviews and, no, I don't even own stock in the company.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:37:37 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:50 am »

Can you imagine going into Blockbuster and asking the young "movie dude" working there for recommendations, with the caveat that, "By the way, I'm currently in a bit of a protracted withdrawal from benzodiazepines, so I've kinda got that whole depersonalization-derealization-hair-trigger anxiety-agitation-insomnia-chills-sweats-myoclonic jerks-spasms-tics-and-internal-vibrations-and-a-bit-of-a-cog-fog thing going on. Ya' know what I'm saying? So, if you could recommend something really good, gripping, interesting and funny that doesn't play on any of those symptoms, that would be good. And I'd prefer a new release. And if you have something like Raisinets and Snow Caps, except without the chocolate and sugar, cause that revs up my symptoms, I'll take that too. Thanks."  Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't even bat an eyelash.  ;)

oh my gosh....LOL

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:55 pm »
Almost forgot one of my favorite light, touchingly poignant and fun "Benzo-Safe" movies:

Billy Crystal in City Slickers.

The story of three men turning 40 who go on a Montana cattle drive.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 88%

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »
let's see, oh yeah, there is a great movie called
'MEET THE FUCKERS'

scroll down

actually this is bait for [...] and [...]. all an attempt to see if NOW [...] will remove the post. no [...]
you can not blame me for being a lousy speller.
it is my favorite comedy. [...], how did i miss this thread. just when i've been searching
for a list of winter movies which i'm going to need big time.
no wait, it's coming to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh ys, it's called, "Meet The Fockers", yes, good movie.
yours in peace, [...].