Hello

[Sa...]

I have been on Ativan since July and was using 2-4 mg per day  and tapered to 1 mg in August. On September 18th I started tapering off of the 1 mg, reducing by .25 mg each week. My last dose was on October 6th and I have had some panic, tearfulness, lethargy, stomach issues and brain zap feelings. My medical provider didn’t think tapering off 1mg was a very large dose would be very difficult as it is a small dose. I’m concerned that these withdrawal symptoms are lasting so long.

Hello Satya, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on deciding to taper from the Ativan so soon after starting it, I know many of our member wished we'd have done that.  I'm sorry to hear you're suffering with symptoms, this just proves how powerful these drugs are, even for those who only take them for a few months.  We typically suggest tapering a bit slower than you did in order to minimize symptoms but even those who take it slow still suffer. 

It's possible your symptoms may last a little while longer I'm sorry to say, it's quite normal to have them well after getting off the drug, so try not to be too concerned.  We just don't know how long they'll last, each of us are different in that regard, but most people will heal and come out just fine on the other side.

Some might suggest you go back on the drug to stabilize then begin a slower taper after that but I'm not sure that would be the best course but it's totally up to you and your Dr to determine that.  Regardless of what you decide to do, please make yourself at home and ask questions if you have them.

You might benefit from taking a peek at The Ashton Manual, it will explain what you're feeling, and why you don't feel better after ridding yourself of the drug.  It takes awhile to heal from the wreckage it leaves.

Again, welcome.

Pamster