Anyone try low-dose Trazodone for sleep during your taper?

[ra...]

Hello my buddies,

Hope you are all hanging in there.  I know what meds are supposed to do, but I also know that they seldom do what we want them to do.

I did pretty well on a mirtazapine/melatonin combo for sleep for years.  However in this stage of what I hope is my last taper, that cocktail is failing me, and I am really tired from poor sleep.  I was born with insomnia, so sleep is not something I expect to "return" because I never had it (except on benzos)

If any of you have any experience with Trazodone for sleep please let me know.

Thanks.

Ramcon1

I have but not a low dose. I was on 300 mg. It helped a lot with sleep 💤. At first you feel groggy but hang tough that goes away. Most recently it did the opposite and kept me up. I did a rapid withdrawal off it at 25% per week. It was rather easy to taper.

You’ve probably tried this, but I had luck with double-bagging chamomile tea in a little water before bed.  Not much water or you’re up again.  :P

I think 300 mg is for depression.  12-100 max for sleep.  I could see how a high dose might rev up a person with serotonin.

Yep. That’s exactly what happened.

I am on 50 and it helps with sleep. Does have side effects:  makes me fat (I'm jiggly, so water weight), low blood pressure and heart rate.  Most people have to taper off slowly, so be aware of that.

I did not do well with it. I am very                                                                                                                            sensitive to everything.  At just 25 mg, simultaneously the serotonin revved me up and the noradrenaline block gave me unnatural fatigue and low blood pressure.  I also either have a real cold or the benzo flu, so it was a bad time to try it.  Cold feels real.  I slept pretty well without it so I will ride that for a while.

Thanks for all of your replies.

ramcon1

I did not do well with it. I am very                                                                                                                            sensitive to everything.  At just 25 mg, simultaneously the serotonin revved me up and the noradrenaline block gave me unnatural fatigue and low blood pressure.  I also either have a real cold or the benzo flu, so it was a bad time to try it.  Cold feels real.  I slept pretty well without it so I will ride that for a while.

Thanks for all of your replies.

ramcon1

I had those symptoms for about three weeks starting trazodone and then they went away. Of course I was sleeping nothing without it so I kept taking it.

Good to know.  If my sleep goes any further to hell I might give it a second shot and stick with it.  I will see how teh next few nights play out.  Thanks for sharing.

Ramcon1

Been put by my psych on 100 mg trazodone for sleep few days ago. After having massive withdrawal from zyprexa and having to use zolpidem for sleep for 3 consecutive weeks with increasing doses. Trazodone makes me drowsy but not enough to get me to sleep yet - still have to complement with 10 mg zolpidem. But it’s not 30 mg anymore, so progress :D

I was immediately given a prescription for Trazadone when my taper began, and doc CTed me off Ambien.  I tried taking it to sleep on 2 occasions.  Both times I had such horrible sinus congestion that I was unable to breathe, unless through my mouth.  Needless to say, it’s very difficult to sleep when you can’t breathe properly.  The only advice I received from doc when I told him of this side-effect was “rub some Vaseline on your teeth”.  I don’t know if anyone else has this reaction, but I can’t take it at all.

I think I had my "cold" a few days before I tried the trazodone.  I have a flu-like malaise right now.  I slept ok without it for 2 nights, so I am going to clear it and holding every thing and see if the cold/flu/malaise clears also.

I was immediately given a prescription for Trazadone when my taper began, and doc CTed me off Ambien.  I tried taking it to sleep on 2 occasions.  Both times I had such horrible sinus congestion that I was unable to breathe, unless through my mouth.  Needless to say, it’s very difficult to sleep when you can’t breathe properly.  The only advice I received from doc when I told him of this side-effect was “rub some Vaseline on your teeth”.  I don’t know if anyone else has this reaction, but I can’t take it at all.

Yes I had that but I used nose drops and after a couple weeks the side effect went away.