Should I get a dog?

[88...]

Kind of a hilarious post for here but I’m serious.

I’ve wanted one all my life.  It’s never the right time.

Now the absurdity of withdrawal (9.5 months off; very bad but I function in NYC, can get myself to appointments, handle a limited work schedule etc.) is the latest reason it doesn’t feel like the right time. But is it ever?

I actually think it could be the best thing for me. Nothing works to distract me but dogs do.

I just want to know I can handle caring for a dog when I’m so rough. But I think I would rise to it.

Anyway I really welcome your thoughts on this. Is it time to rescue a pug and name him Espresso?

How much are you away from home during the day or for work schedule?  Ya def. need some time to commit to a new dog in your life.  If ya have the time,  Heck Yes, get a dog!  Mine is a big part of my physical and mental survival. We have to go for walks and runs.  I have to pay attention, feed, train and give love. 

My dog would sit on my feet and legs when they were cramping and curling during acute.  She stayed close to me through all of that nightmare. 

She is the best and everyday I try to pay her back with a fun walk or run off leash.

I got one last July but I’m home alday and permanently disabled. She is 16 months old this month a chihuahua since I live on the 5th floor I found it easier to train her to use a litter box she brings me great joy. I’ve had dogs my whole life 2 lived to be 17 years old both Chihuahuas so I tend to have good luck with them

I have a dog, she is about 13 years old now and I love her more than anything else on this planet. And I agree having a dog can be life saving and beautiful. And here comes the BUT.

It takes time to get into a routine with a new dog or even a puppy. They are like little children. You have to go for a walk at least 3 times daily. You need to be able to be strong, act without stress, set rules again and again. I don't think I could have been able to be a good mum for her in the acute withdrawal (this was about 2 years ago) or even when I tapered. You have to leave bed early, you have to care for the dog, - its a challenge even today and she is very old now. You just cannot stay on the sofa when you feel unwell and its raining outside. And you need to bring the dog under other dogs to socialize meaning you have to be able to handle this kind of stressful situation as well.

I would recommend to inform yourself a lot about how to handle a dog, about dog language and how they communicate - and maybe walk some dogs from a shelter or help them for some days, just to get a feeling that it is a lot more than having someone to hug and to feed. Because this someone might bring you on the edge from time to time ::)

Another point is - will you work full time one day again? Who will take care for the dog then? It should only be alone for about 5-6 hours but some of them cannot be alone for such a time and need more time among others or with you.

Same for holidays, you need to go where your dog can go, too. Party time, going out - keep in mind that there is someone alone at home then.

But if you are ready and you feel you can handle this - go for it, and then I would get a dog from a shelter, not a puppy if it is your first dog!

[a9...]
I agree with everything Marigold has said. I got a puppy last Xmas and it was very hard going for the first 6 months, up and down every night taking her to the toilet and training and exercise, the lack of sleep put me into many waves and although my partner helped a lot there were times when i wished i hadn't got her. But the hard work paid off, she will be one year old next week and is the light of my life! I would say do a bit of research into what type of dog might suit you and your lifestyle best.however, If you only want a dog to cuddle during waves i would suggest you go to the toy shop. Best of Luck!

I wonder if you could foster a dog to see how it goes. That way it's not a permanent commitment. Josephga that's so interesting that a dog can use a litter box.  I always wonder how people in cities take the dogs out several times a day.

[a9...]
That's a great idea, my son fostered 3 dogs one after the other and said it was great, he was well prepared for when he got his own dog last year.

as long as you feel you can take care of the dog, i would say go for it. there's great psychological health benefits from having a pet. i'd love to have a pet bunny, but they're actually so rare to find these days.

Have you considered a professionally trained "Service Dog"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_dog

A friend of mine who has suffered several traumatic brain injuries from professional motorcycle racing takes his almost everywhere he goes. My friend takes several prescribed medications which he sometimes forgets to take and his dog "alerts" to his emotional distress to remind him.

I see many more service dogs than I used to in many different settings as I travel.

Best Wishes

A pug named Espresso?:) That sounds great)) I would say only get a dog if you are going to rescue on or if it's a service dog, but before you do I wanted to share a story of my dog, which sadly became part of the reason that I got started on benzos. I had a beautiful German shorthair for 11 years, his name was Ben, he was a great and very smart dog, with a lot of energy and he was my beloved baby. When my now ex husband wanted to get him, I was all against it but then I fell in love with the little puppy that he brought and he became " my dog". I was never a dog person but I turned into this crazy dog mama who would walk him every single day, take him to the dog park, get up in all kinds of weather and very often 2-3 times a night because he had a bad stomack and needed to go out. It was like having a baby, except the one that would never grow up. I spent so much money on him, because one day he would swallow a fish hook at the pond where we always walked and I'd have to have it removed, or he would hurt himself getting into a fight with another dog and I just lost count of the money that was spent on food, vets, toys, etc.. By the time he was 9 years old, he developed kidney failure, and for the last two years of his life I spent every single night having to give him an infusion in his neck, which took a half hour every time, and that prolonged his life, and he was able to have some quality to it too, but during those two years I wasn't able to take any trips, because nobody else could do the infusions and I would worry out of my mind when I left him alone to go to work for more than 5 hours because he hated to be alone. When he died two years later I was so heart broken, that I couldn't function at work, and I developed a terrible anxiety, I also had a high stress job at the time, so it wasn't all my dog's death but that was part of the reason that I got on benzos to begin with. So long story short) before you get a dog please make sure you weigh all pros and cons. If you rescue one, that will be a great thing for the dog, but how about you? There are just so many responsibilities involved. I loved my dog so much, but i'm sad to say that I'll probably never get another dog because I learnt my lesson, and it's just unfair to them. Sorry if I got you discouraged, all dogs of course are very different and pugs are definitely great house pets, good luck in making your decision!!

As someone who lives alone and has no family, my cat was my #1 support throughout my entire WD process. I don't think I would have gotten through it without that emotional support. Cats and dogs are both extremely intuitive and great at helping their humans when times are tough. I think a positive benefit with a dog would be that you'd get even more emotional support, but they also more dependent on humans to take care of them,  I would just make sure you're at a point where you can take the dog out for walks when needed.