Hello - Xanax ER to Valium Tapering Plan (too aggressive?)

[Fi...]

Hi.  I was on Xanax ER for approximately 10 years.  Started at a 0.5mg dose and slowly worked my way up to a 2mg dose, then back down to 1.5mg.  I recently decided to withdraw from benzos due to significant neurological effects developing (mostly acute anterograde amnesia).  I am using a modified version of the Ashton Manual with help from a very understanding psychiatrist.  I crossed directly over from 1.5mg Xanax ER to 20mg Valium (less than recommended by the Ashton Manual) with minimal symptoms (literally just stopped taking Xanax ER and started taking Valium).  After 2 weeks I cut down to 17.5mg with few symptoms.  I plan to reduce to 15mg next week.  I will continue with 2.5mg weekly reductions until I reach 10mg, then go to 1mg weekly reductions.  I will slow it down if I feel bad withdrawal symptoms.

Hello Fish77 :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We are glad you found us, you will get plenty of support here, congratulations on your decision to taper off these drugs.  It sounds like you are coping well with your taper so far, so well done. Our members are very friendly and supportive and will share their experience with you.  Feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards and ask any questions you have

The generally accepted taper rate is 5-10%, every 10 to 14 days.  The rate can be adjusted to meet your needs.  Tapering slowly can help keep withdrawal symptoms manageable.  Although symptoms can be rough at times, they are temporary. 

I am glad you found the Ashton Manual,  It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.

Here are some useful links:

Professor Ashtons Manual

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support This is an excellent board to connect with members and share benzo withdrawal experiences.

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita