Klonopin as needed

[Da...]

hello everyone!  I have 2 main questions, I spent the weekend on some other forums and got TOTALLY FREAKED OUT. 

My history: after many years of abuse and PTSD I was given klonopin (for 1st time) maybe 15 years ago, I dnt remember.  I used them "as needed" (at that time I abused them and ddnt realize the dangers as I also did many other drugs legal and illegal). 

I came off of them very easily and ddnt have any for maybe 6 years.  I then developed a severe panic disorder after my grandmother died and was given them again (about 7 years ago).  I used them daily for the first few weeks and then I only used them in rescue situations or to confront one of my phobic situations.  I went long period w no use, maybe up to almost 6 months (maybe 5). 

I had gone on leave from work (very stressful job) and when I returned I started taking them about 3 times a week.  I even had to increase my small dose (for the first time ever this lifetime) from .25 to either another one or half another one. (But that only happened 2 times). I knew this wasnt the direction to go in so I decided to quit my career of 10 years, take out my small pension and HEAL. That regular use (3 times a week) was for about 5 months (a little less).  Last week I took 3 doses and at the end ended up w horrific migraine on and off for the last 5 days. 

now I am freaking out for 2 main reasons. 1)how do we tirate if we dont take benzo everyday?  Some people are saying I would have to start to take it everyday!  No way.. 2) this kindling issue! I had never heard of this.  I've used them on a d off for so long.. does this mean I CAN NEVER TAKE A RESCUE DOSE AGAIN IF NEEDED?  BECAUSE THAT thought threw me into quit a tailspin last night.  I am now noticing so many of my issues (horrid migraines after klonopin, sensory issues, worsening panic attacks and phobias, some weird mental dissociated states) are all probably bc of this!  How will I even live my life, I was housebound w the ability to use a benzo (at some points) how will I function without it!?

Thanks for listening.

Sometimes the body adapts to less-than-daily dosing over time. Through I wouldn’t advocate daily use if you haven’t been a daily user, I’d try tapering the amount I used when I did take a dose to see if that worked.

Thank you Challis!  I think that plan makes the most sense. I usually take them when I am doing an activity I am phobic about (travel, social, far away at all).  I am planning on taking a little time and not doing any of these events that would cause me to take them.  It's very rare I've had to take an emergency dose but that is possible.  I am worried to even take an emergency dose with the kindling effect.  If I do I will take less.  I am hoping it's possible I am will not have severe withdrawal. Last one I took was 6 days ago and I had migraines.  (Could also be some eating some things I am not supposed to.)  Is it possible this could not be a big deal for me? I ddnt take daily and I havent gone up in dosage (save one time).  I am still on .25.. but it has been a lot of years of off on on during rough times..  thanks for all support.

I beg to differ.

Taking them as needed just confuses your central nervous system. Honestly it’s much better to take benzos at the same dose and same time every day. But if you don’t want to take them every day that’s your option too. Klonopin can be a very sneaky drug. You have a history of abusing them and that’s not something your body will forget. I think you are already dependent on them. You also said you used them daily for several weeks. This is plenty of time to become dependent.

I hope you have a good doctor who can help you taper them. Plus you said you took other legal and illegal drugs, I’m not sure which ones but they could affect your benzo use. You could try what challis99 suggested. It’s the same thing I would say. IMO start at .25 mg every day if you decide you want to take them every day for your taper.  Good luck to you though. It’s a great idea to get off these drugs. You’re on a small dose so that certainly works in your favor. Me, my dose was insanely high but I managed. I’m sure you will too.

Thanks benzogirl.  I took them daily, for a few weeks, about 7 years ago.  I abused all kinds of drugs in my 20s (41 now).  I am hoping my body forgives that!  I think I will take only if I get an acute panic attack, and a little less than before.  I took them before doing things I am phobic about.  So I will not do those things for a while.  I am home to heal.  I have a lot of work to do.  Thank u, and sending love.

Hi again...posting your PM as we discussed:

Hi Challis! Sorry to send a PM.  I am as on and off klonopin for years.  .25.  The past 4 months I took it average 3 times a week.  I quit my job bc I ddnt like where it was going.  I knew these were bad but not as bad until i got on the forums and groups.  Do you think it's possible i can stop using w no horrid effects?

No one can know the answer to this until you try it.  I would be surprised if you had ‘horrible’ effects, but I simply don’t know and you won’t know either until/unless you go a couple of weeks without it.  Wish I had a better answer. As Betsy said, most people take it daily, so they have a basis for tapering. Every other day use is more unpredictable.

I always realize over the years my anxiety for worse and worse, despite doing so many therapies.  I always had this as a safety blankey.. not sure how to live without it.  My understanding is a rescue does is bad after being off?  Gosh that's all I did for years! Thanks for your beautiful support here.

Another question that is impossible to know the answer.  Most people want nothing to do with a benzodiazepine once they’re off. They instead look for coping techniques that work for them.

On a cheerier note, you may find that the panic disorder you were taking them for (grandma’s loss) has actually gone away as the grief process took its course.  Benzodiazepines are well known for actually causing worsening anxiety over time. That’s exactly what happened to me. I was prescribed a benzodiazepine for grief/anxiety and it resulted in an anxiety that was actually benzodiazepine-driven.

I beg to differ.

Taking them as needed just confuses your central nervous system. Honestly it’s much better to take benzos at the same dose and same time every day. But if you don’t want to take them every day that’s your option too. Klonopin can be a very sneaky drug. You have a history of abusing them and that’s not something your body will forget. I think you are already dependent on them. You also said you used them daily for several weeks. This is plenty of time to become dependent.

I hope you have a good doctor who can help you taper them. Plus you said you took other legal and illegal drugs, I’m not sure which ones but they could affect your benzo use. You could try what challis99 suggested. It’s the same thing I would say. IMO start at .25 mg every day if you decide you want to take them every day for your taper.  Good luck to you though. It’s a great idea to get off these drugs. You’re on a small dose so that certainly works in your favor. Me, my dose was insanely high but I managed. I’m sure you will too.

No worries...you know more about klonopin than I do.  :smitten:

I beg to differ.

No worries...you know more about klonopin than I do.  :smitten:

I can’t say I’m proud of that but it’s certainly true. I once posted that I hold the record for the most klonopin. You’d be amazed how many people agreed. Lol 😆  :laugh: