Need help making liquid Valium using Ora Plus or water and taper plan

[An...]

I would like to make liquid Valium using pills. I tried the commercial liquid and it did not agree with me.

I have read many variations of doing this and would like to keep it simple using milk or water. 

I have 2mg pills.  And I take 1.5 mg a.m. and 1 mg at noon. 

How much liquid should I use and should I disolve 1 mg or 2mg in the liquid?  What would the mg/ml ratio be?

I appreciate any assistance. 

I would like to make liquid Valium using pills. I tried the commercial liquid and it did not agree with me.

I have read many variations of doing this and would like to keep it simple using milk or water. 

I have 2mg pills.  And I take 1.5 mg a.m. and 1 mg at noon. 

How much liquid should I use and should I disolve 1 mg or 2mg in the liquid?  What would the mg/ml ratio be?

I appreciate any assistance.

1) You can NOT make a solution with just water.  But you CAN dissolve your tablet in a tiny amount of vodka (alcohol), or propylene glycol, then dilute it with water.

2)  Milk will work fine, its just a little less convenient because of perishability.

3)  The most convenient ratios are .1mg=1ml, or .01mg = 1ml.  Then there really is no math when converting mgs to mls.

I can't do alcohol and I'm not sure I want to use PG as I think I am sensitive to chemicals.  Can I let it dissolve in the milk then mix it?

How much milk would I use to get the ratio you mentioned. Sorry I am not good with the math.  Thank you

Thank you. Does it matter if I stir or shake the liquid? I have read conflicting statements about the method of mixing.

Once it dissolves, it will remain stable.  No further agitation really required.  But...it certainly doesn't hurt.  Out of habit, I almost always shake any liquid before I take it.

Dissolve 16mg (8 tablets) in 160ml fresh milk.  This gives you approx. a 6-7 day supply, .1mg=1ml.

I want yo try doing .5 mg at a time rather than my entire dose.  If I mix one2mg pill with 20ml of milk I get the same ratio of .1mg/1ml?

So 5ml would equal .5 mg?

Sorry,  but I always like to double and triple check my math sice I get confused. Thank you.

Dissolve 16mg (8 tablets) in 160ml fresh milk.  This gives you approx. a 6-7 day supply, .1mg=1ml.

I want yo try doing .5 mg at a time rather than my entire dose. If I mix one2mg pill with 20ml of milk I get the same ratio of .1mg/1ml?

So 5ml would equal .5 mg?

Sorry,  but I always like to double and triple check my math sice I get confused. Thank you.

Yes.

• 1 year later...

I currently take 1.5 mg Valium a.m. and 1mg Valium p.m.  I would like to make a liquid  to taper(i tried Roxanne Liquid and it made me sick). I would like to try using the Ora plus as I feel a suspension would be best to use unless water would be better.

Could someone advise me how to use the Oraplus or a water titration? Do I need mortar and pestel or can I use a pill crusher? I have 2mg pills, how much Oraplus would I use to make a good ratio and would I dilute it?

What are the pros and cons to each method?

Thank you!

Hi Ann0427,

I merged your current request for help with your previous one, did you try to make a solution using whole milk or decide against it?

Pamster

No, I did not try the milk. I was afraid to do that because I cant tell if everything is dissolved. How would I know?  At the time I asked the previous questions about it I was thinking of tapering Ativan and Valium at the same time, but decided to just work on the Ativan. I will be done in a few weeks with Ativan and want to have a plan in place to taper the Valium but not sure what to do.

Hello, Ann0427. 

It’s regrettable you were not able to tolerate the commercially manufactured oral solution of diazepam. If you are concerned about whether or not each and every molecule of the drug is fully and completely dissolved in your liquid medication, it is the preferred option.

How are you tapering Ativan?

Have you checked out the ingredients in OraPlus to evaluate whether or not you might be sensitive to them?

Have you considered finding and working with a compounding pharmacist who could prepare a liquid with a suitable concentration (e.g. 0.1mg/mL) that does not contain ingredients to which you are sensitive?

Hi, thank you for replying. I use the commercial Ativan liquid to taper and have had no problems with it. Im not sure what in the Roxanne liquid I reacted to. 

I haven't looked into compounding as im not guaranteed they will use my brand of Valium.  I really would like to make my own liquid and hoping for some advice from this site.

You are welcome. I will defer to others on making a homebrew liquid using OraPlus or water.

FYI ...

In an earlier post, you indicated you did not want to use alcohol and might be sensitive to propylene glycol.  Here are the main ingredients for the lorazepam oral concentrate (Intensol):

LORAZEPAM (UNII: O26FZP769L

POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL, UNSPECIFIED (UNII: 3WJQ0SDW1A)

PROPYLENE GLYCOL (UNII: 6DC9Q167V3)

Here are the ingredients for the 5mg/5mL oral solution of diazepam:

DIAZEPAM (UNII: Q3JTX2Q7TU)

ANHYDROUS CITRIC ACID (UNII: XF417D3PSL)

D&C YELLOW NO. 10 (UNII: 35SW5USQ3G)

FD&C RED NO. 40 (UNII: WZB9127XOA)

POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 1000 (UNII: U076Q6Q621)

PROPYLENE GLYCOL (UNII: 6DC9Q167V3)

SODIUM CITRATE, UNSPECIFIED FORM (UNII: 1Q73Q2JULR)

SORBITOL (UNII: 506T60A25R)

WATER (UNII: 059QF0KO0R)

As you’ll note, both of the above include propylene glycol (PG).

Re: the ingredients in OraPlus ...

Here’s what I found in a quick search (you’ll want to double-check):

Purified water, microcrystalline cellulose, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, xanthan gum, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, trisodium phosphate, citric acid and sodium phosphate as buffers, dimethicone antifoam emulsion. Preserved with methylparaben and potassium sorbate.

Thank you for looking that up. It could be the dies and flavoring that I reacted to. I also think the difference of  strength of the active ingredients.  My dr. Said it can be up to a 30% difference between brands.  I tried it for 13 days and when I went back to the pill I could tell the pill was stronger. I felt almost drunk an hour after I took the pill and within a few days was better and back to my baseline WD symptoms. ( I'm in ssri WD since March 2018)

Hopefully someone will come along with some advice but appreciate what you shared.

I've been asking around since I don't have taper or titration experience and very few of our members have used OraPlus so I'm not sure we're going to find anyone with experience to help you with this. 

What do you plan to use to dissolve the tablet if you don't want to use milk, alcohol or propylene glycol?

I'm still wondering about the possibility of using a professionally formulated suspension, if your Dr wrote the script to a compounding pharmacy with no substitutions allowed the pharmacy would be bound to use the drug prescribed.