Why Benzos are not Banned?

[...]

Why cant they ban benzos worldwide? So many people are suffering because of it. I thought to end my life many times. I'm like a dead man. I don't  know how I'm living. The doctor that put me on this is free enjoying his life and I'm still living in hell after 8.5 months.

I want the doctor punished. I want to punch him in the face. Why he gave me this poison?

>:(

A few weeks ago I walked into a pharmacy and I saw a man asking for Xanax tablets. Just by looking at him I could tell he was in a very bad shape. He looked more like a drug addict. This poison is ruining so many lives. Doctors should be held accountable for what they are doing. Every one is different and they are testing these poison on human and saying you would be perfectly ok just stop taking it and dont come into my office till three months. Thats what my doc said and I wanted to punch him in the face but somehow I controlled myself. I regret till this day.

Doctors prescribe medications/drugs because they are taught to do so in medical school.  Medical schools are heavily financed by drug companies. I doubt any doctor prescribes a drug to harm his patients. Doctors are doing what they’ve been taught to do so for the most part. 

A ‘punch in the face’ won’t solve anything and may get you in a lot of trouble. Instead I would consider educating the doctor by telling him how the benzodiazepine has affected you.

As much as benzos have ruined a lot of my life, I do think they have their place in very short term situations. For example right before major surgery. A week’s supply after the death of a loved one. To someone rushed to the ER and given a few but no prescription. Fear of flying. One dose going and one dose returning. I too wanted to punch my doctor but realized I would be the one who ended up in prison. Now that I’m more clear headed I realized she was really trying to help me, but was plain ignorant. Instead I sent her a long email explaining what benzos do, how to taper and an attachment of the manual. She told me she changed her job and is now doing research. I’m assuming big pharma is paying for this. 😔 SMH. I’d still like to pee on sternbachs grave.

As much as benzos have ruined a lot of my life, I do think they have their place in very short term situations. For example right before major surgery. A week’s supply after the death of a loved one. To someone rushed to the ER and given a few but no prescription. Fear of flying. One dose going and one dose returning. I too wanted to punch my doctor but realized I would be the one who ended up in prison. Now that I’m more clear headed I realized she was really trying to help me, but was plain ignorant. Instead I sent her a long email explaining what benzos do, how to taper and an attachment of the manual. She told me she changed her job and is now doing research. I’m assuming big pharma is paying for this. 😔 SMH. I’d still like to pee on sternbachs grave.

:thumbsup: I'll join you Betsy.  :smitten:

Challis- I agree doctors are practicing as they learned in med school and BWS is not taught. However, once a patient experiences BWS and tells their doc and said doc tosses the patient aside, then it is not just the med school that is to blame. Then the doctor is responsible for not learning, not listening, not investigating. All of us have informed our doctors but if they don’t believe us, then I believe they are responsible. Responsible for not helping us and for the next person they give Benzo a to. BWS is not rare and it not a secret and it does have research and natural course mapped out, mainly by Ashton but also by prominent American doctors as well. When individual doctors turn a blind eye to all this info, then yes, they are responsible even if they didn’t learn it yrs ago in medical school. BWS is too common and too severe and totally preventable. Maybe a doctor is trying to help. But if they wrote you off once you explain w/d, then they are not trying to help. They are trying to get rid of you- to make a difficult problem not be THEIR problem. At this point, they are responsible and they are not trying to help. Because the info is out there and Available- it’s not an unknown mystery.

The root of these issues may be big pharma but individual doctors are definitely part of the ongoing problem too.

They are useful drugs for some things they are just too widely prescribed and should not be used for MH conditions such as anxiety or insomnia for which there are better treatments.

They are useful drugs for some things they are just too widely prescribed and should not be used for MH conditions such as anxiety or insomnia for which there are better treatments.

:thumbsup:

Challis- I agree doctors are practicing as they learned in med school and BWS is not taught. However, once a patient experiences BWS and tells their doc and said doc tosses the patient aside, then it is not just the med school that is to blame. Then the doctor is responsible for not learning, not listening, not investigating. All of us have informed our doctors but if they don’t believe us, then I believe they are responsible. Responsible for not helping us and for the next person they give Benzo a to. BWS is not rare and it not a secret and it does have research and natural course mapped out, mainly by Ashton but also by prominent American doctors as well. When individual doctors turn a blind eye to all this info, then yes, they are responsible even if they didn’t learn it yrs ago in medical school. BWS is too common and too severe and totally preventable. Maybe a doctor is trying to help. But if they wrote you off once you explain w/d, then they are not trying to help. They are trying to get rid of you- to make a difficult problem not be THEIR problem. At this point, they are responsible and they are not trying to help. Because the info is out there and Available- it’s not an unknown mystery.

The root of these issues may be big pharma but individual doctors are definitely part of the ongoing problem too.

