Xanax ER to Valium Tapering Plan (too aggressive?)

[Fi...]

Hi. 

I was on Xanax ER for approximately 10 years.  Started at a 0.5mg dose and slowly worked my way up to a 2mg dose, then back down to 1.5mg.  I recently decided to withdraw from benzos due to significant neurological effects developing (mostly acute anterograde amnesia, forgetting words, speaking slowly).  I am using a modified version of the Ashton Manual with help from a very understanding psychiatrist. 

I crossed directly over from 1.5mg Xanax ER to 20mg Valium (less than recommended by the Ashton Manual) with minimal symptoms (literally just stopped taking Xanax ER and started taking Valium).  After 2 weeks I cut down to 17.5mg with few symptoms.  I plan to reduce to 15mg next week.  I will continue with 2.5mg weekly reductions until I reach 10mg, then go to 1mg weekly reductions.  I will slow it down if I feel bad withdrawal symptoms.

Thoughts on whether this is too aggressive?

Thanks!

Sounds like things are going well so far. ValIum is a long-acting benzodiazepine so you may want to consider two week holds so symptoms don’t  pile up all of a sudden.

In your case, I think you'd be wise to seek an opinion from www.survivingantidepressants.org.  They probably have the most experience and know-how out there, as pertains to polydrugging, and they're very big on harm reduction.  It's still early days for you and with several psych drugs in the mix, you do want to try and get off to the best possible start.

Wish you best of luck! :thumbsup:

In your case, I think you'd be wise to seek an opinion from www.survivingantidepressants.org.  They probably have the most experience and know-how out there, as pertains to polydrugging, and they're very big on harm reduction.  It's still early days for you and with several psych drugs in the mix, you do want to try and get off to the best possible start.

Wish you best of luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks...just signed up there and asked.

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]