Withdrawal symptoms

[De...]

I have gone CT from Klonopin for 3 weeks now. I had tapered to .25mg, twice a day from .5, three times a day (for 10 years).

My doctor wasn't willing to help me taper any more after I suggested cutting the tablets into fourths, so I went to .25 once a day (only for a week), then CT.

My symptoms are crazy.  The first week I had off and on dizziness, weakness, blurred vision, and it didn't help that I had a virus that was going around work that lasted 10 days.

I couldn't sleep at all, I had horrible night sweats, weight loss (down to 116 lbs. from 125). 

Two weeks in I noticed ringing in my ears and strange nerve like pains in my gut.  I'm so anxious that withdrawal MAY HAVE triggered my body into an autoimmune reaction. I'm being tested for a hyper thyroid. I'm having the same symptoms that I had 25 years ago when my thyroid was hyper. I'm not sure if withdrawal caused it, or if it would have happened anyway.

A week ago my stomach started hurting and yesterday I began worrying that something was wrong in that area. I was so worried that I took .25 mg to see if the pain would go away and it did.  I'm going to resume not taking them today, but these symptoms are hard to deal with.

Has anyone had other problems caused by withdrawal?  My doctor cancelled my scheduled appointment so my next one isn't until Nov. 8Th. I'm not sure what to do.  Part of me wants to take .25 mg a day until I see him, but I've done so well in the past 3 weeks and don't want to start over again.

I'm just looking for support.  Someone who may have gone through this experience. Should I resume until I see the doctor?  He didn't tell me of the dangers of quitting, of the dangers of taking this long term.  I had to educate myself after I quit and felt horrible.  Wish I had known better in the beginning.

Hi,

It is pronably not a good idea to cold turkey and torture yourself. I am so sorry you are going through this. Drs dont seem to understand anything about benzos. Believe me i have been

through it too. Would your dr be willing to taper you off?. I know how hard it is because most of the time they dont believe you. Could you talk to.your dr and see if you can do a slow taper. If it was me and i had intolersble sx i would probably take the .25 and hold. Then see if you can taper off slowly. We can help you set up a taper plan. Read through the taper plans on the home page. You could also show the dr the aston manual. Just my opinion. Dont let him rush you,. If you do reinstate and taper.  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for replying.

I'm going to see my doctor in 2 weeks.  He helped me taper from 1.5 mg a day to 1 mg a day, but I got impatient.

On days like today I am tempted to take .25 mg.  I've noticed that my symptoms are worse when I am not working.  At work I don't have time to think bad thoughts.  Today I was convinced I had something wrong with me.  It became hard to swallow and I noticed my breathing was real shallow.  I tried slow breathing but that didn't help.  Once the cause of stress was gone, I felt better.

It seems like I'm overreacting all the time.  I have to keep that in check because I work with kids and don't want them to be stressed because of me.  Fortunately when I'm at work my mind is on my job and not thinking horrible thoughts, like I'm dying, or sad because of one little incident. 

I think I may reinstate to .25 mg a day.  I'm not going to feel badly because of it either.  I should have been more patient in the first place.

Thanks again!  :)

If I were you I would reinstate and do the slow taper.  You can use the Ashton method, but in my opinion, even that may be too fast for some people (probably me).  There are so many ways, most people say do what works for you.  You may need to do a gradual 6 month taper (that's what I would suggest).  Water titration with a good scale can get you what you need.  I think this can save you a lot of grief.  I'm still having mental problems at 14 months.