overwhelmed

[wa...]

I've been on benzo meds for 30+ years.

currently on tamazapam 30mg.

I don't even understand how new people coming in are on doses of 2 or5mg.

I was put from the beginning on 30mg,

2 months now on Mirtazapine 15mg that I take at night with tamazapam and still on get knocked out for 2 hours.

I felt that Mirtazapine was really a strong drug....did not know it was a benzo. Now my dr. is getting ready to retire and I am afraid if I tell him about how out of control my anxiety and insomnia are he will cut me off pretty quickly.

I want to tell him about the CNN show but I feel he will be spooked because he can tell I am on the ledge.

Hi wantpeacenow.

Mirtazapine isn’t a benzodiazepine, so you’re okay there. Temazepam is, in my experience, a somewhat lesser evil in the benzodiazepine class of drugs. I took it for 25 years or so, on and off.  30mg sounds like a lot, but usually it’s prescribed initially at 15mg and upped to 30mg if it stops working at that dose.  Try not to be overwhelmed, this is doable. A slow taper should help minimize symptoms.

I would start posting here for taper help: General Taper Plans   

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care, we’re here to help with this.

Challis  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is a comprehensive and highly regarded free online resource about benzodiazepine use, withdrawal and recovery. If you’re not familiar with it we recommend having a look.

I don't know if this helps at all, but Mirtazapine is not a benzodiazepine. It's a completely different class of drug. It's a tricyclic antidepressant, kind of like an early SSRI. At your dose it is also functioning as an antihistamine (though it has other properties) which can help some people get to sleep. So while not being something that is without potential complications or concerns, it is not a benzo, so you are not currently taking two.

Talking to doctors can be very hard. There are people here who can give you advice. The usual starting place is with reading The Ashton Manual, which lays all this out in a very calm and reasonable way that both a layperson and a MD can understand and gain value from. The link to it is:

https://benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

You could, if nothing else, familiar yourself with it so that you can have the knowledge necessary to talk to your doctor about tapering slowly. And perhaps bring a printed copy with you, or if they are the kind of doctor who would do this on their own, email them the link and ask them to look it over. Or both. Other's will have further suggestions.

I did start to read about wd from mirtazapine and it is harsh.

very much like benzo wd.

I am not in any stage of recovery yet other than pouring a little tamazpine out of the capsule each nite.

I know its imprecise, I wont see my dr. for 2-4 weeks.

he's on vacation.

Somewhere on this site I did see people compare mirtazapine to benzo. It is powerfully strong.

The first nite I took it I could hardly walk!

I am in such horrible condition, There is so much more to my story.

Most people find they have better luck tapering the adjunct medications after the benzodiazepine. The mirtazapine might help with the Temazepam withdrawal. 

You might want to post on the taper board for help with cutting back the Temazepam evenly.  A scale would help a lot.  :)

I can look on taper board but yet have nothing to post on that.

I am also taking a heart med. call Tenormin 50 mg. a beta blocker but looking closer it also relieves anxiety.

I can look on taper board but yet have nothing to post on that.

I am also taking a heart med. call Tenormin 50 mg. a beta blocker but looking closer it also relieves anxiety.

My mistake...you didn’t say you wanted to taper the Temazepam and I shouldn’t have assumed. 

No, I do want to taper. I'm just new to this.  It's a lot to take in.

I would like to be off of all this stuff.

Just overwhelmed.

This looks like the hardest thing I will ever do.

And I'm in the worst shape my life has ever been in.

probably not the first to feel this way. Ive read some heartbreaking stories.

I know it's overwhelming, but we can help you make sense of it, we're all either going through it, or have made it to the other side.  :smitten:

No, I do want to taper. I'm just new to this.  It's a lot to take in.

I would like to be off of all this stuff.

Just overwhelmed.

This looks like the hardest thing I will ever do.

And I'm in the worst shape my life has ever been in.

probably not the first to feel this way. Ive read some heartbreaking stories.

If you’re on the edge, and from other info you gave me via PM, this may not be the best time to begin a taper....after 30 years it could wait a little longer. I was on for nearly as long as you have been, a little longer should be okay if you’re struggling.

:smitten: