How Magic Mushrooms Can Help Smokers Kick The Habit

[Fi...]

How Magic Mushrooms Can Help Smokers Kick The Habit

October 15, 20194:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/766057380/how-magic-mushrooms-can-help-smokers-kick-the-habit

".

New research shows that psilocybin may be an effective treatment for diseases like depression and addiction. While the work is still in its early stages, there are signs that psilocybin might help addicts shake the habit by causing the brain to talk with itself in different ways.

"These brain changes lead to, often times, a sense of unity," says Matthew Johnson, an experimental psychologist at Johns Hopkins University. It all may sound a little "woo-woo," he admits, but it seems to be working. Early results suggest that psilocybin, coupled with therapy, may be far more effective than other treatments for smoking, such as the nicotine patch.

Magic mushrooms have been used by indigenous communities for thousands of years, and research on psilocybin isn't all that new, either. Work began in the 1950s and 1960s. But studies involving it and other psychedelics dropped off following the passage of the Controlled Substance Act in 1970, which outlawed hallucinogens and other drugs.

Psilocybin seems to work because it temporarily rewires the brain, according to Johnson. Sections that don't normally talk to each other appear to communicate more, and parts of the brain that normally do talk to each other, talk less.

Johnson says an analogy is to imagine living in a city where you suddenly stop talking to your neighbors, and start talking to people way across town you don't normally talk to. "That can lead to novel ways of looking at oneself, thinking about the world in a different way, having insightful experiences," Johnson says.

David Nutt, a professor of neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London, says that in addition to making connections, psilocybin also seems to break negative linkages in the brain. His studies on treating depression with psilocybin show that the drug can disrupt negative feedback networks in the brain. "That network is nonfunctioning for many hours," he says. "By breaking down those networks, there's a chance they won't reform."

."

I haven't "seen" the science, but I use these to help support my Benzo taper/withdraw.

#1 plant ally

Heather Elizabeth

There is a ton of stuff on YouTube and elsewhere about this. How did you use them to help?

I've microdosed, but didn't see much difference.

I have thought about this "Bypassing" a lot in term of GABA. I don't really understand how any of that works, or if its what is actually causing our problems. But if there are trillions (is that accurate) of gaba receptors, does that mean that many of them have been injured, or just a small percentage? And if its a small percentage, could they be bypassed in some way to let the functional ones do the work? I'm sure that's just a dumb idea that demonstrates my ignorance of the brain. But it seems like that's kind of how psychedelics promote healing in the brain. But maybe neural pathways and gaba receptors are too different? I don't know. I just wish the same medicines that have such potential for healing mental trauma had the same potential for our type of trauma.

quiet

David Nutt, a professor of neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London, says that in addition to making connections, psilocybin also seems to break negative linkages in the brain. His studies on treating depression with psilocybin show that the drug can disrupt negative feedback networks in the brain. "That network is nonfunctioning for many hours," he says. "By breaking down those networks, there's a chance they won't reform."

."

How...um, unfortunate - given his line of work...  ;D  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Prof Nutt just testified here in the High Court in South Africa on behalf of the decriminalization of marijuana. Brilliant scientist and a really nice guy. Great sense of humor. They won the case.

Following. (My husband is professionally involved in researching and developing the use of psilocybin in tincture form, to treat trauma and, possibly, withdrawal issues.) Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Wildflower

."

How...um, unfortunate - given his line of work...  ;D  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Prof Nutt just testified here in the High Court in South Africa on behalf of the decriminalization of marijuana. Brilliant scientist and a really nice guy. Great sense of humor. They won the case.

Following. (My husband is professionally involved in researching and developing the use of psilocybin in tincture form, to treat trauma and, possibly, withdrawal issues.) Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Wildflower

Can you post any research about this? I'm very interested...

David Nutt is an interesting guy. His specialty is actually .... benzodiazepines. He has argued for years for their safety and efficacy. I don't know where he stands on that now. Some old quotes,

“The number dependent on benzodiazepines in the UK from 1960 to 1977 has been estimated at twenty-eight persons. This is equivalent to a dependence rate of 5–10 cases per million patient months.”

“The case for benzodiazepine dependence causing real damage has not been made.”

Perhaps he has come around more recently..if so he certainly hasn't done so publicly and with any action. He seems to have moved on to other ventures including...

He was famous for awhile for attempting to produce (and "hopefully" sell) what was basically a nonalcoholic drink called Alcarelle that worked like alcohol. Like a hangover free booze. It was based on a benzodiazepine derivative; I don't know where he is on the research or implementation of that, though, of course, it sounds completely insane to me. Semi-recently he claimed that they were no longer using a benzo in the formula but that what they were using would remain a secret.

He's really a fascinating guy, and always in fights with the British government and establishment. He is associate with The Beckley Foundation, which is looking into the therapeutic uses of LSD and other psychedelics.

I think Dr. Nutt has a very permissive view on many drugs. I think his LSD research is interesting. I think his benzo research was disastrous; he has received renumeration from a great many members of Pharma.