Agreed, although I think they have to hear it from more than one patient to begin to suspect that the medication is truly the problem.  That’s why I always mention it to new providers that I go to, in hopes it’ll register at some point in the future if not at that time. They most often get a fleeting ‘uh oh, a whacko’ look in their eyes (either that or I’m a little paranoid  :laugh: ) but once in awhile a medical professional validates it.

Why cant they ban benzos worldwide? So many people are suffering because of it. I thought to end my life many times. I'm like a dead man. I don't  know how I'm living. The doctor that put me on this is free enjoying his life and I'm still living in hell after 8.5 months.

I want the doctor punished. I want to punch him in the face. Why he gave me this poison?

>:(

I sure understand your anger as I have been there many times. I sure don't want benzo's banned. There are too many of us still on them and have already been through a horrific C/T. There are circumstances where they are much needed, especially in the critical care areas of hospitals. I worked in them and gave a lot of IV Benzo's and Propofol drips. Propofol is a short acting barbiuate which is used to keep patients sedated, especially burn patients. Also, people who have a death or traumatic experience should be able to have them very short term. When my Dad died of a heart attack, my Mom was give a 10 day supply of Xanax to get her through. She never took all of them, but they helped her during that time. We need more benzo wise Dr's that know how to prescribe them and be educated on benzo withdrawal, letting the patient control the taper.

This is true. When my daughter died last summer. I layed on the hospital floor in shock. I could not move. I held it together long enough to run her into the ER operating table but once it was out of my hands I went into complete shock. I could not move. They kept asking me to get up into a chair. I could not even speak coherently. I would try to speak but just mumbling came out. I was vibrating and shaking. I felt like I was going to explode. My heart was racing. They took my vitals as I lay on the floor in shock. They put a wrist band on my arm and a Xanax in my mouth. Within 20 minutes I was standing and calling our family to come to the hospital. I then was able to sit there and deliver the bad news to our family. That is how powerful and effective these drugs are. Should they have just admitted me to psych? That would have been terrible. That single Xanax corrected the state of shock I had gone into. They made the right choice. These drugs do have a place. The wrong choice, however was made by my PCP who suggested I start taking it every night to help with my lack of sleep caused by my grieving. That’s what got me into trouble.

This is true. When my daughter died last summer. I layed on the hospital floor in shock. I could not move. I held it together long enough to run her into the ER operating table but once it was out of my hands I went into complete shock. I could not move. They kept asking me to get up into a chair. I could not even speak coherently. I would try to speak but just mumbling came out. I was vibrating and shaking. I felt like I was going to explode. My heart was racing. They took my vitals as I lay on the floor in shock. They put a wrist band on my arm and a Xanax in my mouth. Within 20 minutes I was standing and calling our family to come to the hospital. I then was able to sit there and deliver the bad news to our family. That is how powerful and effective these drugs are. Should they have just admitted me to psych? That would have been terrible. That single Xanax corrected the state of shock I had gone into. They made the right choice. These drugs do have a place. The wrong choice, however was made by my PCP who suggested I start taking it every night to help with my lack of sleep caused by my grieving. That’s what got me into trouble.

Jack,

I am so sorry about you losing your daughter. I can't imagine losing my son.

They did the right thing by giving you that 1 Xanax to get you through that horrible time.

The PCP did the wrong thing by giving every night. I am sure he thought he was helping you, but made a big mistake. I was put on K in the hospital because I was having a horrible reaction to a hormone patch. I was having issues with heart arrhythmias, fluid loss, CNS issue etc. I was put on K, but should have only been on it until the effects of the patch left my system. Instead I was discharged on it. If only they knew how and when to prescribe it.

Thank you Dana. The hospital did release me with a script for five .25 mg pills. I think this was a very conservative script. I think this is an example of responsible benzo prescribing. Yes my PCP made a mistake. I have already forgiven him for the harm he caused me. He is a good man. He did not know he was hurting me. He tried to help me get off of them. He is always willing to help. He wrote me my script for liquid Remeron when no psychs would help me. He always listens to me and never dismisses my symptoms. He keeps and open mind and is always honest with me. I will continue to have him as my PCP for as long as possible. However, this experience has made me realize that all doctors are human and therefore are flawed. I now research everything and make my own decisions on what to put in my body. I swallowed the pill. Therefore I am just as responsible as he is. I hope he learned from what happened to me.

Dana- what hormone patch were you on?  So the benzo reverses the side effects of the patch? How long has you been on the patch? And what was it prescribed for?

I do believe in forgiveness and have forgiven the guy who put me on this. I don't remember his name. This was back in 1998 and I did not have a computer. I truly don't think he meant to harm me. Lack of education and  knowledge. I do get angry at times, but that is normal.

I am so glad you are benzo free and that is my goal. Already had a bad C/T many years back, so still working on it due to life's circumstances.  :)